I'm happy to report: Tribes Ascend doesn't look that great - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: got vanu?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Old 2012-01-15, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

I'm happy to report: Tribes Ascend doesn't look that great

I've been watching some beta footage of Tribes: Ascend, and it doesn't look very good. It actually looks to be around the Global Agenda level of entertainment. It's limited to matches (which immediately makes it feel less of a "war" and more of a "sport") and is actually a little bit fast-and-wacky looking with those skiing jetpacks that they use.

The reason I bring this up, is because this game seems like the only possibly-big-ticket-game of 2012 that MIGHT be in the same contender-ring as Planetside 2. Therefore, it's good news that honestly, the game looks kind of "blah." It's not that I wish bad things on them, merely that I am wishing AMAZING things for Planetside 2

Thoughts?

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-15, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Graywolves
General

Re: I'm happy to report: Tribes Ascend doesn't look that great

Auraxis is our Mount Olympus and we are its Gods. There is no contender.
Old 2012-01-15, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
DayOne
Captain

Tribes: Ascend is a brilliant game and hopefully one that will really stand out as a truly decent PC FPS. PS2 is a MUCH MUCH MUCH different game. Although both FPS's Planetside is about the big consistent world that is ever changing and player based, focusing on feeling more like a real war in the future.

Tribes is a completely different kettle of fish. It's a fast paced, arcade style shooter with completely different game play to Planetside.

You cannot compare the two.
Old 2012-01-15, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Having played in the Beta Test for Tribes Ascend I can tell you it will not even hold a candle to PS2. I wouldn't even worry about it.

Maps are way to small. To few deployable's and so on. The speed of the game to me at least feels slower than the previous tribes. Also 32 players... But to each their own.

Edit: Also what the poster above me said. Both completely different games.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-15 at 08:36 AM.
Old 2012-01-15, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Coreldan
Colonel

I played it once, never started it up again. It's not a bad game, but it's so vastly different with PS/PS2 that they dont really even share the playerbase, except the scifi nerds who dont care as long as you got weapons firign lazers.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-15, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Yeah, I'm happy to hear that it won't, like "crash and burn." The economy is so wretched at this point, I want all game companies to have success. But I'm very encouraged to hear that people at PSU don't think it will derail any of Planetside's possible fanbase (as it's already in beta, so it's potentially launching sooner, etc).
Old 2012-01-15, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Tribes Ascend is a great game, but it's a completely different audience. I can give you a beta key if you want to actually play the game instead of using youtube videos to justify your preconcieved biased opinion.

Planeteside 2 is a game that can run along with serious Tribes players and aren't mutually exclusive since both are F2P.
Old 2012-01-15, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
CutterJohn
Colonel

I detect much fanboyism in this thread.
Old 2012-01-15, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Using the phrase "preconceived biased opinion" sounds a little aggressive. I was pretty clear when I primarily used phrases such as "it looks like" and "seems like." I hear a little defense in your tone, and if I've offended you as a Tribes player, that wasn't my intention. In my post, I shared that I was not very impressed with the Tribes footage that I saw, and then, in a subsequent post, I wrote that I hope they have success, only that it DOESn't detract from Planetside 2's success. I'm not hurt at hearing your slight rise of defense, so I'm surely not going to challenge anyone about anything, and I'll let this sub-topic die here, but just reread my posts and you'll see that I'm not doing anything except disclosing my own personal relief that Tribes probably won't step on Planetside 2's toes.
Old 2012-01-15, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

(and btw- it is very generous of you to offer me a beta key Since I'm working on my dissertation at the moment, I should probably decline, but thank you so much for the offer )
Old 2012-01-15, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
Using the phrase "preconceived biased opinion" sounds a little aggressive. I was pretty clear when I primarily used phrases such as "it looks like" and "seems like." I hear a little defense in your tone, and if I've offended you as a Tribes player, that wasn't my intention. In my post, I shared that I was not very impressed with the Tribes footage that I saw, and then, in a subsequent post, I wrote that I hope they have success, only that it DOESn't detract from Planetside 2's success. I'm not hurt at hearing your slight rise of defense, so I'm surely not going to challenge anyone about anything, and I'll let this sub-topic die here, but just reread my posts and you'll see that I'm not doing anything except disclosing my own personal relief that Tribes probably won't step on Planetside 2's toes.
Don't mind that. I think you handled the situation well, as in you didnt imply they are facts and they just "look like" etc, but he is also right that if you have not even played the game, you probably shouldnt even try to report anything about the state of the game.

But more on topic, T:A is much like TF2 for me. Download all day, play once, delete.

Old 2012-01-15, 09:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Haha, I hear you, Coreldan. Yeah, I was just tossing in my opinion about seeing the game footage. And actually, I really enjoyed TF2, though it didn't hold my interest for more than like, 2 weeks. Planetside 2 shall smoke them all o.O
Old 2012-01-15, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Elude
First Sergeant

Tribes Ascend is awesome, it's suppose to be more sporty than war like!

If you we're looking for a contender you found the wrong game to compare Planetside with. Battlefield 3 is a hell of a lot closer to Planetside than Tribes Ascend is, Tribes is leaning more towards the family of arena based shooters like Quake, and UT.

What draws people to this comparison anyway? Tribes as never ever even attempted to be similar to Planetside!
Old 2012-01-15, 09:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by Elude View Post

What draws people to this comparison anyway? Tribes as never ever even attempted to be similar to Planetside!
I guess it's the same reason Planetside is a...

...Halo ripoff

And no, not serious.

Last edited by Coreldan; 2012-01-15 at 09:41 AM.
Old 2012-01-15, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

Bahahahahah

The pause made it perfect.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion