What Happens to PS1? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'll drizzle tha shizzle all over tha hizzle
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-24, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Re: What Happens to PS1?

Probably runs on the same blade chassis or virtual infrastructure as their other games.
Old 2012-03-24, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
ThGlump
Captain

Cannibalizing still good pieces of HW for new servers?
Old 2012-03-24, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
So then what is the deal with this announcement? Anyone heard? Why upgrade servers of a dead game?
Probably just general maintenance stuff.

I tweeted Smedley a while back that it would be nice if they allowed PS1 to be released open source (both the server and client) so it could be properly updated. Kind of sucks though since SOE wouldn't allow that to happen. They didn't even open source a simple game like Infantry when they shut it down so I doubt they'd let a possible competing game open up for free.
Old 2012-03-24, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
So then what is the deal with this announcement? Anyone heard? Why upgrade servers of a dead game?

The PlanetSide servers will go offline Monday, March 26th at 7AM PT in order to upgrade existing hardware. Downtime is anticipated to be approximately 24 hours and end at 7 AM PT March 27th. We will keep everyone updated as much as possible during the maintenance and appreciate your patience.
I believe they have been moving all of their games and servers around as of late.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-03-24, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Furber
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PrISM View Post
It'll probably just be Azure Twilight MAX crashing empty bases.
This^
Old 2012-03-24, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Probably just general maintenance stuff.

I tweeted Smedley a while back that it would be nice if they allowed PS1 to be released open source (both the server and client) so it could be properly updated. Kind of sucks though since SOE wouldn't allow that to happen. They didn't even open source a simple game like Infantry when they shut it down so I doubt they'd let a possible competing game open up for free.
YOu really have no idea what giant legal hassle it is to release the sourcecode? Especially if any of the stuff is used in any other SOE game.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by basti View Post
YOu really have no idea what giant legal hassle it is to release the sourcecode? Especially if any of the stuff is used in any other SOE game.
Nah I understand that part. I followed the Doom 3 source code struggles that had Carmack rewriting code just to bypass a random legal problem his lawyers foresaw. It would definitely be possible, but it just requires someone high up like Smedley to move the process along. The nice thing is that the Planetside 1 engine seems to be disconnected from other SOE projects since Ratcliff wrote most of it from scratch or so it seems. It's why I've been more hopeful for such a release. (I'm not talking about now. I mean in like 3-5 years when the game is officially shutdown and no project uses its code.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-25 at 01:21 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

The source code would be fantastic, but realistically the chances of that happening are pretty slim.

I'm still amazed at what the Freespace community has managed to do with the source code, because of them the game is still going strong almost 15 years after its release. And it looks pretty amazing now.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion