PSU: Have you driven an ANT... lately?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-01-14, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Compaq mobo + 9600 pro = no boot

My freind's pc basically will give us a blank screen with a 9600 pro installed. I tried going into the bios and disabling the onboard and nothing. It used to be my mobo and I ran a gforce 2 in it without haveing boot problems when first installed. We also tried installing the drivers w/ the monitor plugged into the onboard video. Specs are a compaq mobo with 1.3 celeron , 512 sdram , and an attempt to install 9600 pro. Help is greatly appreciated!
Old 2004-01-14, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

he could have a problem, because alot of people with comps that have onboard GFX don't have AGP slots, that would make it not boot. More than likely compaq has made it so you can't upgrade like that, becasue they don't want you to upgrade they want you to buy a new comp from them.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-15, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

It has an agp slot, dont remeber if it 4x or 8x. Now that I know more about pc's i'm kinda surprised compaq put an agp slot on there considering alot of there newer ones and companies like Emachines dont include them. It would of been hell for me back in the day with out the good ol' gforce2 mx. His pc was also originally a compaq also but we put in this new mobo of mine a then reformatted and put a copy of win2k pro on it. So since compaq stores there mobo bios on the hd I know now for sure that there arent any remnants of the older compaq mobo bios on the hd.
Old 2004-01-15, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Add: read ur post agian and kinda missed some of it =) the mobo has both onboard video and a agp slot.

edit: aww poop I accidentaly clicked quote instead of edit. dern double post, kinda.
Old 2004-01-15, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

If your not getting any video from the 9600 pro its prolly not getting enough power to the AGP slot. That or it doesn't like your AGP 4x/8x, which there were some early incompatibilities with 8x slots. Can try another better PSU, other than that there is not alot you can do.
Old 2004-01-15, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Hmmm the power supply sounds like it might be the problem. The case and power supply are from a 450mhz pc so it probably has a low wattage. Thanks for the help so far guys =)
Old 2004-01-15, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

yeah thats probably not goind to be big enough for the card, new 500w ones are only 100 bucks form antec or enermax and off brand one can be as low as 30, i need to get one, this 300w won't be enough for some stuff i'm getting this year.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-01-15, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
sandmtrailboss
Sergeant

Yup go big or go home =) , I got my 600w power supply for 40 bucks from ebay, alittle loud but doesnt bother me.
Old 2004-01-16, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I had a similar problem with my ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256Meg card. I still have not gotten it wokring, I even unplugged everything but the drives to make sure power wasn't being sapped, and still didnt' work. ATI couldn't help, new mobo didn't help I gave up on the card and assumed it was DOA and the online company was no help in refunding.

My comp woulnd't even post or beep with the 9600 in.
Old 2004-01-16, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Daleon
Second Lieutenant

Man that sux. May very well be a dead card. Can't believe the online seller wouldn't take it back. Most do but charge a restock fee. Sometimes its better to pay a little more and buy from either retail or an online reseller you know will take it back.

Only thing I can tell you to do is find someone running a 9600 or better card already and have them test it out in their system to see if the board works or not.
Old 2004-01-16, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Liquidtide
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Yeah, trying to find that Daleon, none of my freinds are 1337 comp users or gamers.
Old 2004-01-16, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Realy anyone that has a comp is a person that can test it(as long as they have an AGP slot, and its kinda new, like 2 years old) becasue the 9600 is 4x compatible, if it done't boot its a dead card.

Its cool my mobo uses the computer speaker to say if somthing didn't boot during the post, liek i oced my CPU to high and it said "CPU failed due to Overclocking" i didn't know it could do that

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum