So. E3 PS2 on PS4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Dude, where's my Wraith?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-06-10, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Figment
Lieutenant General

So. E3 PS2 on PS4

Noticed PS2 made it to the Sony press conference (some seconds of gameplay in a trailer for F2P).

Is that the first time the main Sony conference acknowledged SOE's (and PS2's) existence at a major convention?
Old 2014-06-10, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
SixShooter
Captain

Re: So. E3

I was pretty happy to see the mention and even some light applause.
Old 2014-06-10, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
STOMPIE
Private

Of all the Free-to-Play games announced in the segment, it was PS2 that got the loudest applause and cheer
Old 2014-06-10, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

I still think its sad that its seen as some throwaway project only fit for a quick glimpse.
Old 2014-06-10, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
STOMPIE
Private

I think its sad too however i think that SOE and PSN are so far removed from one another. I think the non-association within Sony of all its departments is obvious after this. Personally i think SOE see this port as a win to get one of their games onto the console platform. And yes, Playstation was the only obvious choice.

I think PSN strives for exclusive and AAA titles to stay ahead of Microsoft. It is unfortunate that PSN cant see the value of one of their own being an exclusive AAA, because thats exactly what i think PS2 is. It has great potential but PSN doesnt see it that way. I think PSN sees PS2 as just another game and that they are doing SOE a favour.

To be fair to PSN, its not really getting anything from the port of PS2. You dont need to buy the game and you dont need PS Plus to play it, so no real obligatory benifit really. What it may get is a few more sales of the PS4 from PC players who will want to play it on the PS4.
Old 2014-06-11, 04:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
ringring
Contributor
General

But it's interesting to how it plays out.

PSN will try to assess how this has helped along the sale of their hardware while SOE will assess the additional. Both are almost bound to increase.

Add to that that EQ:Next and Landmark and H1Z1 will also go to console then surely it has to be win all around.

btw no one has commented that I've seen that Smedley said that H1Z1 would not be handled by Pro7 for Europe, hmmm.
Old 2014-06-12, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
STOMPIE
Private

Totaly agree ringring. It will be interesting either way. And those other titles you mentioned, that too will be good to see how they are received.

I watched the interview with Mathew Higby today on the Playstation.Blog and most of it was par for the course as interviews go but i did get the impresion at one point, when he was asked about a release date, that it is still a while away from release.

I was hoping for an end of July release based on all the advertising and marketing for it recently. But after Mr Higby said unconvincingly that he was confident of a 2014 release, my hopes were dashed, to say the least. I now have to adjust my enthusiasm for a possible September/October release now...

It sounds like the reason for delay according to Mr Higby, is the integration of the all the UI screens in game. I can understand where he is coming from. I have been watching Wrel and other on stream on Twitch over the last week and there are many in game screens and menus that can be activated. A significant challenge for the PS4 controller that only has 15 possible physical buttons. He did say that most of the gameplay part of the game had been successfully ported over. So thats good news.

C'mon Mr Higby and Co...lets get this game polished and perfected for the PS4, we are all waiting with bated breath
Old 2014-06-12, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

Here's some Media from the PS4 stuff:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/849...yed-at-e3-2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plw4Owy77Qo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfR9ONunWw

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2014-06-12, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
AuntLou
Staff Sergeant

Re: So. E3 PS2 on PS4

The question is can I use a mouse and keyboard on a PS4?

http://www.thefortydeuce.com
Old 2014-06-12, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Texanu
Private

PC all the way.

I hope you guys are going to use the existing servers, i mean, the PC player can play in the same server as the PS player.

If not, the game will fail in long term.
Old 2014-06-12, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
STOMPIE
Private

Originally Posted by Texanu View Post
PC all the way.

I hope you guys are going to use the existing servers, i mean, the PC player can play in the same server as the PS player.

Your negative comments and pessimism arent welcom here. I dont buy into the bullshit argument of PC vs Console. Each has their place and now more than ever the two player bases need to pull together to support and positively represent this game and show the gaming community that this petty US v THEM is irrelevant.

If you cannot bare to bring yourself to say something positive or constructive, please use another forum...not this one!
Old 2014-06-12, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
STOMPIE
Private

On a more positive note. Thanks Hamma for sharing. Was a good read. Here's another one.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ism-Takes-Time
Old 2014-06-12, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
STOMPIE
Private

Another opportunity lost Mr Higby....Planeyside 2 's official time slot ar E3 2014 was in interview with Matt Higby. The summery of the 20 min interview is no BETA release date, no official release date.
It was a good interview for people wanting to know more about the game but for us who already know about it and just want to play it, there was no new news.

Matt did say during the interview that because there was no other competitor in this game type they were in no rush to release it on PS4....but it is scheduled for "2014".

In light of the constant delays with content on PC, im really hoping they break that delay trend and do indeed release in 2014.
I cant wait to play this fantastic game, I hope the time they are taking is worth it in the end
Old 2014-06-12, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Texanu View Post
PC all the way.

SOE has already said they are not merging PC and PS4 players on the same server, but they do have the capability to. The main reason they are not merging has to do with game updates and the difference between the PC and PS4 platform, one update might be ready before the other and they don't want to slow down the progress on one platform for the other I would expect. Makes me think someday we will see consoles and PC on the same servers but remember PS4 will be obsolete technology compared to PC's progression as a whole in probably 4 years.

I would say they fact that they said they could do it is very important for developing future titles. You would rather spend money developing across all platforms than having multiple teams on each platform.

Last edited by VaderShake; 2014-06-12 at 03:41 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion