Situational Awareness, particularly in flight. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Submit.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-09-08, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kipper
Captain

Situational Awareness, particularly in flight.

So, now that I have a sustainable non-choppy 15-30fps (will be more when the GPU and RAM arrive!) I've been looking at aircraft.

The Galaxy is a joy to fly when you know how it works, and it feels good. You don't feel like you can throw it around, but you have the freedom to try. I noticed that trying to escape locks/fighters by throwing it under a bridge or round a rocky peak didn't work so well. I just hit the terrain.

Now the Mosquito/ES fighter... This is another craft that flies well, although its weird with a mouse (for me, anyway), it handles pretty well and its nice to be able to really be able to use the full 3 dimensions.

My problem however is when you take the ESF into combat. I can't for the life of me keep track of anything I can't see - and I can't see much since I can only look out the front. The minimap is way too zoomed for an aircraft, and the lack of any sort of radar, target lock (even for guns) or free look means that once an aircraft leaves my sight - bearing in mind just how quick & manoeverable they are - Its as good as gone.

Ground attack is a pain too. Since the aircraft is so manoeverable, and I don't seem to have any reference other than the terrain (which I'm not 100% familiar with yet) - I get lost way too easily.

Again, mini map too zoomed and a lack of an overall continent map (even a small one) in the cockpit showing who owns what and where you are in relation to the continent.

Am I missing something or is it really just down to luck whether you see a target and get time to fire on it?

I love flying, but at the moment I can't transition flying into workable fighting... (I do seem to survive fairly well though unless something one/two hits me which happens occasionally).
Old 2012-09-08, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Re: Situational Awareness, particularly in flight.

I don't really fly ESF at this point but supposedly middle mouse is free look.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-09-08 at 11:24 PM.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Syphus
Staff Sergeant

It is a large pain in the ass. There is a Scout Radar cert, and we will see how it works once it is unlocked.
Old 2012-09-08, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
VS kinda lost. I can try to lead . They dont listen to me most times but I wish the would

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-09-08, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Yenni
Corporal

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
So, now that I have a sustainable non-choppy 15-30fps (will be more when the GPU and RAM arrive!) I've been looking at aircraft.

The Galaxy is a joy to fly when you know how it works, and it feels good. You don't feel like you can throw it around, but you have the freedom to try. I noticed that trying to escape locks/fighters by throwing it under a bridge or round a rocky peak didn't work so well. I just hit the terrain.

Now the Mosquito/ES fighter... This is another craft that flies well, although its weird with a mouse (for me, anyway), it handles pretty well and its nice to be able to really be able to use the full 3 dimensions.

My problem however is when you take the ESF into combat. I can't for the life of me keep track of anything I can't see - and I can't see much since I can only look out the front. The minimap is way too zoomed for an aircraft, and the lack of any sort of radar, target lock (even for guns) or free look means that once an aircraft leaves my sight - bearing in mind just how quick & manoeverable they are - Its as good as gone.

Ground attack is a pain too. Since the aircraft is so manoeverable, and I don't seem to have any reference other than the terrain (which I'm not 100% familiar with yet) - I get lost way too easily.

Again, mini map too zoomed and a lack of an overall continent map (even a small one) in the cockpit showing who owns what and where you are in relation to the continent.

Am I missing something or is it really just down to luck whether you see a target and get time to fire on it?

I love flying, but at the moment I can't transition flying into workable fighting... (I do seem to survive fairly well though unless something one/two hits me which happens occasionally).
Hola, as a veteran flyer in many faux combat games (bf3, ps1, bf2) I have to congratulate you on discovering what makes up half of a GOOD player's skill in aircraft (A/C) in-game.

Situational Awareness (SA) is the most important skill to develop if you want to become a better pilot.

TLDR - Practice makes perfect. with enough time under your belt, you'll begin to accumulate slight insights in how best to keep oriented while in combat.

What I've found gives me the most SA, outside a dedicated screen in the cockpit with radar, is sound. Sound, sound, sound.

With head phones on I can tell, within reason, where the enemy A/C is, his speed, and direction.

This in turn, lets me orient myself then decide what my next maneuver should be.

Example: You're going to pass an enemy A/C Top Gun style "Charging at each other" You both fire your weapons and probably score a few hits but neither destroying the other, excusing any previous damage.

He passes right by you and out of sight...Now what do you do?

The answer is dependant a lot of variables.

Are you in your territory or his?
Do you have any wingmen?
Does he?

Using just the sound of his engines, I can determine if I need to start a left or right handed circle in order to get him in my sights before I'm in his.

Btw, F' free look. Seriously. I like free look, it definitley is nice if makeing a semi long trek over the cont, but you can't free look and maneuver at the same time ...yet.

And until you can...stay mobile.

Wow this was disjointed as hell. Many apologies. I hope you pull something usefull out of this.

Quick tips:

-It sounds like the biggest advantage you could
Old 2012-09-09, 06:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Kipper
Captain

Actually I'd say situational awareness is 90% myself, which is why I'm kinda upset to be lacking it

I've flown flight simulators since the days of the Atari ST (and even one or two on the old 48k!). Your points about speed and direction would make a lot more sense in battlefield etc, with traditional jets.

What we have here though are hyper-sensitive craft that can stop, turn on a dime and be gone in ANY direction and at ANY moment. They aren't following the rules of traditional flight..

For starters, a zoomed out minimap would be of use. A compass that I can see might help (I'm sure there is one but...) and the ability to lock onto a target to get a reticle so I can get a bearing to it and an idea of my distance from it... That would rock my socks off.

Also joystick support and variable throttle. I've only found 3 settings :P
Old 2012-09-09, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Devs, I got this awesome joystick and it doesnt work unless I get some third party software. Im really wanting some native joystick support. Pretty please.
Old 2012-09-09, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Hamma
PSU Admin

It would be hot to free look in external view.. but that won't happen.

Galaxy is quite easily my favorite vehicle in the game.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-09-09, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
CrankyTRex
Staff Sergeant

I kind of miss the days of being able to turn off the cockpit like in early BF. Cockpits are pretty and all, but I'd rather have a bigger FOV than a speedometer.

It would also help to have a rear view to have a better idea where the fire is coming from.
Old 2012-09-09, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
FatesMomma
Private

Situational awareness is severely limited period. I'm not much of a pilot myself (I knew I wasn't cut out for it after I kept pressing E to raise altitude and ended up as a smear on the ground..constantly), but as a foot soldier the problem is very present too.

It's really aggravating to be at a base and not be able to see the conditions of critical defense/offense objectives because you're not close enough (like Zurvan - Not being able to see at least one of the Capture Point shield generators from any one corner of the base until you're about 200m away). Then I can see all the enemy turret indicators at the Crown from the Zurvan West Camp. The distances on what lights up on the HUD and when is pretty frustrating.
Old 2012-09-09, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Galaxy is quite easily my favorite vehicle in the game.
Loads of fun to fly, not much you can do if you start picking up AA or fighters though, can't shake em even doing what oughta be some extreme moves for a thing of its size!
Old 2012-09-09, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rabaan
Corporal

what i like doing with ground attacking, is i set a personal way point on the target area, so i can always orientate myself with the target
Old 2012-09-09, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Rabaan View Post
what i like doing with ground attacking, is i set a personal way point on the target area, so i can always orientate myself with the target
I do the same, squad waypoint on the target, personal waypoint on the warpgate for repairs.

Unfortunately still not amazing at attacking, either get shot down way too quickly, or fly around finding nothing to shoot at.

More people need to use their Q(Spot) key....!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion