PSU: Perfected water landings.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-05-04, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
HunterKiller
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Cyanide
Definately get a new video card. That will make a huge difference for you. The Geforce 4 MX is a fairly low end card. I would say that moving up to a Radeon 9600 XT or higher would give you the best performance boost for the money. Obviously you should get the best card that you can afford. As Sentrosi said, the Radeon 9xxx series should be dropping in price soon when ATI releases its new cards.

Everything else you have is fine for todays games. You could possible stand to get a little more ram, but that's not really neccessary for you. Upgrading your processor won't make a lot of difference right now. 2.0ghz will do fine for any game comming out in the next year or so (provided you upgrade your video card). Upgrading from a 2.0 P4 to a 2.8 celeron really won't boost performance that much. I'm pretty sure the celeron doesn't have as much cache as the P4 (i could be wrong), which reduces its performance. Not to mention that as clock speeds get higher, actual aggregate performance gain per mhz is dropping. The difference between a 2.0ghz P4 and a 2.8ghz celeron or P4 is not worth the cost.
yea if you put all the settings for best perfomance.
Old 2004-05-04, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Cyanide
Major

Uh...no. The difference between 2.0ghz and 2.8ghz is negligable. You might not be able to max out all the settings, but you won't be able to do that with 2.8ghz either. The point is that a better video card would make a much bigger difference than 800 extra mhz.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum