Planetside 2 and Trolls - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma hears all
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: How should SOE be against trolls?
Trolling is natural, waste your time banning cheaters not trolls 51 55.43%
Ban every troll....even if they are paying customers. 24 26.09%
Only ban trolls who troll too much 8 8.70%
Ban trolls who troll too much but never permanetly ban them 8 8.70%
Ban trolls but if they actually buy stuff...Don't ban them 1 1.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-02, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Dreamcast
Major

Re: Planetside 2 and Trolls

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
So this thread isnt so much your fear of the damage people will cause to the community, as it is to formulate new ways of griefing and not getting caught for it? haha
Well I wonder what the community thinks about this...but it isn't going to change me

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Wow i feel so old and detached. Griefing is now called trolling? That mean we wont get grief system but troll system to prevent that? It will be like some fantasy game - You hit friendly soldier, there are you 2 trolls.
Well it is not because griefing is done to piss people off which trolls do in forums except with words.

Im sure it will be called the grief system still tho.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Vancha
Colonel

I very much have an EVE mentality. With the grief system being in, so long as someone isn't glitching in order to grief, I have no problem with it.

The only exceptions would be, say, someone who constantly griefs a single person, incessantly, unavoidably, day after day.
Old 2012-04-02, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Infektion
Sergeant Major

I troll, I troll hard, and I troll often, just for my giggles. PLZ DUN BAN MEH!!!
Old 2012-04-02, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

I dont even understand what trolling is, and ive spent the last 15 years on the internet.

It seems like its just a word for people to critisising things of value. Usually through some sort of jealous teenage anger?

Fair enough rant at JJ Abrhams for letting you down on the last episode of Lost, but what kindof life is it to just live that negatively? And then to brag about it like your in some kindof elite clan?
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
PsychoXR-20
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I love trolling

I can't wait to get people in my galaxy and dropping them over the sea,TK, and suicide bombing against my team!...I also can't wait to Verbally troll!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I seriously hope you get hit by a bus before PS2 comes out. This type of attitude is what is destroying gaming communities.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Bags
Lieutenant General

Trolling is doing something to piss someone off so you can get your jollies, usually faking naivete.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by PsychoXR-20 View Post
I seriously hope you get hit by a bus before PS2 comes out. This type of attitude is what is destroying gaming communities.
Dont get abbusive because then they win. Just make a voodoo doll of them, and poo onit daily, and Karma will do the rest!

KALI MA......KALI MA!!
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Trolling is doing something to piss someone off so you can get your jollies, usually faking naivete.
Also a convenient alibi for when you post something incredibly stupid and only realize it afterward, "lol you fell for my troll!!!!"
Old 2012-04-02, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

We shouldn't want to tolerate trolls, but we need to understand the background and conditions that lead to the trolling rather than simply asking for ruthless enforcement. Not all trolls are just doing it to be jerks, some have a purpose that they fail at expressing effectively or constructively.

Out-of-service-region forum trolls probably should be banned immediately. We can't help them, they are just a nuisance, and it is up to SOE to find a way to cater to their region anyway.

People troll for many reasons, though, both in and out of games. Many are things that should lead to legitimate discussions instead of trolling or flamefests. Payment issues, account security breach, inconvenient downtime, frustration over X item not being added / modified / removed, not getting some prize from an event, holiday event decorations, are just some of the things that players will troll over. Not all trolls are just trying to ruin everyone else's gameplay experience, some are trying to make others aware of the things that frustrate them by approaching it in a frustrating way.

Though I'd be happy with a player-based enforcement system to be a part of how we can deal with trolls, kinda like what Riot uses for LoL.

Last edited by Neurotoxin; 2012-04-02 at 03:37 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Hands up if you want to join the Troll Police, vaporising gun. And no grief, any takers?

Also as far as i understood it, compaining over legitimate game issues, or promised content is pretty valid or considered flaming.

Whereas Trolling is being abbusive for the sake of a reaction to feel validated?
Old 2012-04-02, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Dreamcast
Major

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin View Post
We shouldn't want to tolerate trolls, but we need to understand the background and conditions that lead to the trolling rather than simply asking for ruthless enforcement. Not all trolls are just doing it to be jerks, some have a purpose that they fail at expressing effectively or constructively.

Out-of-service-region forum trolls probably should be banned immediately. We can't help them, they are just a nuisance, and it is up to SOE to find a way to cater to their region anyway.

People troll for many reasons, though, both in and out of games. Many are things that should lead to legitimate discussions instead of trolling or flamefests. Payment issues, account security breach, inconvenient downtime, frustration over X item not being added / modified / removed, not getting some prize from an event, holiday event decorations, are just some of the things that players will troll over. Not all trolls are just trying to ruin everyone else's gameplay experience, some are trying to make others aware of the things that frustrate them by approaching it in a frustrating way.

Though I'd be happy with a player-based enforcement system to be a part of how we can deal with trolls, kinda like what Riot uses for LoL.
Sometimes I troll for a cause(most of the times I just troll to troll)....Like sometimes I see some people being dicks(Usually my role) so to make interdasting I troll them to see what happens...they usually get all mad.

LoL model is freaking horrible dude....I mean Horrible for the most part.

First of all the people consider anything a troll even when is not a troll, I guess that's because a lot of people troll like me but the LoL people have no common sense in distinguishing what is a troll...basically somebody sucks so they are a troll which aint true.

I guess LoL model is the best a developer could do tho...is not their fault that people over use the feature against innocent people.

I have gotten ban from LoL for like 3 days.

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Also a convenient alibi for when you post something incredibly stupid and only realize it afterward, "lol you fell for my troll!!!!"
Yes alot of people do that in everything lol.

Usually in League of Legends somebody sucks then they say they are trolling but I can tell they care by the way they play....so to prove a non existant point when we are winning I start feeding on purpose, announce it over the game that the reason Im doing it is to stand up for the true trolling ideal......then I usually ask the person to apologize or else I will keep feeding.

They usually don't apologize out of internet pride/ego.....so I keep feeding and we lose.

Then they get all mad and I get reported...is pretty fun.
Old 2012-04-02, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

I WANT LARGE NPC TROLLS TO ROAM THE COUNTRY SIDE PWEESE. I DONT SEE THAT AS AN OPTION?
Old 2012-04-02, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Fenrys
Major

If trolling becomes problematic, it's an issue with the game mechanics. Balance the mechanics, don't ban people who use them effectively.

Excessive verbal abuse, beyond smack talking "Damn son, you just got wtf pwnd!", should not be tolerated. I don't think this counts as trolling though.

With that said, wouldn't it be cool if there were BFR's, AI bots, a single player version, and story mode with dragons and elves?

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-04-02 at 04:37 PM.
Old 2012-04-02, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Question:

Is trolling named after the classic Norse mythology creature?
Or is it after the style of fishing.
Old 2012-04-02, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
If trolling becomes problematic, it's an issue with the game mechanics. Balance the mechanics, don't ban people who use them effectively.

Excessive verbal abuse, beyond smack talking "Damn son, you just got wtf pwnd!", should not be tolerated. I don't think this counts as trolling though.

With that said, wouldn't it be cool if there were BFR's, AI bots, a single player version, and story mode with dragons and elves?
DreamCasts style of trolling is to kill team mates not the opposing side.

In my opinion, Tkers should be banned. They take away peoples enjoyment of the game and only piss people off just so one person can get their rocks off. I can't see why SOE would want to tolerate such behaviour.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion