Friendly Fire ruins this game. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got pink?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-01, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Crator
Major General

Re: Friendly Fire ruins this game.

I haven't had too many FF issues. When driving, stay away from pockets of ground troops or drive slow around them. Don't walk in front of your empire mates when they are setup to shoot. Hold your fire if an empire mate walks in front of you and reposition yourself if need be. Oh, and always be aware of your surroundings and what is going on.

Last edited by Crator; 2012-12-01 at 09:36 PM.
Old 2012-12-01, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Yeah, my patience for FF is definitely coming to an end. If it's supposed to force people to have some awareness of what's going on, well, it's failing miserably. There's just too much to keep track of and most people simply cannot be bothered.

It is not helped at all by the designs of the bases, where everyone is confined to tight spawn rooms that can only fit one person going through the door. Nevermind all the other situations where you spot someone running over open ground, move to shoot them, and have somebody run right into your line of fire as they try to get the kill themselves. It makes the Engineer turrets almost completely worthless too because every idiot in the game seems to think the best place to stand is right in front of them.

And as far as stopping someone from tossing grenades randomly? Yeah it doesn't do that either. Moreover, I find the grenades *never* go where I'm aiming to throw them either because they hit something invisible or bug out and fall inside some piece of terrain or some such.

In the air it is an absolute nightmare, especially near spawns since those are also the repair/rearm locations. It's absolutely infuriating to spawn an aircraft, get rammed by a friendly such that it crashes into a tower before the aircraft is even under your control, and then have to sit there and wait for the timer to reset. To say nothing of when everyone chooses to engage the same target when the aircraft is at least under your control.

In a game where hundreds of people are confined to tight spaces always running around, with frame rates that can drop suddenly as a bunch of players show up, it simply is not a practical feature.
Old 2012-12-01, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

well that is a good point - its bloody impossible to predict what will happen when you throw a grenade.
Old 2012-12-01, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Rodel
Sergeant

Why don't you just play smarter? I've gotten though the whole Beta with out ever being weapons locked.

What's the point of FF? Well your the point.
Old 2012-12-02, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I've been weapon-locked twice since launch. Once for being a complete prick and magburning all the way up the approach to the Crown (sorry Genudine!) and once for being utterly unable to resist the best FF grenade toss in my lifetime. I completely deserved both of them. I've never even been close otherwise. What the fuck are you guys doing?
Old 2012-12-02, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
I've been weapon-locked twice since launch. Once for being a complete prick and magburning all the way up the approach to the Crown (sorry Genudine!) and once for being utterly unable to resist the best FF grenade toss in my lifetime. I completely deserved both of them. I've never even been close otherwise. What the fuck are you guys doing?
Can't speak for the others, but I've never been weapon locked. That is not the source of my irritation with FF.
Old 2012-12-02, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I am 100% agreed that the instrumentation surrounding grief needs to be better, including an actual timer and reasonable granularity on levels. Thread title doesn't really imply that's the thrust of OP's argument, however.
Old 2012-12-02, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
camycamera
Major

FF stops and solves a SHIT TONNE of problems, such as spamming etc, but yes, there should be a timer for the weapons lock, but again, you've just gotta be more aware. but i do agree that there should be character model collisions, but i believe that SOE didn't put in character model collisions because it will fuck up the physics, for example when you spawn in spawn tubes, and lots of other guys spawn in the same tube as you, there might be some problems...

Last edited by camycamera; 2012-12-02 at 03:51 AM. Reason: i read the entire thread this time
Old 2012-12-02, 05:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
The Messenger
Corporal

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
FF stops and solves a SHIT TONNE of problems, such as spamming etc, but yes, there should be a timer for the weapons lock, but again, you've just gotta be more aware. but i do agree that there should be character model collisions, but i believe that SOE didn't put in character model collisions because it will fuck up the physics, for example when you spawn in spawn tubes, and lots of other guys spawn in the same tube as you, there might be some problems...
Not to mention imagine how hard base capping would be with all the zergs standing in doorways to shoot, they'd block everyone trying to move through the doors.
Old 2012-12-02, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
ringring
Contributor
General

Friendly fire must stay. the examples you give a mostly about collisions with vehicles .... and I agree as most people would I think, that this needs adjustment.
Old 2012-12-02, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Figment
Lieutenant General

I've only been weaponslocked in PS twice in my entire gaming history: for deliberately TKing hackers over and over as they spawned trying to prevent them from teleporting out of the tubes into the gens of other empires.

That said, I TK'ed far, FAR FAR more friendlies in PS2 by accident than in PS1 and that has everything to do with collissionmodels of vehicles, poor situational awareness due to lack of proper third person (too zoomed in, too low angle) and often are forced by the auto-drive when players don't look where they're going (and the game, unlike in PS1, blames the player spawning a vehicle - in PS1 you simply died as the vpad opened and it counted as a suicide). Maybe they should place signs that say "don't cross here".

People that get grieflocked don't know how to aim and are too busy with themselves rather than take the allies around them into account.
Old 2012-12-02, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Miffy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
They tried collision in late stage beta - it really didnt work.

In real life 2 friendly people can can easily pass each other in the space needed for one person. And we dont even have to think about doing it - its natural.

But in game its like a log jam.
That's why you have enemy collision and not friendly...
Old 2012-12-02, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
IndiQa
Private

Thumbs up Re: Friendly Fire ruins this game.

Originally Posted by Chaoskoz View Post
FF makes the game. It requires you to think.
God help the MORONS in the game if they were required to think!

Think how quiet the battlefield would be if they weren't in the game.

It would be nice to see if you are crouched, launching rounds downrange at an enemy and some dip runs through your fire stream and dies. HE loses a cert
and you have no action against you. Other than you get to laugh at him.

Might make them think at least once per round?

IndiQa
Old 2012-12-02, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

We definitely need a better away at seeing how much ff we have accrued and a timer to show how long before your ff levels go down. Ff is a big part of this game and should be shown some love by the devs.
Old 2012-12-02, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Hamma
PSU Admin

Friendly fire does not ruin this game.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion