Nitpicky Request: Outfit Tags - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What happens at PSU, ends up on Google.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2011-08-22, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Synnoc
Contributor
Private

Nitpicky Request: Outfit Tags

I've always felt an important part of the Planetside experience was the encouragement of teamwork and team loyalty. I always liked the concept of the "honorable enemy", where I recognized by name (and hated) the exploits of enemy outfits. The "TRx" tag, for example, commanded notice, respect, infamy, or all of the above. It brought instantaneous recognition without the clutter that an underslung outfit name would cause.

To that end, I would respectfully request PS2 have that kind of outfit tag built into the name display system. Let each outfit leader choose 2-5 letters plus (optionally) various bracers or brackets to offset it, and let a configuration option be to automatically attach that tag to the members of the outfit. The results would only be positive: it creates outfit identity and enemy recognition, as well as less name awkwardness if someone changes outfits.

As well, if PS2 is as big as we all hope it will be, allowing for alliances (groups of outfits) and alliance tags would also be good.

EDIT, since I tweeted this. When you see my name, it would look like "[SoV]Synnoc" or "Synnoc<SoV>" since I'm in the Sons of Vanu outfit. If I left SoV and joined Ghosts of the Revolution, my name might then look like "{GotR}Synnoc". If GotR and Azure Twilight decided to have a combined arms night, one of the leaders might create a "[GoT]" tag (Ghosts of Twilight) that everyone would start sporting for that night's fun.

Last edited by Synnoc; 2012-06-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 2011-08-22, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Nitpicky Request: Outfit Tags

This would be useful; just make sure you have to be in an outfit to use the feature.
Old 2011-08-22, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I want it written on the infantries and vehicles badges.
Old 2011-08-22, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Bags
Lieutenant General

ATx name or BLx name doesn't make the outfits any scarier. TRxname commands respect (also nameDT) because the players are very good.

But I wouldn't be against this.
Old 2011-08-22, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
ATx name or BLx name doesn't make the outfits any scarier. TRxname commands respect (also nameDT) because the players are very good.

Or just have an option to show enemy outfit names under their player name just as it does for friendlies in PS1.
Old 2011-08-22, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

I like but they should be earnt and hard to come by.

Give them a value and then tier them once the game evolves. It will give outfits goals and something to work for. If you limit the supply or add critera to maintain then they would be a great way of keeping players interested in the game and provide a ranking method between outfits.
Old 2011-08-22, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
SavageB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Nephilimuk View Post
I like but they should be earnt and hard to come by.

Give them a value and then tier them once the game evolves. It will give outfits goals and something to work for. If you limit the supply or add critera to maintain then they would be a great way of keeping players interested in the game and provide a ranking method between outfits.
I dont think it would be fair for some "good" teams to have this option only, if they would incorporate something like this, it has to be across the board. Outfits will be earning other things in game, something like this shouldnt be something you have to "earn" imo.
Old 2011-08-22, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
klu
Corporal

i found the friendly outfit tags from ps1 to be too cluttered, i would prefer something similar to the op for both friendlies and enemies
Old 2011-08-22, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Graywolves
General

I never think someone is respectable or scary because of their tags or outfit.

I remember enemy names because of my encounters with them. They already plan to give something identifiable with outfits in customization so that's covered. But I don't feel like that "respectable enemy" recognition can be forced, it's something that just naturally happens.
Old 2011-08-22, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I think the idea is to just have a short outfit tag appear before a player's name, so that you will actually know what outfits you are encountering. Sounds reasonable enough to me. Alternatively the ability to choose or create outfit badges/colorschemes that appear on characters and vehicles. Maybe on the second shoulderpad for infantry.
Old 2011-08-22, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Brusi
Contributor
Major

I definitely agree with the OP in terms of simplifying friendly identifiers, however i'm undecided about the tags showing on enemies.

Displaying enemy outfit tags is cool in terms of promoting competition and community, but i also think that there is a tactical element to reducing the amount of information that is available to your enemy.

I.E. Cyssor All: We can't afford to lose Leza, there are only a few droppers, fast responders, get there and help resecure.

VS

Global: holy shit, there are multiple dudes from "Hero's of the 69th Gravy Train" We need to respond in force now, and quickly! We can't afford to lose Leza!!

In the first instance, if the Hot69GT are actually any good, then the few fast responders that arrive, get dominated and hilarity ensues. In the second instance, the defense of Leza is not simply left up to the zerg and the strategic advantage is lost, however this may have the effect of promoting competition between skilled outfits. If an enemy outfit knows where your outfit is conducting ops, then they can respond more often.
Old 2011-08-22, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
zuesrocks
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post

no not really there are just players like everone ealse
Old 2011-08-22, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I'm good with it, only if /t BigCook will reach BigCook indepndently of him being Th3xBigCook or NotS0xBigCook.
Old 2011-08-22, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

The time to penis ratio on this is even lower than the idea for having players contribute art as monuments ingame.

I call dibs on the outfit tag:
3==D

also, I Approve.
Old 2011-08-22, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Brusi
Contributor
Major

damn! ok... but i get (. )( .)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion