Questions from a Disgruntled Battlefield Veteran - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Free spam 24/7
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-23, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Re: Questions from a Disgruntled Battlefield Veteran

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
BF3 already isn't Battlefield, it's CoD with permanent vehicles now.

Just like PS2 isn't going to be PS1, it's going to be PS1 with a big touch of Battlefield and CoD.

The key for BF is, it could have been something vastly different from both BF2 and BF3 and pleased everyone, but it wasn't, it was BF3, and that only pleases CoD fans.

PS2 still has hope. It can still be different from PS1 yet only take from BF and CoD those things which will allow the game to please everyone. But if it goes too far in easy mode casualizations like killcam(I KNOW this is not currently planned to be a problem, just listing it as an example), 3D spotting and other stuff, that's certainly not going to endear it to Mordor.
I personally believe that PS2 is leaning more towards Halo on a lot of features, the TTKs look similar, shield play will likely be similar and so on. I'd say consider the game PS1 with a flavour of Halo but with ground progression (in reference to the pace people push up) akin to Battlefield. Bearing in mind that progression will be hampered by slower TTK and much larger numbers.

That's my take on the infantry side of things anyway, from what we've seen. Vehicles are something else altogether though.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-23, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
PredatorFour
Major

From what we have heard id say PS 2 is going to be more of a PS 1 / BF. The great thing is that PS 2 however will be a stand alone FPS, even if it takes some elements from other games. Higgers has said they are still working for thousands of players per cont which would create a scale of fighting truly unrivalled by any other game out there . You wouldnt compare it to BF or COD or any other game then(cos of the scale/no round ends). If this is accomplished it would dwarf PS 1 massively too.

From what ive seen theres alot of disgruntled BF fans and theyre going to jump ship to PS 2.(plz market the game soe!) I hope in the future other companies start making MMOFPS games as this is the best genre there is and theres only one game ! PS
Old 2012-03-23, 08:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Stardouser
Colonel

Well, you have to understand that there are multiple factions within the Battlefield community. What I'm about to say is a massive oversimplification but there's little choice.

One faction is the KDR crowd. They play to have the best kill death ratio and they want to get into the action NOW.

The other is the play to win, KDR be damned crowd, they will drive or walk 5 minutes out of their way in order to surprise attack an important flag, instead of going directly to it and being seen(Note: There are virtually NO important flags like that in BF3). They will throw themselves into attacking a heavily defended airfield in order to stop jet rape even if they have a 5 kill 20 death ratio doing it.

The second group are natural additions to a game like Planetside which is about teamwork, with little worry.

The first group is your problem, how do you keep them satisfied without ruining the game for teamplayers? I've seen discussion about how they can be part of the Zergs, and that seems like a good plan. So let's talk about that. How can a Battlefield zerger be catered to without hurting the overall game? Could there be an "instant action" button that will send a type 1 zerg player to the nearest heavy firefight? Or perhaps even a "instant Teamwork" button that will send a type 2 player to wherever the commanders have designated as an area with the most need?

And also, something else for BF KDR players. Planetside 2 will not, of course, have rounds, but I do assume you can go to a website and see lifetime stats. Another thing that might make BF KDR zergers feel at home is, OK, so you log onto PS2 at night and you play 2 hours. No rounds to end, so it's just 2 hours of play. But what might make BF KDR players feel at home is having a sort of "hit tab to see stats in current play session" function. That way, they've been playing a few minutes, they can hit Tab or some other button and it brings up their stats since their current session started, that way they can track their performance. Maybe after 20 minutes of play, you've got 15 kills,6 deaths, 2 revives, etc etc. The ability to bring up a quick window showing that will really make the Battlefield zerger feel at home and will make them feel better about the loss of "rounds".

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-03-23 at 08:28 AM.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Coreldan
Colonel

I believe you are one of those that didnt play PS1, but at some point they added in a feature where you could have this little stat overlay that basically had kills, death, assists, support exp, battle exp and command exp.

many people curse this addition cos it caused killwhoring according to them, but I dunno about that..

Bad picture, but the only one I could find, it's in the lower left corner. It doesnt show the support exp until you actually have some. I guess either the player has no Assists or it wasnt in the overlay at that time, at least nowadays you see assists on it too.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-23, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
I believe you are one of those that didnt play PS1, but at some point they added in a feature where you could have this little stat overlay that basically had kills, death, assists, support exp, battle exp and command exp.

many people curse this addition cos it caused killwhoring according to them, but I dunno about that..

Bad picture, but the only one I could find, it's in the lower left corner. It doesnt show the support exp until you actually have some. I guess either the player has no Assists or it wasnt in the overlay at that time, at least nowadays you see assists on it too.
Well, personally I don't really agree with an overlay that always shows up on your screen, but instead something that you hit a button to temporarily display.

It should of course show your current session's kills, deaths, naturally, but it should also focus on the team stats in hopes of converting KDR players: Revives, hacks, captures, assists, tech assists(ie, using a spotting tool to laze for heavy weaponry), etc. Oh, and vehicle kills. It's funny how games like Battlefield don't distinguish between killing infantry and tanks in their stats.

The Zergers, and KDR players, they are GOING to be there...that can't be avoided. The key is that SOE make them feel at home without dumbing the game down or alienating the teamplayers. After all, the more players we get, even zergers, the more successful the game is, the more resources PS2 will get directly and indirectly, that will cause more MMOFPS to arise.
Old 2012-03-23, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Coreldan
Colonel

It was an option thing, the keybind for it is.. Alt + S if I remember right. That said, when you enabled it, it was there until you disabled it (as opposed to holding tab for example)

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-03-23, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Ive had Malorns doc open at work most of this week reading it in whilst compiling code and taking coffee breaks, i'm about half way through so far ! Its a long read but if you want to know exactly how the wider meta game worked through the various phases of planetside then its the best source on the net bar none, i also really hope the Devs have read it.. Because it does a great job of identifying the strengths and flaws in the original game and in a lot of cases makes good suggestions on how to combat them. Also, as a guy who loved commanding so much he had two Cr5's (ON THE SAME EMPIRE) it really gets my analytical side tingling, thinking that were going to have to develop a whole new bunch of strategies to ensure we turn all the continents in PS2 red
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion