Gameplay: AI soldiers for basedefense/guarding - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: will cause early death
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 1.50 average. Display Modes
Old 2011-08-26, 11:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info
Re: AI soldiers for basedefense/guarding

this is a terrible idea.
Old 2011-08-26, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
this is a terrible idea.
This. I'm starting to think 90% of the people on these forums have never played the game, or have only played it within like the past year and have no idea how the game worked in the past.
Old 2011-08-27, 12:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
akiadan
Private

I really prefer the player only approach and please keep turrents to outdoor only unless bases become 10X bigger then they were in the last one and have a maximum of the amount that are allowed in a base and really restrict where they can be placed. But I dont think they should be imho allowed inside. As a cloaker I have worked in the past that a base that is undefended is a target and an opportunity to relieve the frontlines from a few enemies therefore helping my empire or opening a new front. If a base is undefended by people then thats the empires problem I shouldnt have to walk into an empty base only to be lit up by 20 motion tracking turrets unless I have sensor shield on 24/7. If that were so then whatever I did to the base would happen slower therfore giving the enemy more time then they already have to respond. Keep the damn defenses outside!
Old 2011-08-27, 01:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

@MasterChief: What about not liking bots means you've, at best, played a year of PS1? How did it work in the past that makes a negative opinion of bots any different?

@akiadan: The fix to indoor turret spam would be to do it like tribes with specific spots inside bases where you could place turrets. For infils, you'd need the meta knowledge of base layouts and commander preferences. Hopefully, tho, infils won't be so screwd like they are in PS1. Stumble over a rogue polygon, take 1 damage, and every spit in range hoses you down.
Old 2011-08-27, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
@MasterChief: What about not liking bots means you've, at best, played a year of PS1? How did it work in the past that makes a negative opinion of bots any different?

@akiadan: The fix to indoor turret spam would be to do it like tribes with specific spots inside bases where you could place turrets. For infils, you'd need the meta knowledge of base layouts and commander preferences. Hopefully, tho, infils won't be so screwd like they are in PS1. Stumble over a rogue polygon, take 1 damage, and every spit in range hoses you down.
I'm not sure what you're asking? I think spitfire turrets and wall turrets are completely fine. I dislike the new CE (TRAPs, cerberus turrets, etc) because when they decided to implement it the game's pace was already slowing to a crawl and this did nothing except add to the problem.

I don't mind deployables, as long as the amount of deployables allowed is similar to the amount that can be deployed in PS1.

As for actual AI bots that are soldiers running around, I just don't see why SOE should waste time making them. In order for them to actually be fun to fight, they'd have to spend money developing really good AI. If they spent money developing good AI, they wouldn't be spending money on other things that make the PvP experience. If they didn't spend money on good AI they would just look stupid walking around getting farmed not contributing to anything.

Also, one of SOE's main advertising gimmicks is that this game is 100% no strings attached PvP. Adding bots makes them liars no?

In a game with thousands of players, and entire OUTFITS that are going to be dedicated to fast response resecure type gameplay, we don't need bots to guard an empty base. Deployables and base defenses such as wall turrets work good enough. As soon as someone hacks a base there's going to instantly be a fast attack outfit working to get it resecured anyways.
Old 2011-08-27, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
This. I'm starting to think 90% of the people on these forums have never played the game, or have only played it within like the past year and have no idea how the game worked in the past.
I think they're just more open minded to change.

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
Also, one of SOE's main advertising gimmicks is that this game is 100% no strings attached PvP. Adding bots makes them liars no?
Wouldn't make it the first time. I mean they posted a picture of TR using NC weapons right after they had previously said no weapon sharing. I doubt they care if they make changes to what they previously said really.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2011-08-27 at 04:34 PM.
Old 2011-08-27, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I think they're just more open minded to change.

Wouldn't make it the first time. I mean they posted a picture of TR using NC weapons right after they had previously said no weapon sharing. I doubt they care if they make changes to what they previously said really.
I think you're confusing being open minded to change with being against changing things that have no need to be changed.

You do not need to change things "just to change them" even if their current implementation works perfectly fine.

What I'm upset about is all the downright ridiculous ideas that people want to see in PS2 without taking into account the scale of the game.

I'm open minded to change in the areas of PlanetSide that actually need it.

*Edit*: Also I'm not necessarily saying that I think you're one of the people advocating ridiculous changes. I agree with a lot of the stuff you post. I'm just saying there's a lot of nonsense ideas being thrown around here.

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2011-08-28 at 09:02 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-08-30, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

No offense to the OP, but this is a terrible idea.
Old 2011-08-30, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
bjorntju1
Captain

Also don't really like it. The only part i want AI soldiers in is in the VR firing range (if that is actually in, did they talked about that? ) And even then they only move from side to side or something else, instead of how it now is in PS1.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault