Cont Lock finally? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better your mom's new boyfriend then your dad's
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2014-06-03, 12:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Muldoon
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Associate Programmer

Re: Cont Lock finally?

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
Any argument that has the phrase "real gamers" mentioned in it is not an argument worth considering.
I agree completely. So much so I made a flow chart.

Do you play video games? -> Yes -> You are a real gamer.

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
I am also going to point out once again that PS2 still has no user's guide. That is just pure fucking insanity. You want to know why new users drop out at appalling rates? That's why.
While it would be great to have a user's guide, most new players would never look at it.

Originally Posted by Illtempered View Post
Of course we need to get new players into the game. Let's do that by making an amazing game that retains its veteran population with it's incredibly fun game-play. Build it and the nubs will come. Stop pandering to their every whim.
Every veteran started as a noob. And if veterans mop the floor with noobs, why would they stay?

Last edited by Muldoon; 2014-06-08 at 11:20 PM.
Old 2014-06-04, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Illtempered
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Muldoon View Post
I agree completely. So much so I made a flow chart.

Do you play video games? -> Yes -> You are a real gamer.

Why it would be great to have a user's guide, most new players would never look at it.

Every veteran started as a noob. And if veterans mop the floor with noobs, why would they stay?
Ok ok, yeah farmville players are real gamers. Give me a ***%#in break. I'm talking about real FPS gamers, yeah the master race. Go back to your farmville, console, and phone games if you don't get it.

Why would nubs stick around after getting mopped by vets? Um, because they're not pussies? That's the simple answer. Maybe you can't relate. That's how many of the dev decisions in this game seem to be made.

1) Nub(dev) logs in.
2) Nub gets owned.
3) Nub nerfs weapon/playstyle that owned him.

What got me so addicted to online gaming was getting my ass handed to me in Counterstrike.
Old 2014-06-04, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Ok ok, yeah farmville players are real gamers. Give me a ***%#in break. I'm talking about real FPS gamers, yeah the master race. Go back to your farmville, console, and phone games if you don't get it.

Why would nubs stick around after getting mopped by vets? Um, because they're not pussies? That's the simple answer. Maybe you can't relate. That's how many of the dev decisions in this game seem to be made.

1) Nub(dev) logs in.
2) Nub gets owned.

What got me so addicted to online gaming was getting my ass handed to me in Counterstrike.
I'm really glad you're not a game designer. Your fratboy "alpha male" bullshit would never go anywhere in a game development environment. Counterstrike is renown for having one of the shittiest gaming communities to have ever existed, and the only reason it's survived is because its lobbies have a relatively small amount of players in them; you don't need very many players to get a Counterstrike match going, and only a hundred or so people per server is enough to ensure that you continuously get matches. By comparison, you need THOUSANDS of players *per server* AT ALL TIMES in order for Planetside 2 to function. It needs a larger community than ANY other game that has ever existed in order to function. So it can't afford to have this macho-man dudebro mentality of "fuck da noobs the MLG pro-players will stay!" It has to cater to "casuals" because whether you like it or not, "casual" gamers vastly outnumber "no-lifers" like you and I.

So cool, you want the game to cater to the "hardcore master race alpha" nerd? Alright, then what you basically want is for the game to be empty, with only a couple hundred playing it per server. Kudos.

Last edited by BlaxicanX; 2014-06-04 at 07:27 PM.
Old 2014-06-04, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

1) Nub(dev) logs in.
2) Nub gets owned.

Take it someplace else if you find yourself unable to handle a disagreement in a constructive manner.
Nothing Muldoon wrote warranted such a reply.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2014-06-04 at 05:21 PM.
Old 2014-06-04, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Figment
Lieutenant General

*stuff*
Oi, that's uncalled for.

Just state your prefered design argument and provide some alternatives. Don't simply insult or suggest only the elite is allowed to play the game.

Why not suggest some ways to let devs help players learn the game, rather than take the easy route and insult a dev for not doing as you want without being constructive about it?

Even though I disagree with the solution taken by the dev team, he's got a point on the new player thing. However, while I disagree with the solution provided.

Currently the game provides and applies a "bandaid" or "cure" for the player (to a minor extend). Personally I'd prefer "prevention" and teaching "self-medication" through tutorials and hints in game.

Possibly players that die frequently getting some suggestions on changing their behaviour through loading screen texts or some such.

Raging about it is not the solution.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion