Planetside Idea Lab - Page 35 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better anything than purple spandex!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2004-10-10, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #511
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Well the VS ACs could cloak like an AMS...The TR and NC ACs were more traditional styled shield ships.

Tbh, I would prefer getting rid of bases across the maps and changing towers to be the lattice.

ACs I think would make for a more interesting gameplay dynamic, esp if they can't go any lower or higher than 350 meters.

Old 2004-10-10, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #512
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Originally Posted by Sobekeus
But without it, it really isn't ownership.
Bingo. Now you're getting it. The concept doesn't allow "ownership" of continent bases at all. You have ownership of Sanctuary barracks instead. Landlord-like ownership of Gunuku and whatnot is pure silliness. You'd have competition between outfits rather than cooporation. You'd have expensive maintenance, but you'd loose the base in a few hours. Small outfits wouldn't have a chance to keep one. And if the devs buffed defense so much so that an outfit could keep a base for any length of time, the game would grind to a halt. Best to leave full ownership completely out of it, bury the thing, burn it, cut it up into little pieces, tie it to two semi-trucks, and drown it in the river to rot.

.....did you read the article by chance?

To me the Air Cruisers thing I made up on the OF is far easier and much better all around overall.
Air Cruisers are a different concept altogether, so I don't see how one has to do with the other, other than the notion of Outfits getting them.

Tbh, I would prefer getting rid of bases across the maps and changing towers to be the lattice.

Last edited by Hayoo; 2004-10-10 at 07:26 PM.
Old 2004-10-10, 07:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #513
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I'll admit I haven't read the article thoroughly.

But ownership is really the only reason anyone wants this kind of thing. It's a giant pissing contest.

The sanc barracks is a nice idea, but has no practical use that I can think of...

I'll read the article before posting again hehe.

ACs were my idea of giving ownership to everyone without forcing them to stick to a location, always be online, or compete with other outfits.

Old 2004-10-10, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #514
EarlyDawn
Major General

Well the VS ACs could cloak like an AMS...The TR and NC ACs were more traditional styled shield ships.

ACs I think would make for a more interesting gameplay dynamic, esp if they can't go any lower or higher than 350 meters.
Are you replying to me or somebody else? I was asking you if the Outfit Cruiser could fufill the three things that make the OHQ idea great:

- Aids in defending the currently underpowered bases we see today.
- Encourages outfit teamwork at its most basic level (through incentives)
- Gives outfits a sense of brotherhood and ownership.
Old 2004-10-10, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #515
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Are you replying to me or somebody else? I was asking you if the Outfit Cruiser could fufill the three things that make the OHQ idea great:

- Aids in defending the currently underpowered bases we see today.
- Encourages outfit teamwork at its most basic level (through incentives)
- Gives outfits a sense of brotherhood and ownership.
I'll answer this since it doesn't prequisite my reading of the material.

I would say that ACs could helps defense as much as offense...maybe even moreso since they can be fully functional spawns to.

If crewing a flying monster isn't incentive enough, the impact of ACs will be minimal compared to their potential. None of these can be operated by less than 4 players. And that doesn't include weapons.

I think the brotherhood and ownership is accomplished. Some people see a ship the same way they would see a fortress. The difference is in accessibility and mobility.

Old 2004-10-10, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #516
EarlyDawn
Major General

First of all, you really need to read the OHQ document because it does not make ownership of bases a pissing contest.

It allows outfits to solidify defense, establish that they are declaring themselves responsible for protection of the base, and give outfits a center of operation actually ON the frontlines.

As for why Outfit Barracks would be useful, that would be your pissing contest. While you could set up custom training facilities, advertisements, an outfit locker, hangar, and such, its primary purpose would still be mostly saying "Hey, this is ours and we worked hard for it".

The difference is that Outfit Barracks don't step on anybody's toes. They're not limited and you don't have to be a massive outfit like the original OBO doc required you to be.
Old 2004-10-11, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #517
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I read the OHQ concept. It is a good idea. Only real change I would make is mainly cosmetic. The sanc base is more obviously an HQ than the Field Bases would be.

I would prefer the ability to build temporary encampments to having bases.

To me the whole point of bases seems clouded and not very well thought out, but the devs are getting the right idea with this capital stuff.

There should be only one base on each continent, towers and OFBs should make up the rest.

To me the current base system is just a way to get people to fight on more than just one part of a map.

Make it one single base, the capitol, and then use towers as support for it. Like maybe invent new towers.

Air Towers are nice, but they should be taller.

Gun Towers are straightforward, but they could really use more than just the two guns...maybe 4, one at each corner.

Watch Towers are mostly pointless atm, change them to Command and Control Towers, add a couple floors and an observation deck with the cc and controls for linked utilities and/or friendly assets. CinC Towers also let CRs use their available rank based CUD abilities with a recharge counter that is 1/10 the normal time. This does include OSes. The CR has to be in the observation room for this to work.

Add in Power Towers, which basically replace the warpgates as NTU suppliers, they provide power to anything linked, but can supply ANTs independently. They wouldn't refill the base's silo, just keep it from emptying while linked.

Add in Radio Towers, which have an SOI much like current bases do, these would allow for better coordination as a launch point for forces. While in the SOI the RT controlling empire gets Broadcast right within that SOI and to any linked friendly SOIs. But they transmission is one way from an RT. This is to allow feedback to a CR in a CCT, without putting too much stress on the logistics.

Logistics Outposts are simple really, they are simply a Vehicle Terminal with a couple defensive bunkers. The cc is in an underground room that is near the spawn room.

Feild Garrisons are my take on what OBO should be. The Field Garrison is a temporary set of structures that don't appear on the map, but are placed by an outfit officer of sufficient rank and priviledge. The upgrades to this facility are done in the sanc, and are attributed to any of them that are deployed.

It is sort of like Hayoo's Sanc Barracks thing, cept with a more battlefield approach.

The basic OFG would be a Barracks that holds a spawn and lockers, lasts for about 30 minutes, which is when the NTU battery will die.

Upgrades to OFGs can range from one to all to a combination of these:

Medical Tent: Houses a medterm.
Command Tent: Has the same benefits of the CinC Tower.
Radio Tent: Gives the OFG an SOI with all associated benefits.
Power Generator: This gives the OFG the ability to use defenses and NTU Silos
Phalanx Defense System: Sets the OFG up with 4 basic PHalanx turrets.
PDS II: Upgrades PDS to shielded turrets. (that means the gen must fall to kill them)
PDS III: Adds 50% more range to the auto defense computers.
Motor Pool: Adds a basic (non Tech) Vehicle Term.
MP II: Allows Vech term to create Tech Vehicles.
Air Service: Places 4 Air Pads at ground level.
AS II: Upgrades AS to a Galaxy/Lodestar size Air Pad. and adds 2 regular pads to one side.
Stronghold: Places a wall around the OFG
Stronghold II: Places a forcefield (like the CC mod) over the gate.
Stronghold III: Upgrades All doors to IFF
Fortress (Stronghold IV): Upgrades IFF to Passkey system (5x normal hack times)
Fortress II: Generator and Command Tents are shielded.
Fortress III: Entire OFG has a Forceshield put up. Forceshield charges directly off the NTU supply so will drain it when dmged.

Anyway, just a basic overview of how I think it should have been done.

Old 2004-10-11, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #518
EarlyDawn
Major General

Interesting. While I prefer to work with concepts in-game to increase the likelyhood that they'll be implemented, that's certainly a unique thought on how to handle continents.

As for OHQs vs Outfit Barracks, look at it this way: Outfit Barracks are the police stations. Training facilities, equipment storage, ect. OHQs are the crisis response center they set up down the street from an emergency.
Old 2004-10-11, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #519
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Glad you liked the OB/OHQ idea.

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Interesting. While I prefer to work with concepts in-game to increase the likelyhood that they'll be implemented, that's certainly a unique thought on how to handle continents.
Ditto. Some nice concepts for a Planetside 2. With the way it's described (player-placed buildings and such), sounds like it has similarities to RTS, which I don't think is a bad thing.

Last edited by Hayoo; 2004-10-11 at 05:57 PM.
Old 2004-10-11, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #520
StrangeFellow
First Sergeant

Misc Info

not a bad thing at all

System Specs:
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Intel Pentium 4 "C" [email protected]
1024MB PC3200 Corsair Value-Ram
ATI Radeon 9800pro @ xt
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Samsung 160GB SATA holding games'n'stuff
Western Digital 160 ATA100 holding windows and important stuff
Old 2004-10-11, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #521
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Yeah, if I had more artistic talent, I woulda tried to do something like the PSIL. But all I can do is fill up notebooks with numbers.

Old 2004-10-12, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #522
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

http://www.planetside-idealab.com/obconcepts.htm

Sound effects added. Hope to add next sections of this chapter soon, probably Outfit Headquarters first.

Can you spot the two sounds from Rogue Spear?

Old 2004-10-13, 12:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #523
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Holy crap that is awesome, and the interface as well!
Old 2004-10-13, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #524
KamiGaijin
Private

I know this isn't a new idea, but it is a simple improvment I've always wanted and will continue to metion untill Devs take notice (persitance ):

Improved vehicle collision physics:
-When a 20ton tanks steamrolls a cloaker at 60kph, the cloaker shouldn't live through it.
-I'm a dedicated AMS driver; so when I T-bone a Lightning thats 3m from a cliff, I want to see that lightning tumble !
-I've tried "fishtailing" and "leading" ANTs into the ocean: game won't let me.
-Aircraft can collide. Instagib for both pilots.
-That bush will NOT defeat my tank.
-A locked down TR MAX should at least cause a little more damage to that kamikazi Deliverer.
-Instead of bailing from a masquito...guided missile...
-And most importantly: the rule of tonnage. I have more, therefore I have the right of way.
Old 2004-10-13, 11:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #525
Hayoo
Contributor
PS Idea Lab

Thanks Phaden. I'm hoping it gets me a job somewhere.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion