SOE Event Planning: Suggestions wanted! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait don't shoot! I need to reload!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-01-06, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Danicia
Sony Online
Sparkly Princess
of Social Media.

Question SOE Event Planning: Suggestions wanted!

Greetings all!

I've been doing this a while, so I know all your tricks about getting information out of Devs! That being said, I'm going to do my best to /not/ reveal anything while still asking for some feedback.

For those of you new to Planetside 2, you may not be aware of our yearly fan event for SOE games. We just had our first planning meeting, which was fantastic! There are a lot of great things coming up, and we have some great ideas to spotlight Planetside 2.

If you follow the Station Forums, specifically the Fan Faire planning forum, you may note that our event will be in Las Vegas in Autumn. That's about as close as I'm going to get before we go public with an announcement!

Here are some questions for you:

1. Have you been to one of our events before? If so, what did you like about it? What did you dislike?

2. If you haven't, what sorts of panels & activities would bring you to Vegas to hob nob with our Planetside 2 team & other players/fans?

3. Any other suggestions?

Regarding other conventions:

1. Do you attend PAX East in Boston or PAX Prime in Seattle? If we didn't exhibit, but had other ways of showing the game at either, what sorts of things would you like to experience regarding Planetside 2?

2. Do you attend ComicCon? Dragon*Con? Games-Com Cologne? What would draw you to attend these events if Planetside 2 was involved?

I want to make a special note regarding non-SOE events. Don't look too much into these, as we cannot promise we'll be involved at all. Think of it as an informal poll so I can write up some things.

Thanks!
Old 2012-01-06, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Re: SOE Event Planning: Suggestions wanted!

1. No
  2. Were I to venture to Las Vegas for the sole purpose of Planetside, the gathering would likely have:
    • Outfit Meet & Greet
    • Developer Meet & Greet, long-winded questionnaire, lengthily film and afterparty.
    • ARG?
    • Physical activity of some kind, airsoft/paintball with the devs, etc. Ooh, Planetside weapon airsoft. Nom.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

Never been to an event: location location location. On that note, Cologne, that's almost nearby... >.>

At least I take it's the German Cologne? :P

Hmmm... suggestions?

* Dev team interrogation session (preferably incl. truth serum and some blackmail suitable photographs).
* Brewko piñata (just tie him up on a string, no need to fill with candy) with "NO to Reaver buff" and "NO to BR40 with extra certs" signs readily available
* mini-Thunderer toy model and/or an exploding mini-Magrider toymodel <3
Old 2012-01-06, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Erikson
Private

Originally Posted by Danicia View Post
If we didn't exhibit, but had other ways of showing the game at either, what sorts of things would you like to experience regarding Planetside 2?
That took me a while to figure out what you were asking. So if you don't have an exhibit, but still had a presence at PAX... A panel would be nice. Selling, or preferably handing out, T-Shirts.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Espion
Staff Sergeant

I would never attend any event with that scottish bearded female wizard thing from last fanfaire. Step 1 is burning that.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

1. I have not been to any of your events before, nor any convention as of yet.

2. I couldn't afford to travel to Vegas, as I am in New Hampshire, working on my Doctorate of Psychology, so even if the tickets were somehow free, I wouldnt' have the time to make that trip.

3. The developers of Planetside 2 are the most involved, fan-supporting team in gaming history. Embrace that, and cultivate it, and celebrate how involved your team is; it will create an unbelievably strong community, and a deeply-rooted sense of connection with Planetside 2 and its fans.

1. I am EXTREMELY excited to be attending PAX East this year for the first time, and intend to make it an annual event! Any information about Planetside 2 would be my primary attraction at PAX, without question. It would be amazing to have a hands-on playing opportunity, though that would be determined by how far-along the game is in its development. If hands-on playing was not available, then a long demonstration would be amazing. And I would be thrilled to meet Higby, T-Ray, or Maggie Ann; they are like our celebrities.

2. PAX East is the only convention I'm attending this year.

Thank you so much for reaching out to us for our input!

~Zachariah
Old 2012-01-06, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Games-Com Cologne Would get me if any of the devs are around. An open round table about future plans would pretty much force me to attend.

As for the other stuff: Attending anything US based is quite pricy, and therefore not possible.

As for the presentation: Everyone has a panel and shows his game, everyone has big banners and flashy images to gain attention. Everyone fails at that.
To gain the max of attention out of an event, put some guys and gals in Game related outfits (Have a chick in a VS cloaker suit, hurrrr ), let them roam the halls and give out flyers.

Also, involve the community as much as possible: For example, CCP had a german Corporation (A guild/Clan/bla, players) doing their Eve stuff at GamesConvention Leipzig for several years (the event that was before GamesCom). And i believe the same guys do GamesCom these days.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Danicia View Post
2. If you haven't, what sorts of panels & activities would bring you to Vegas to hob nob with our Planetside 2 team & other players/fans?
Well since you said it will be in the Fall, then ideally the game will be released by then so I may not be able to pull myself away from Auraxis even for a trip to Vegas.

But if I could, then a panel discussing the "3 Year Plan" we've heard about would be a requirement.

A massive Planetside 2 LAN would be pretty epic. Playing with massive amounts of people not only online but in the same room would be a unique experience.

If the game isn't releaed by the Fall....then there is only 1 thing you absolutely need to do at Fan Faire...Release the game.

Old 2012-01-06, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tikuto
Major

Lightbulb 'Supreme Commander' Live Game Event

1. Have you been to one of our events before?
No.

2. If you haven't, what sorts of panels & activities would bring you?
  • Not far from airport
  • Easy to locate
  • Cheap prices alongside Visitor's travel and accommodation costs. Reward for bringing a friend
  • Interviews and Q&A
  • Entertainment (PlanetSide-related or not):
    • Music
    • Costume
    • Drama
    • Comedy

3. Any other suggestions?
  • Hospitality (Outdoor): Food for starved people, Shelter for queue, Security including presence of Event-handlers.
  • Hospitality (Indoor): Food, Warmth, Security, 101% Presentable, other Services (toilets, cashpoint, leaflets, etc)
  • Immersion. "This is PlanetSide! Why does it feel like a cold quiet hospital with Elves?!"
  • Photography
  • Semi-nudity. Horny ladies.
  • Catering (Food to digest all the awesomeness during Event intervals)
  • Quiet zone (for the home-sick, etc..) which becomes a;
  • Themed Party zone later! (to let the end-day simmer into memory...)
  • T-Ray sayin' "We got this.."
Supreme Commander Live Game Event: A key unique new thing that involves whole world regions and players simultaneously. A preluding regional tournament to reveal some of PlanetSide2's world's best commanders. These Supreme Commanders e.g. three (TR, NC & VS) attend the Event as V.I.Ps., and attend their live-game 'supreme commander' event competing over one continent involving and subjecting every player to their strategies, almost, as they will have special contemporary Event-related Supreme Commander abilities:
  • an Imperial Mothership (one each Empire through-out whole Event).
  • summon BFRs (limited) for home-based regular players.
  • an Inspirational Presence (auto-buff chain-linked friendlies).
  • Unique in-game Battle Suit.
  • summon Unique territorial buildings.
  • other super-amazing powers...
This 'sports' event would identify the game's popularity as well as showcase some extraordinary moments of the players and the 'supreme commander' event itself. An event to promote popularity, in-game experience for those who are destined to become ... the Supreme Commander of their Empire! And possibly even promote sales and the Fan Faire as well as attract PlanetSide2 to venues around the world, maybe! At the same time treating the whole player-base within their homes around the world with live-game Event contents! Everyone would be loving it especially your Supreme Commander!

The 'big screen' live-game client will be specially made for showcasing this Live Game Event. Camera-panning, freely moving and viewing whole continent, territorial map and Supreme Commander's unique content, actions and inventory. Commentators may be necessary.

1. Do you attend PAX East in Boston or PAX Prime in Seattle? If we didn't exhibit, but had other ways of showing the game at either, what sorts of things would you like to experience regarding Planetside 2?
No.
  • Big screen of the live-game Supreme Commander event. Supreme Commander attending from home. Bonus if the three supreme commander players have a webcam.
  • An audience at the Event.
    1. Deal: Free tickets! Bigger audience!
    2. Deal: Bring a friend for free! Bigger audience & more fun!
  • Guest 'Militia' players at the event contributing to the live game and the 'Supreme Commander' Event idea if it's On!

2. Do you attend ComicCon? Dragon*Con? Games-Com Cologne? What would draw you to attend these events if Planetside 2 was involved?
No. No. No.
Same as [1.] above.

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-02-11 at 09:10 AM.
Old 2012-01-06, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Hey thanks for asking for the input!

I've never been to fan-faire because of:
A) That damn bearded Elf.
B) All the Everquest nerd-dom
C) It's on the opposite side of the country.

If you came to PAX east with an awesome display, and made a show of it, I would most defiantly be in for that, PLUS that will give you far more coverage than fan-faire, SOE just isn't as relavent as it used to be, so except for some MMO circles it's largely ignored I find. The idea of going to an SOE-run convention where the main attraction is Everquest really isn't the kind of thing Planetside player are in to, or want to be associated with, for the most part.

Just make the rounds at the conventions, set up a large bank of computers, and let people experience the game like you did with PS1 at E3 all those years ago. Put Higby and T-Ray out there to talk to the press along with a few others, they're quite charismatic and seem to make a great impression on the media, and just expose people to the game.

Now if you were to ask me, what would get me to come to fan-faire? If you offer those that go keys for alpha testing, or simply let them put their hands on the game at let the veterans get a feel for it. WE SHALL COME.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tasorin
Staff Sergeant

Pax Prime > SOE Fan Faire

First SOE FanFaire I went too was during the SWG hey-day. Personally, the SOE specific content isn't a big enough of a driving factor for me to take a trip to Vegas to get content that I could get less then a week after the event. This is where Pax Prime has a greater draw for me then a specific developers Expo. More variety at Pax Prime from multiple Dev Houses and usually there are multiple "firsts" at Pax for release of information across a wider base of gaming genres.

That being said, there are plenty of fan boi's and gal's out there that eat this kind of thing up. Some of the things that were quality about previous SOE FF were industry God Fathers that don't do a lot of these types of events. Point in case is Larry Elmore. Other then Ed Fries, Elmore @ FF was probably one of the best panels I have attended. The more unique content in SOE FF you can get the better off you are going to be in drawing in customers and differentiating yourself from PAX. Don't punish your community though by not attending a PAX in order to try and draw people into FF.

Secondly, SOE FF suffers from the bane and boon of streaming content be it live or a repackaged replay. I no longer have to attend the SOE FF in order to get the chance to see Smed's kick off a FF as the Keynote Speaker. That goes for Authorized content and vid's from the Tapers Section.

The bottom line for me is I don't want to dress up in costumes, I don't care about other content that SOE has other then PS2, I don't want to stand for 45 minuets to wait for a spot to stand in a Conf room in order to hear a symposium or keynote interaction that I can get off the web in real time or on replay. These are the detractors for SOE FF for me personally.

I would like to add as well that Higgles does such an amazing job in connecting with the closed community of PS that he has reset the bar for what it takes for me to believe a Dev is really committed and passionate about their project. The SOE Community Engagement and Marketing people should be heaping praise on him not rapping his knuckles for his continued support and interaction with the Core PS Community.

If you want to draw people in for PS2, give them an opportunity to play a closed LAN on a ALPHA build and be some of the first PS Community to get some stick time. Lastly I would like to add that the SWAG bags for me personally are mostly garbage I wouldn't buy and don't keep. Just my two cents worth, but if you want the SWAG bags to be legendary then reduce the volume of junk in the bag and increase the quality and rarity of what is left in the bag.

Last edited by Tasorin; 2012-01-06 at 03:17 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
SgtMAD
Captain

LOL I live IN VEGAS and have been here for the last 25 years and I never attended any of the SOE Fan Faire's

I now wish I would have because then DanB and I would be drinking buddies and that would lead to a beta inv..............

I could lead everyone on a Stripper Hunt,teach ppl how to tip in Vegas to get that VIP experience,show these ppl what strip clubs to avoid and which ones are the most fun.

you also need to move the events out of Bally's and go to The Palms,the scenery there is so much better. plus you would generate more buzz because The Palms would put you on the huge markee(sp) on Flamingo so everyone would see we were there.

no one comes to vegas to stay at friggin Bally's, its old and very dated.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Went to last year's FF. Absolutely loved it.

Things I liked:
PS2 panels and the ability to talk 1v1 with the devs and Smed himself
The opening and closing receptions that tried to incorporate all the SOE titles
The awesome pool party (when not raining)

What I didn't like:
95% of the attendees were EQ players. Only 5 or 6 real PS players were there, but I guess that was mostly to do the last-minute deal of PS2 and the historic low PS turnout.

Things I would like to see:
More PS2 panels (which I'm sure there will be next go-around as there is more to talk about)
More PS stuff in general (events, contests, etc), but I'm sure that will also come with the increased popularity.
Some way to attract many many more PS2 fans to attend (perhaps the above will do it)

All in all, Fan Faire is a great event. If you have enough PS2 panels and events, the players will come.
Old 2012-01-06, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
acosmo
Sergeant Major

funny, i said PS2 CON in a recent thread and then suddenly this? butterfly effect

1. Have you been to one of our events before? If so, what did you like about it? What did you dislike?
I haven't been to any SOE events.

taunt animations mocap contest
Old 2012-01-06, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
If I were to go to Las Vegas, I will get entirely too drunk and arrested and not specifically in that order. Onsite drunk tanks would be my first suggestion :P
You and Evilpig would have a great time.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion