station cash and items in store - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Gettin` Jiggy Wit` It Since 2002
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-11-04, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
RSphil
Contributor
Major

station cash and items in store

hi all

anyone else look in the decals stuff in the store last night?

1000sc for decal
42000sc for camo.

decal ok its like £3 but i hope to god the camo is wrong as that is near £80 and im fucked if im paying that for camo lol.
so i hope thay still have to sort them prices out.
Old 2012-11-04, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Hamma
PSU Admin

Re: station cash and items in store

They are trying to keep people from buying it in beta.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-11-04, 08:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
RSphil
Contributor
Major

lol i hope so Hamma :P would be easier disabling it, then more people wouldn't have heart attacks
Old 2012-11-04, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Dagron
Captain

I know these aren't the final prices because they're so absurd, but about your comment: decals ok for you costing 10 USD? Wow, i hope they don't decide to keep things expensive after they see that post.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-11-04 at 09:48 AM.
Old 2012-11-04, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
RSphil
Contributor
Major

well $10 seem alot but in pounds its like £3 from i saw getting sc today. which if unlocked for account aint to bad. iv seen worse prices for some free to play games. like £5 just to rent weapons ect. we will have to see what they do. as hamma says its to stop people buying them. but if you are stupid enough to buy something during a beta when we all know accounts get wiped then its your own fault lol.

hope they are priced well and not too over the top. i plan on spending alot not only to look cool but also to support this awesome game.
Old 2012-11-04, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

SOE are running a triple special. Normally $10 is like 6 or 7 quid.

Old 2012-11-04, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
RSphil
Contributor
Major

was on today and got some sc. dropped £37 i want camo, decals and cool stuff lol.
Old 2012-11-04, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
haticK
First Sergeant

edit: nevermind, found my answer

Last edited by haticK; 2012-11-04 at 10:44 AM.
Old 2012-11-04, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

They just try to leech some money. Maybe some stupit mf really buy a camo for 80 bucks. They will adjust the prices later and say it was just to hold people off from buying during beta.
Old 2012-11-04, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Crator
Major General

They can put whatever price they want on cosmetic stuff. It would probably be a good idea to put it at a reasonable price that everyone can afford (perhaps leave some higher priced then others to make them more rare). If you can make something that everyone pays for vs. something that only a few pay for which one makes you more money?
Old 2012-11-04, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
RSphil
Contributor
Major

id say they would put most things at the same price. no one will pay a lot of cash for cosmetic stuff. guild wars 2 has it about right for stuff like that.
if the prices are too hight then they will fail and make nothing. its going to be a tough decision.
Old 2012-11-04, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Ritual
Banned

Camo should cost 1.00$.

Weapon unlocks should cost 2.00$.

Weapon Upgrades like scopes and grips 1.00$.

7 day booster implants, 2.00$

1 day implants 50 cents.

1 hour implants 25 cents.

I cant explain why because it would be a three page analysis, but after much meditation this is what I have come to.

They also need to make gaining things through certs never as viable as getting a membership and using that 500 station cash each month. No matter how hardcore the player is.

A free player who pays nothing yet puts in 40 hours a week should not be on pace with someone who plays a few hours a day and has a membership.

I want SOE to make money so this game doesnt die in a year or two like PS1.
Old 2012-11-04, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
derito
Contributor
Sergeant

I would be very interested in reading that 3 pages analysis.
Old 2012-11-04, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
RSphil
Contributor
Major

a free player with more time should be on pace with a player who plays little but pays. that is why you pay. to keep up with people who have time. if free players where just cannon fodder then they wont play and the game will die. the free players will enjoy it and hopefully then spend cash on stuff like camo. this is not pay to win so buying the weapon mods or getting through certs it makes no difference. if you make it like other free games where you have to buy stuff to get the good gear then it will die. i like how they have done it so far.

just need to the prices of camo's ect. cash shop is mainly for cosmetic and that is how it should stay. if pay to win i'll not play at all as i have not got alot of cash and it will destroy the game for new players and people with not alot of spare cash.
Old 2012-11-04, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ritual
Banned

Originally Posted by derito View Post
I would be very interested in reading that 3 pages analysis.
This is how I figure it in a nutshell.

A 1.00$ camo is a fair deal. A camo is only good for one vehicle, or armor. So there are literally like a ton of them already on the cash shop. Most people are going to want an assortment and if they are priced where people can pick a few and a weapon unlock or two with a 10$ game card, they will go out and get one. Then it will progress to I mine as well pay for membership because I know I can at least unlock something or get some cool decals,camo's with that membership. If you price them too high, people will be like what is the point of spending money on membership if its only benefit is a free 50% implant. People will be alot more reserved. If I had to pay 5$ to apply a camo to my vehicle then I would probably just pick my favorite and ignore the rest. Or buy them when I had nothing else to buy (which will be never). If my 500 Station cash is barely enough for a camo then its going to feel like membership is just reducing the grind slightly instead of actually giving me something beneficial. 1.00$ is a price that would make me feel comfortable to take the plunge into camo buying frenzy. The idea basically is being able get people to buy them because hey "Its only a buck". Lets say we have 100,000 paying customers, 80% of them are going to be casual spenders and 20% might be dropping hundreds each year. Cater to the people who are modest and dont give them a chance to forum rage because "WTF SONY 5$ for a camo? Greedy sons of bitches!". Noone can complain about 1-2$ items.

Weapon unlocks at 2.00$ is fair. There are maybe 20-40 weapons already to unlock, most people will want a dozen of them. At 2.00$ I think most people would not feel it was a substantial payment. The players who play for more then a month are going to want weapon unlocks, earning them through certs is time consuming. A 5.00$ weapon unlock is going to give people pause and maybe only buy the one or two they really want. Make it a 2.00$ fee and I personally would just spend my 60$ and get a few dozen of the one's I will use the most.

The weapon upgrades again 1-2$ is fair because there are something like 100 all together. Getting them through certs will take years, so people are going to "want" to just purchase them. There is a pattern emerging here, 1-2$ is just fair. There will be dozens we want to buy, at 5$ a piece its going to be a punch in the jaw because when we look at the big picture, its alot of money to get everything we want. You want to obfuscate the big picture as much as you can and make it feel like when customers are paying money, they are getting value and knocking a chunk off the "list of things I want". So they dont feel bad about dropping 10$ here, 10$ there. They will see real gains each 10-20$ spent.

And week long implants are really overpriced at 50 cents, but its low enough of a price where people wont care. Its just a 50% gain, and if a normal person can accrue 300 certs a week, and if it takes 500 certs to unlock a weapon, that week long implant is just going to give them maybe barely enough to shave of a few days game time. 50 cents is fair and I think we would all consider implants necessary at that price instead of a luxury. I mean for 1.50$ a month we could all have implants, I can see that being successful. When you put it in that context people will see the worth of implants. I mean who wants to pay anything more then 50 cents for a squad XP bonus unless it was dirt cheap. Implants and boosters SHOULD BE THE CHEAPEST thing to get. It should be like the food and water of Planetside, everyone needs it, craves it, and survives on it. Make it like a lobster dinner and I might use them a few times a year. I also think the monthly membership should be 10$ instead of 15$.

But ultimatly you have to think "How many items do we have on our cash shop, how much of that is going to likely be bought with certs instead of money, and how much money will we get when they buy the rest". You want to make people skip the earning it part, and going straight to the buying it part. Price it to sell. You will lose the game of making money if you go for "overpricing to make up for people who buy stuff with certs".

Who has the patience to play for a few months to get a few weapon unlocks and their upgrades, when you can get them all for 10$ each weapon. Who is not going to spend to get those last few weapons, upgrades or camo, titles that you don't own when its just 20$.

If you start pricing things at 4-5$ for each thing, then the price to get that weapon line or unlock goes from the affordable range, to the OH SHIT this stuff adds up to the price of a AAA New release console game, why bother.

Any serious planetside player will go to the buy option IF its priced to sell.

And we havent even seen decals yet, titles. They want to add even more camo, more weapons, more vehicles, more sidegrades. If they price us out of the market we will just be jealous and mad that we cant afford it all.

Price to sell, price to sell. Should be a sticky note on Smedleys desk.

Last edited by Ritual; 2012-11-04 at 05:18 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion