Medics have healguns? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the: Why do "Home of the" quotes always get accepted?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-18, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Klockan
First Sergeant

Re: Medics have healguns?

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
SWTOR Commando class did the same thing. You shot enemies they go Aaah you shoot friendlies they go Oooh.
Some hillbilly version of acupuncture?
Old 2012-07-19, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Emperor
Corporal

All this talk of snipers with heal bullets makes it sound like everyone wants the Crusader's Crossbow.

Originally Posted by etheral View Post
On the subject of healing grenades, I really hope that they dont differentiate between friend or foe, so they are a real expert's tool
Sorry, but this is a terrible idea. It wouldn't become an "expert's tool"; people would spam the hell out of it to heal their teammates without heed of the enemy, and hope that their soldiers out-shoot the enemy soldiers while the healing bubble or particle cloud or whatever it is is up. So you'd have friendlies and enemies standing within this thing's AoE, point blank, blasting at each other in the hopes that they manage to kill the other once the grenade's effects wore off.

Eventually people would come to realize how dumb this is and stop using the grenade altogether except in situations where it's of little use (like outside the area of engagement, the zone where a healing grenade could really be put to effect) and the item would be seen as 'useless' and pushed to the wayside.

Just an absolutely terrible idea for gameplay.
Old 2012-07-19, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
All this talk of snipers with heal bullets makes it sound like everyone wants the Crusader's Crossbow.

Sorry, but this is a terrible idea. It wouldn't become an "expert's tool"; people would spam the hell out of it to heal their teammates without heed of the enemy, and hope that their soldiers out-shoot the enemy soldiers while the healing bubble or particle cloud or whatever it is is up. So you'd have friendlies and enemies standing within this thing's AoE, point blank, blasting at each other in the hopes that they manage to kill the other once the grenade's effects wore off.

Eventually people would come to realize how dumb this is and stop using the grenade altogether except in situations where it's of little use (like outside the area of engagement, the zone where a healing grenade could really be put to effect) and the item would be seen as 'useless' and pushed to the wayside.

Just an absolutely terrible idea for gameplay.
Trust me, if they get some grief from healing the enemy and if grief is actually consequential like Higby hints it will be, they will NOT spam it.

Friendly fire is a good for both skill and balance: know when to shoot, know where to shoot, know what to shoot with. The rest is just about tactics when the enemy attacks and behaves in ways that prevent you to make optimal use of your AoE heal grenade.
Old 2012-07-19, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Emperor View Post
I don't know about the others, but I was joking about the heal sniper.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
Lets not confuse people.

Throwing grenades will not deduct resources from your resource pool. Grenades are purchased from the in-game store for resources. Same applies for heal grenades, I would imagine.
po-tay-to / po-tah-to

Yes, you buy grenades up front with in game resources (can't buy em with cash)... throwing them uses up the nade, requiring repurchase...

hence, every thrown heal/revive nade will cost you in game creds.

I see how maybe someone might get confused but it's just semantics
Old 2012-07-19, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

I think the distinction is kind of important. by saying every grenade thrown will cost you resources, it implies that you can throw an infinite amount of grenades, as long as you can pay for it.

I might be nitpicking, but I'm a stickler for accuracy. ^^
Old 2012-07-19, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Symmenix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Heavygain View Post
They have said the medic will have an aoe heal as well.
THIS THIS, AND THIS.

Quit yo whinin' foo's.
Old 2012-07-19, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
I think the distinction is kind of important. by saying every grenade thrown will cost you resources, it implies that you can throw an infinite amount of grenades, as long as you can pay for it.

I might be nitpicking, but I'm a stickler for accuracy. ^^
I think that's a correct statement.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
This seems very similar to TF2, and is bad news IMO, as that method of medic isn't much fun to play.
I actually enjoy it. I just prefer the Pyro's "Damage Beams."

Anywho, from what I understand there are a few things to keep in mind:
1. You don't have to use it, they also have (at least access to) passive AOE healing and can be brought along for the rez at the very least.
2. You have a good gun.
3. You have more utility slots in this game than TF2.
4. You don't have overheal (or ubercharge), so even if you focus on keeping your troops in top shape with the medical firearms you don't need to use it constantly like you might in TF2.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
damijin
Private

Originally Posted by ratfusion View Post
It appeared in Higbys video that there was a medic chasing around the character we were watching and some stream of 'healjuice' healing him. This seems very similar to TF2, and is bad news IMO, as that method of medic isn't much fun to play.

I'd rather see a fixed radius healing terminal like STO or BF3 medpacks.
Havent played BF3. I know in BF2 I liked running around with my shock paddles and getting folks up.

Anyway, I play a healer in virtually every game that I play with friends. I love fulfilling that role and making sure my group of pals is more effective than the enemy. I love TF2's medic and I thought it was the greatest thing to happen to FPS healing since ever. Its a great class to play with friends, though I agree its a bit boring to play with strangers.

Anyway, what makes the TF2 Medic so great is that you're able to effectively figure out when to use those ubers, and you have your bonesaw to dispatch spies that might try and come up behind you or your target. Its a blast if you're playing it correctly.

I have no idea what PS2's medic will be like, but I already know it'll be my primary class when my buddies are online -- and if its even remotely like the TF2 medic, I'll be thrilled.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
LightningDriver
Corporal

Having a bandage bazooka sounds like fun.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by LightningDriver View Post
It's all about the Loverator with Health Bombs.
Old 2012-07-19, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Emperor
Corporal

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Trust me, if they get some grief from healing the enemy and if grief is actually consequential like Higby hints it will be, they will NOT spam it.

Friendly fire is a good for both skill and balance: know when to shoot, know where to shoot, know what to shoot with. The rest is just about tactics when the enemy attacks and behaves in ways that prevent you to make optimal use of your AoE heal grenade.
Well, "consequential grief" would be that the enemy is benefiting from the heal.

Let's say that you're at a point, or a small open 'yard' area, or just picture any area where egress isn't an option, you have to push forward or hold your ground. Heal grenades that affect enemies are risk/reward; reward is that you heal your teammates, risk is that the enemy gets caught in it too. Whenever it's going to really matter, like capping a point, you'd rarely want to hold something like that; you're going to use it. The reward completely outweighs the risk.

FF doesn't factor in here. Assuming that you don't have everyone running around within the 'heal bubble' or whatever it is like chickens with their heads cut off, they're probably going to be positioned in a way that they're not tripping over each other into everyone's line of fire. Assuming the enemies aren't dumb as bricks they're probably going to be similarly aligned. NOW what you're looking at is roughly line infantry firing volleys at each other, just waiting for the effect to run out and hope that your side gets the most bullets in first.

So I'm willing to bet that if this is the way the heal grenade'd work, people are going to spam the hell out of it. There'd be no reason not to, because it's either giving you a temporary boost (if you can still be damaged/killed while the grenade is in effect), or a completely free reset (if you're immune during AoE heal). This isn't going to be something used to pinpoint effect like having the med toss it at just the right spot so that your teammates are standing within the last two pixels of the area; this is gonna be chucked into rooms.
Old 2012-07-19, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by LightningDriver View Post
I made a thread about switching your main gun to "healing only" ammo in the idea forum. I think it'd balance pretty well, and maybe a healing bazooka would be an option :-P

Honestly, I think being able to shoot long range "nanite paintballs" makes more sense than heal grenades, but maybe that's just me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion