Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Moms Like You Choose PSU
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2012-04-28, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Window shopping build, will order once PS2 Beta is released

1. What is your budget and does that include shipping/taxes?
~$1,000 for just the rig. I have a mouse/keyboard/monitor that will work fine (Just bought an Asus 23" LED LCD for $170).

2. Where do you live?
Arizona/California, will likely be buying everything off of Newegg or Amazon.

3. What do you need this computer to do (like gaming, Photoshop, and so on)?
Planetside 2 only, maybe one or two other games but that's it. Movies, music, web browsing, etc will all be done on my MacBook.

4. What parts will you need for the computer? Please list what parts specifically.
-CPU / heatsink
-Motherboard
-RAM
-Graphics card(s?) (HDMI-out would be nice to hook it up to my 46" TV. I have an LG LED LCD w/ 120 refresh. IIRC it DOES have DVI in as well, but I could be wrong I'm not home right now.)
-Hard drive (talk to me about SSD vs traditional?)
-Power Supply (prefer modular for case organization)
-Sound card (I have a set of Turtle Beach headphones, but would like to be able to hook this up to my 46" TV and Bose system to play Planetside if possible.)
-CD/DVD drive (Have a PS3, not interested in burning Blu-Rays but if future games will require a blu-ray drive then I'll consider it. If Planetside 2 is simply going to be on DVDs or download then I'm not really worried about a CD/DVD drive at all, as you can boot windows from a USB drive anyway.)
-Fans
-Case

5. Are you reusing any parts for this computer? If so please say what parts.
No

6. What kind of monitor/resolution do you have or want to get to use for the computer?
46" LG LED LCD w/ 120hz refresh rate, 1080p
23" Asus LED LCD, model VH238H

7. Do you have a legit OS? If so what OS and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
Windows 7 Ultimate from a friend. 64 bit I believe. Have it on a thumb drive, haven't yet installed it on anything (trying to partition my MacBook, MacBook's boot camp doesn't like me. Repair disk permissions error. Any help would be great)

8. What are you looking for the motherboard to have feature wise? Like SLI, Crossfire, Firewire, USB 3.0, Sata 6.0 Gb/s, and so on.
I'm about 6-8 years behind on PC tech. No idea what Crossfire/Sata 6.0 gb/s, or USB 3.0 do. I know what USB / SATA are, but not their latest iterations or whatever. Just want a solid mobo that isn't going to be obselete in 2 years.

9. Any plans to overclock the CPU or GPU?
Not unless it's easy, safe, and necessary.

10. What time kind of time frame are you planning on ordering these parts?
Before PS2 is released, preferably the same day I get a Beta invite.

Additional info:
I'm interested in Micro PCs for minimizing the footprint of this build, but I doubt I could get decent enough performance out of one. I do NOT want a massive server case or anything extremely bulky. A build as compact as possible is preferable, while still meeting my performance requirements. That is to say, I want the smallest case I can cram everything into but the case will likely be the last item to worry about buying. I want this build to run COLD and QUIET, so no 50 noisy fans. I've had good luck with CoolerMaster cases in the past, but don't really have any idea what's out there now. I couldn't care less about how the case looks as long as it meets my size and performance requirements. Also, I expect this thread will be constantly updated/revised as new products are released in the following months before the game is actually released. So upcoming products are fine to recommend / post about here as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by PeteHMB; 2012-04-28 at 10:03 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum