Vehicles(artillery) and economy - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I had a quote, but i forgot it
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-03-21, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: Vehicles(artillery) and economy

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
edit for stardouzer:
flails could be setup in opposing bases to take advantage of the aa and the base shields

Ah - but maybe they should lowe the range on artillery so that if you are sitting in a friendly base somewhere, you won't be able to reach far enough to hit enemy bases?
Old 2012-03-21, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Mortars can work, they just have to work like real mortars. ie, the people firing the mortars can't necessarily see the target, or anything to do with target acquisition. Project Reality has you being forced to measure distance on map, followed by assigning angle of mortar shot in order to hit target. And then in order to accurately hit the target you need to have people informing you that you need to be closer/further, or whether they're good hits.

Obviously, for an artillery mechanism like that to be anything other than useless they have to be significantly powerful though, unlikely if they're tank mounted. A mortar squad of sorts would be a useful tool in softening up a base immediately before an assault though, or breaking a position. Further to this, mortars don't have a whole lot of ammo and need to be resupplied, resupplies don't give much more ammo either so a whole lot needs dumping with them, making it a large logistics and set up cost and ultimately stopping their abuse because there's a barrier to entry to using them, not to mention actually being part of a mortar squad is largely unrewarding besides being the guy on the mortar.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-21, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Pozidriv
Corporal

IMHO the best (this is not fact just an opinion) type of artillery would be a short range (for artillery) volley type artillery piece. For example 6 (could be less, like 3) consecutive shots of medium powered rounds get fired, followed by a "hefty" reload time.

This way you get some proper area supression but not that OMG WTFHAX!! oneshot kill madness.
Old 2012-03-21, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by CuddlyChud View Post
As far as using air as a counter goes, part of the problem was that often times people would set up in an opposing base, which meant they were surrounded by AA. The amount of effort it would take to kill a flail was often times not seen as worthwhile to the individual.
I don't have an issue with this. Its a war game. Sounds like sound deployment to me.
Old 2012-03-21, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Pozidriv View Post
IMHO the best (this is not fact just an opinion) type of artillery would be a short range (for artillery) volley type artillery piece. For example 6 (could be less, like 3) consecutive shots of medium powered rounds get fired, followed by a "hefty" reload time.

This way you get some proper area supression but not that OMG WTFHAX!! oneshot kill madness.
That actually sounds good. I'd like to see a situation where you could lead a column of like 5-10 artillery pieces, with support personnel for ammo, to do whatever you need to do with them.

Can 1 person in PS1 spot/laze for multiple Flails or does each Flail need its own spotter?
Old 2012-03-21, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Can 1 person in PS1 spot/laze for multiple Flails or does each Flail need its own spotter?
It was one to one. With a long refire rate.
Old 2012-03-21, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Pozidriv
Corporal

That actually sounds good. I'd like to see a situation where you could lead a column of like 5-10 artillery pieces, with support personnel for ammo, to do whatever you need to do with them.

I honestly can't remember, but i think one person could spot for multiple flails if they were in the same squad :P.
Old 2012-03-21, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Shogun
Contributor
General

i´m kind of sure it was "lazer will show on squadmap" so if you got 5 flails in the squad, all 5 could target the lazerpoint.

but it was used so rarely because flails could fire blindly, i don´t know for sure

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-21, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Stardouser
Colonel

Related thought...are aircraft expected to carry any heavy ordnance that might be worth using with lazing? And whether expected or not, how do you guys feel about it?
Old 2012-03-21, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Juneau
Private

Ill admit i havent given this much thought so feel free to tear it apart but one 'artillery' system that i always liked was Joint Operations, basically player could pull mortar and fire it on his own, but the greater the distance the greater the inaccuracy, it was a pretty steep falloff, however if another player lasered a target then accuracy would get better in that area but still not exact, how about something like that? if that still seems abit too much maybe make it so that the laser has to be held on target? cant see some of the stereotypical flail drivers getting out just to go sit and point a laser at a door
Old 2012-03-21, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
SGTalon
Contributor
Sergeant

There is an Economy in PS. It is the soldiers and vehicles.

Read Malorn's Planetside Manifesto. Pretty amazing stuff - http://www.liberty-clan.com/topsecret/psm.pdf

Virtual Hitmen - www.vhm.guildlaunch.com

TR for Life!
Old 2012-03-21, 05:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post

Read Malorn's Planetside Manifesto. Pretty amazing stuff - http://www.liberty-clan.com/topsecret/psm.pdf
That's going to take a while to read...in the meantime, what's a zerg? It is the obvious meaning, meaning a horde of players, or something more specific?

Also, speaking of hordes of players, what is PS2's equivalent of a guild and do you have "guildchat" for it?
Old 2012-03-21, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
DManTech
Private

That's going to take a while to read...in the meantime, what's a zerg? It is the obvious meaning, meaning a horde of players, or something more specific?

Also, speaking of hordes of players, what is PS2's equivalent of a guild and do you have "guildchat" for it?
Yes, zerg = horde of unorganized players.

Guilds in the Planetside world are called "Outfits", and in PS1 you had an outfit chat channel as well as squad chat and several other channels.
Old 2012-03-21, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post

Thanks for the link. I don't remember Malorn ever posting it himself or I must have missed it. It should be an interesting read.

Just for the sake of understanding, are you also a Liberty clan member ? Does the outfit still exist or has it reformed ?

PS2 will have a very interesting and explosive launch if many so many outfits pre-form.

Sad thing is if PS2 is a huge success, it's unlikely that we (we as in PS1 vets) will all be on the same server.

I'll definitely not miss everyone but some will be missed.
Old 2012-03-21, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by DManTech View Post
Yes, zerg = horde of unorganized players.

Guilds in the Planetside world are called "Outfits", and in PS1 you had an outfit chat channel as well as squad chat and several other channels.
That's what I thought, but why am I seeing "Zergs" referred to so often and why does the manifesto writer talk about understanding how they move? Now as I say, I have subscribed to station access and downloaded PS1 to run around and sample stuff, but that's all...when would a zerg form? If I had to guess, that would be, for example, when you lose a base/continent and everyone forms up for a counterattack?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion