How to fix the TR mini-chaingun (and the other HA weapons) - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Part of your everyday life
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-10, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

How to fix the TR mini-chaingun (and the other HA weapons)

So apparently our iconic weapon can't be made underslung because then you couldn't shoot it from cover. Additionally, the low DPS and spoolup time make it a difficult weapon to use. All of which results in a dorky-looking weapon that hardly anyone uses, even indoors.

The solution? Introduce a cert to *make* it underslung. The description should tell you quite plainly that this weapon is for suppressive fire, and cannot be used from behind cover -- full stop. Concurrent with this, increase the spoolup time *and* the DPS by anywhere from 25% to 50%. Whenever you pop out into the open and blaze away like the Terminator, you'll hafta coordinate your appearance with the spoolup time.... and possibly have a friendly medic behind you.

You want to lay down more dakka? and look awesome into the bargain? Groovy. But there's a price to pay. If you don't feel like paying it, un-equip your MCG Underslung Turbocharger Of Destruction or whatever they wind up calling it. The model already exists, and presumably so does the animation. Use it.

Now, the Jackhammer... Being pretty much a one-empire guy, I have no experience with the new Jackhammer. But I've been shot by it plenty of times, and it's almost disappointing. It should be the deadliest weapon in the game at punch-you-in-the-face ranges. It isn't. Also, as I heard a bemused NC /yell last night, it looks almost identical to the old Sweeper.

How do we fix all this without imposing a new workload on an already hard-pressed dev team..? Introduce the ability to cert an additional barrel in over-under configuration, kind of like the old TR Cycler. If you want to, you can torch them off at the same time -- BA-BOOM!11!11! -- and do double damage. But your COF is going to go to hell and gone when you do, so you better be at fistfighting range. That'll give you the extra punch without requiring any additional animation, and without altering the model too much.

The Lasher ought to get something similar to amp it up -- a supercharger that slows the ROF but gives you ample splash damage, perhaps. That would bring back the Disco Ball Of Death that we all know and hate. Fair's fair.

Comments? Additional ideas? These are our iconic weapons, and they're lost in a galaxy of more effective smallarms for almost every role, to the point that we hardly ever see them anymore. I think the solution is to have optional extras to jazz them up. Sony can't object to yet more stuff for people to spend Smedbucks on, can they...?

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-06-10 at 02:04 PM.
Old 2013-06-10, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Re: How to fix the TR mini-chaingun (and the other HA weapons)

I don't know why everyone complains about the minigun. I absolutely decimate with it at close to medium range, especially with the instant spool-up trick.

I've actually had to stop using it because I'm too close to the auraxium medal and I don't want to have to stop using it 5ever.
Old 2013-06-10, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

no

Its fine that some people prefer the underslung MCG but it doesnt look dorky now - I think its one of the best looking guns in the game.

The improvement it needs is simple - less or even no spin up penalty.

Youre Jackhammer suggestion is also bad. The Jackhammer cant be improved these ways because pump shot gun is already a great choice for heavy assault. making it even better at one shot kills at an even close range really just make all the issues with shot guns worse.
Old 2013-06-10, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
JackRyan
Private

Why not simply drop some Certs to have the barrel always spooled up? That's an upgrade I'll be happy to have.
Old 2013-06-10, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
moosepoop
Captain

they have 5 or 6 unreleased mcg variants. they prolly gonna make some of the new ones underslung.
Old 2013-06-10, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
AThreatToYou
Major

I want underslung MCG. Even if it is no better, stats-wise, than the current MCG. How often do you shoot those things over railing, anyway? If your answer is "quite often", then damnit, I still want to see underslung MCGs.

The JH.. I don't know what to do with it other than completely re-design and re-purpose the gun. We have enough shotguns, NC doesn't need even more shotguns where you can choose other shotguns that might be superior, even if in only one regard.
Old 2013-06-10, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
moosepoop
Captain

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
I want underslung MCG. Even if it is no better, stats-wise, than the current MCG. How often do you shoot those things over railing, anyway? If your answer is "quite often", then damnit, I still want to see underslung MCGs.

The JH.. I don't know what to do with it other than completely re-design and re-purpose the gun. We have enough shotguns, NC doesn't need even more shotguns where you can choose other shotguns that might be superior, even if in only one regard.
make jackhammer and lasher underslung too. then its "balanced".
Old 2013-06-10, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
Why not simply drop some Certs to have the barrel always spooled up? That's an upgrade I'll be happy to have.
Because you can already start firing immediately without the spool up.

Left click, then right click, gun starts firing immediately.
Old 2013-06-10, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zadexin
Corporal

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
make jackhammer and lasher underslung too. then its "balanced".
The same doesn't mean balanced. They are all totally different guns.

To me the way to fix the MCG is to give you a button to keep it spooled up instead of aiming. Because really, how do you aim a chaingun? You just walk the tracers onto the target.
Personally, I want an underslung MCG but its just for visuals. Lets face it, any kind of pistol grip would rip your arm off. If you can't fire it from cover, well then give it a faster rate of fire and a bigger mag to compensate. That is all the TR do for every defect.

The Jackhammer should be THE NC pump shotgun. I like the idea of a double barrelled shotgun. OR give the Jackhammer 2x the pellets with a higher bloom. At close range it would devastate.

The lasher needs a charge up function like the lancer. You should be able to charge it up and release a bigger splash damage shot like a mini grenade. That would make it far more useful and keep it with its low velocity / highly visible shot.
Old 2013-06-10, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
hashish
Sergeant

Basically SOE fucked up with the iconic ES HA weapons. I mean its soo rare to actually see people use them apart from the TR minigun..

Jackhammer is suppose to decimate anything within range and the lasher is actually suppose to lash enemies as it goes by which it doesnt AT ALL !! They shouldnt even call it the lasher !!! Also you end up killing half of your team with the lasher if not careful and its only ever useful in its current state with 5 or more people using it for supression.. one on one fights you might aswel /suicide

Old 2013-06-10, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Jackhammer needs to go, as repeated many times the last thing the NC need is another shotgun. A little bit of range on an ES NC weapon please, I don't want to be the shotgun empire....everyone has shotguns. Can't we be the railgun empire? The Rocket Empire?

Maybe the jackhammer should fire mini grenades like the one in the Expendables....obviously balance that sucker but hey thats interesting.
Old 2013-06-10, 06:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

They should just make the MCG spool up immediately by default - half the people using an exploit to make it balanced it not the way to go.
Old 2013-06-10, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by JackRyan View Post
Actually that could work. You could have a motor attachment that would help with this. You could have one that gets rid of spin-up, and another that would add more spin-up but increase the ROF to biblical proportions.
Old 2013-06-10, 09:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dougnifico View Post
Actually that could work. You could have a motor attachment that would help with this. You could have one that gets rid of spin-up, and another that would add more spin-up but increase the ROF to biblical proportions.
For the THIRD TIME, this is COMPLETELY unneeded, as you can bypass the spool-up time anyway!!
Old 2013-06-10, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
camycamera
Major

oh i thought this was about the TR MAX chainguns which suck compared to NC/VS (the accuracy sucks)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion