Please delete the Pit, worst base ever - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If this quote gets answered, i'll be dead by then
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-07, 11:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Please delete the Pit, worst base ever

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Then why have that base exist?
Because it's part of the link to the next place so you have to to take it or find a new lattice.

Consider this: if you place infantry there by means of a spawnpoint and create an encirclement around them where vehicles can't play (aside from aircraft that can spam into it, while those inside can't fight back well) and infantry vs infantry is pretty crap inside there as well and you can't even get to the approaches and the vehicle pad because it's simply next to impossible to reach...
Just because you can spawn infantry there doesn't mean you should or have to. The primary fight over the base does not have to be in the base. If the field is won then some people hop out of a tank or whatever and take the point. While vehicles make sure the point stays secure.

If it was about that, there'd not be infantry spawns and there'd be a huge focus on vehicle acquisition there, or at least objectives that can only be secured with vehicles. WHICH THERE ISN'T BECAUSE IT HAS A STANDARD VEHICLE PAD AND THE CC MUST BE CAPTURED BY INFANTRY WHILE VEHICLES CAN HARDLY DO ANYTHING USEFUL BUT CAMP FROM SELECT ANGLES THERE.
Why does there need to be a focus on acquisition at the base? Maybe you need to have people think about it and spawn back to bring vehicles in instead of sticking with the inferior infantry-defense. Is that not a tactical decision?
Things don't need to be designed to be mind-numbingly obvious, so as to remove any true decision-making or learning opportunity.

Because the goal of a competitive game is to have no competition. RIGHT.
This doesn't even make sense. Bringing the right equipment to the game is part of competition.
Spawning infantry at a base easily taken by armor is bringing a hockey stick to a baseball game. You can try but it's not very smart.

Why should it?
Vehicles and vehicular combat are obviously a key component of the game.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2013-06-07, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Catfart
Contributor
Private

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
BRILLIANT !
WHO DOESN'T want to play in a toilet ?
Tried it at Glastonbury. It's not as much fun as you first think.
Old 2013-06-07, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Because it's part of the link to the next place so you have to to take it or find a new lattice.
That's not a good enough reason, in fact, it's a rather arbitrary reason. Especially in relation to The Pit, which has always been there. You can't retroactively argue that this type of crap base exists to be just a stepping stone for vehicles, especially when it is not designed for that purpose and the whole impact vehicles have is not just minimal, boring, pointless and superfluous, but mainly just a source of frustration.

Just because you can spawn infantry there doesn't mean you should or have to. The primary fight over the base does not have to be in the base. If the field is won then some people hop out of a tank or whatever and take the point. While vehicles make sure the point stays secure.
You really need to rethink what a spawnpoint communicates to a player: Optional start point that provides one way of doing something. Game suggests you can do something there, so it has to be possible to do something there. Next to that, the game's vision as stated by the devs suggest you should be able to play the way you want to, which means you should have multiple valid options.

Being forced to abandone and retreat while the spawn is camped throughout isn't a logical default, it's bad design and it's very detrimental to the game.

Why does there need to be a focus on acquisition at the base? Maybe you need to have people think about it and spawn back to bring vehicles in instead of sticking with the inferior infantry-defense. Is that not a tactical decision?
Things don't need to be designed to be mind-numbingly obvious, so as to remove any true decision-making or learning opportunity.
Removing yourself from a fight to be forced to go through logistics that make you be TOO LATE to do anything about the fight you just left sounds very smart tactically and strategically.

Oh wait, no, it doesn't.

[quote]This doesn't even make sense. Bringing the right equipment to the game is part of competition.[/qupte]

Bring it, blow up, sit on a timer. Spawn as infantry, oh wait, not supposed to.

Good design. No really.

Spawning infantry at a base easily taken by armor is bringing a hockey stick to a baseball game. You can try but it's not very smart.
Nor is being dependent on bringing armour over large distances and invoking constant long distance attrition on the DEFENDER side.

Vehicles and vehicular combat are obviously a key component of the game.
Irrelevant commentary. It's key for approaching a base, it doesn't need to be key to holding a base.

It's not often when I read such a load of nonsense in one go.

If you want the kind of bases and capture reasons and gameplay you describe, you'll need completely different infrastructure. You simply don't want to acknowledge that what is there is crap and I really do wonder why.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-06-07 at 01:15 PM.
Old 2013-06-07, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
EvilNinjadude
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
All aboard the "fuck the Pit" bandwagon!
I say level the buildings, construct a 200m blast door on the ground and make Auraxis' first subterranean facility. Flashlights optional
Hell yes, it'll be beta nights without beta nights, plus underground, plus new lighting and door mechanics, plus what we're seeing west of Rashnu...

SOE: Just do it.
Old 2013-06-07, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by bpostal View Post
Okay. I change my opinion from above because what Ruffdog suggests actually sounds pretty cool.
Originally Posted by EvilNinjadude View Post
Hell yes, it'll be beta nights without beta nights, plus underground, plus new lighting and door mechanics, plus what we're seeing west of Rashnu...

SOE: Just do it.
Thanks guys. I imagine a 4 point facility on 3 multi storey levels, bathed in the lumifiber color of whatever empire holds it. The spawners would have the advantage on the bottom level, the middle level would have 2 cap points, less defendable and the top level would be weighted more towards the attacking force. To stop lockdown Maxes from tearing up people on staircases I would keep it open like a volcano base from a James Bond film or something.
All easier said than done, but hey, if you build it they will come!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion