PS going FTP - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Giving credit where credit is due
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2014-02-27, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
bodypopper
Corporal

Re: PS going FTP

sorry to say bud but a corporation like SOE is there to make money..

stuff doesnt come for free.even the ps1 servers with their tiny load will cost SOE money.

no money=no servers,very simple capitalism.

so the more people+cash Ps1 generates the longer it can live,and thats all i want.

im not being nasty with you,honestly;youre a fellow ps1 player so you must see where im coming from,but this is the way a company has to think.
Old 2014-02-27, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by bodypopper View Post
sorry to say bud but a corporation like SOE is there to make money..

stuff doesnt come for free.even the ps1 servers with their tiny load will cost SOE money.

no money=no servers,very simple capitalism.

so the more people+cash Ps1 generates the longer it can live,and thats all i want.

im not being nasty with you,honestly;youre a fellow ps1 player so you must see where im coming from,but this is the way a company has to think.
The money SOE would need to spend to set up a micro-transactions system, or to drum up interest in advertising, would almost certainly surpass any minuscule returns they would expect to gain from it...

At the other hand, it costs them next to nothing to flip a switch and make PS1 free without a sub, and the costs to run the servers with people on them (as opposed to running them empty as they are now) are minuscule... Which is why we are going to get:

"PlanetSide 1 as free to play game for everyone when the new program rolls out, on or about April 2, 2014 (or sooner!). Please note that PS1 has no Marketplace and will not see further game development."

Last edited by Mightymouser; 2014-02-27 at 07:09 PM.
Old 2014-02-27, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
bodypopper
Corporal

youve missed the point there son..

servers cost money to run,if youve worked in the IT field you know they cost a fair bit of cash to run.

mouser:

"At the other hand, it costs them next to nothing to flip a switch and make PS1 free without a sub, and the costs to run the servers with people on them (as opposed to running them empty as they are now) are minuscule... "

please have a look at basic server costs,again im not being a twat seriously look at what it costs to run a server,if in doubt .. ask hamma!

plus the more money ps1 can pull in the more chance there is of it continuing.

why do i feel like im arguing with a load of sociology students?
Old 2014-03-07, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by bodypopper View Post
youve missed the point there son..

servers cost money to run,if youve worked in the IT field you know they cost a fair bit of cash to run.

mouser:

"At the other hand, it costs them next to nothing to flip a switch and make PS1 free without a sub, and the costs to run the servers with people on them (as opposed to running them empty as they are now) are minuscule... "

please have a look at basic server costs,again im not being a twat seriously look at what it costs to run a server,if in doubt .. ask hamma!

plus the more money ps1 can pull in the more chance there is of it continuing.

why do i feel like im arguing with a load of sociology students?

Did you just call me son? Listen, if you're not over the age of 70, and actively puffing on a pipe, I'd appreciate it if you dropped that condescending tone, thanks.

I've worked extensively in the "IT field", I have a master's in Computer Science. SOE runs very large server farms to support its games, it does not rent server space from GoDaddy, and the server space needed to support 12 continents and routing to the 200 or so people they expect to be pinging those servers is negligible in the scheme of SOE's data server budget.
Old 2014-03-08, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
SgtMAD
Captain

Originally Posted by Mightymouser View Post
Did you just call me son? Listen, if you're not over the age of 70, and actively puffing on a pipe, I'd appreciate it if you dropped that condescending tone, thanks.

I've worked extensively in the "IT field", I have a master's in Computer Science. SOE runs very large server farms to support its games, it does not rent server space from GoDaddy, and the server space needed to support 12 continents and routing to the 200 or so people they expect to be pinging those servers is negligible in the scheme of SOE's data server budget.
well, he is a smug little douche with all the knowledge of a 29+ year old LOL

what do you expect from a child?

much respect to you mister mouser, I still remember LOL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion