BF3 Beta - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You have lost control of this vehicle.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2011-09-27, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: BF3 Beta

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
This game is ATROCIOUS so far.
  • You cant run the game w/o opening the web browser
    Not seeing the problem here, probably just for beta anyhow
  • You cannot set game options when you are dead
    Well, you can do it when you're alive
  • Friends lists are separate (Origin/Battlelog)
    Seems more like an inconvinence
  • I cannot bind ANY of my mouse keys besides left/right click.
    This I understand can be annoying for some people
  • Requiring a web browser to launch the game/join servers is horrible
    implementation.
    Again, it's probably just for beta
I didn't preorder on Origin to get in two days early, so I'm not sure what you mean with the UI. But IMO, the stuff you listed is very bearable. Did they screw up the UI or something?
Old 2011-09-27, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
duomaxwl
Captain

From the little bit I've gotten to play, I really like it. I'm not too much of a fan of the web browser server stuff, but I can see it growing on me. It sure is beautiful. Except the getting stuck in the floor crap.
Old 2011-09-27, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Greedy EA, i HATE Origin, wtb it on Steam!!!!! =(
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2011-09-27, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
ikon
Master Sergeant

i agree tho, if it had been on steam

everything would have been 10000x smoother
Old 2011-09-28, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I didn't preorder on Origin to get in two days early, so I'm not sure what you mean with the UI. But IMO, the stuff you listed is very bearable. Did they screw up the UI or something?
Wait, you are defending the game against bugs that Hamma has experienced by playing it, and you haven't even played it?

The bugs he mentions are major setbacks. True, BFBC2 was just as bad as someone else pointed out, but doesn't that beg the question, "Why don't they learn?"

This roll-out was smooth as far as download and install, but good grief the browser stuff, the lack of mouse-button binds, the falling through the ground, the inability to set options except when you are in the game AND alive almost make the roll-out a joke. Oh, and the knife sequence irritates me because it leaves me hanging for about 3-4 seconds...too much time in my opinion. But then, I like to use the knife and anything that affects that irritates me.

Some of these things are basic to gaming. As Hamma noted, he was binding his mouse buttons in PlanetSide at the beginning! This game is being released WITHOUT THE ABILITY to bind your mouse buttons. At the very least that is unacceptable even for a beta. It is open beta and the game is supposed to be released very soon.

Now, having said all that, the game is fast-paced and fun. The graphics are good and since they haven't released the DX11 stuff yet, they will probably get better. Hamma noted last night when we were playing that the tactics are well done as far as having to orchestrate teamwork. The browser does allow joining as a party, and I love that aspect. No getting separated when trying to play with friends.

Jury is out for me, but as the patches start to flow, we will probably see a better game emerge in a more polished form.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
Old 2011-09-28, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Zulthus
Colonel

I was only replying to the five he listed, which I wouldn't have to play the game to talk about. Beta won't have everything, that's just how it is. If you'd like the full and polished experience, you'd wait for the full game. You can't play the beta expecting it to be perfect. It's there to find bugs and stuff to fix, not really to play and have fun. Many people mix up the purpose of it though.
Old 2011-09-28, 09:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Hamma
PSU Admin

You can't play the beta expecting it to be perfect.
Never said that, but basic UI functions should be done well before beta. ESPECIALLY when they existed in Alpha, were reported and never fixed.

And as soon as companies have started giving pre-order bonuses as getting into beta it's not really a beta anymore, its a free demo of the game that they shroud in the word beta. "Open" beta's are final polished versions of the game that just require a bit more tweaking, they are typically reserved for stress testing - not simple issues like this.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-09-28 at 09:02 AM.
Old 2011-09-28, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
duomaxwl
Captain

The graphics are good and since they haven't released the DX11 stuff yet, they will probably get better.
That depresses me. I've been jumping for joy because I could run it maxed at Ultra on my 560 Ti. Didn't realize it had no DX11. Its really fun, just a pain to find an open server.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk
Old 2011-09-28, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Im loving this game more then BC2 which i have been playing.
I am almost having no issues with launching games (ever once in awhile). I actually like the web page interface. Do you guys remember how bad BF2/2142/and even bad company 2s was? Maybe this is the step in the right direction if they polish it out. I agree it does suck when you have to exit out to join another server.. BUT the game itself launches soo fast. Even on my Cousins Duel core shitbox. It took longer to load BF2 and BC2 for him.

And some bugs with people disappearing and the ingame menu(yes they do suck)

Played soo much yesterday I dont know what to do with myself. im already almost level 30 lol

And this is legit the only Issues I have had with the game. after about 8 hrs of game time so far.
  • Flashlights (They complenetly blind the shit out of you. Even in daylight. on the other hand it gives your position away soo easily
  • Lazerpointer. - Some people both have this and the flashlight on their guns.. Unreal. So now you have a red dot right to your face and...a bright light. Noobs pile on. They need some sort of distraction to have a chance right??

The time to kill in this game is Perfect right now. Not to fast but not to slow(aka BC2). They got something good going here.

I agree with hamma here and say the UI in game is complete garbage. Im hoping for a better one in Release..

I dont want to have to click through 3 screens to get to my gun loadouts..then have to press deploy to play. (where is the auto deploy button DICE?)

Last edited by Tigersmith; 2011-09-28 at 11:57 AM.
Old 2011-09-28, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Hamma
PSU Admin

Anyone having random CTD's during maps?

About 6 of us last night were experiencing them all at the same time.
Played soo much yesterday I dont know what to do with myself. im already almost level 30 lol
:crackpipe:

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-09-28 at 12:10 PM.
Old 2011-09-28, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Found this post on the BF3 Beta Forums. This is the best PRO Battlelog post yet. He brings up Valid Points.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...4925935608609/

1. Its 2011 Hi welcome.

2. It keeps all the connections needed to browse servers on a dedi box cms system. You are not sending requests to every server just the website itself.

3. From removing the extra processes from BF3 Dice have made a NEXT GEN title that starts QUICKER then BC2 and MOH.

4. It is easy to share with friends where you are.

5. BC2 was terrible for browsing servers, it was not fast it did not benifit your play experiance at all. Do not pretend it did.

6. Chrome i run all the time anyway so there really is no problem to running it for BF3.

7. Ingame menu browsing sucks? Yes its why BC2stats.com excists because we dont like the slowness of checking our stats there

8. Despite what anyone says fact is its quicker to close BF3 and open a new server then it is to exit out of BC2 and load a new server.

9. Server admins now have more freedom to advertise there clan and server in the intergrated heaven that is battlelog

10. Whats coming from platoons looks like it will smash CoD Elite into the floor

From my past 15 years of playing online games i have never come across something so brilliant as battlelog for browsing servers. Having the clientside do it is just stupid far to many connections to run threw espically if you want player lists etc. Having it all on a website is just what smart.

It will take some a little while to get used to but Dice choose todo this for a reason,

asking for a optional menu is just idiotic that means there would have to be 2 clients so extra dev time,
i definatly do not want a laggy , shitty , glitchy ingame menu like ive had in my other online fps.

BF3 is showing you what 2011 is like. You will accept it sooner or later.

Like your all accepting the fact Steam is out of the race /waves =p
Old 2011-09-28, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Anyone having random CTD's during maps?

About 6 of us last night were experiencing them all at the same time.

:crackpipe:
Every once and awhile but the game boots soo fast im back in game in about 30 sec
Old 2011-09-28, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Hamma
PSU Admin

Yea it was happening constantly to me, seems like it might have been server related.

I disagree with what most of that guy says, browser implementation for full screen games is dumb - the game starting fast does not account for that change to me. imo anyway, its stupid now and will remain stupid and "It's 2011" isn't an excuse, not everything has to look like social media.

In game browser was shitty in bfbc2 because they elected to make it shitty by not fixing it, that's not an excuse for a web based server browser.

I haven't put up a server yet, but I hope their admin implementation is better this time around - adminning a server at BFBC2's release was HORRIBLE.

Its almost like EA/DICE consider everything outside of the base game an afterthought.

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-09-28 at 12:50 PM.
Old 2011-09-28, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
duomaxwl
Captain

I can't even get the damn game to launch when I choose a server most of the time. Also, for some reason, under Processes it shows up as bf3.exe*32. No idea why it's running in 32-bit, considering I'm on a 64-bit system. Does it show up like that for anybody else, or is it just messed up on my end?
Old 2011-09-28, 01:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'll have to look at that when I get home, not sure.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion