Religion - Page 60 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: OOOO a frisky one are we?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-01, 12:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #886
Vecha
First Sergeant

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
Sure....but thats not what I'm talking about so thats pretty pointless.
Here's what I mean:
1. All telephone poles are elephants. 2. Sally is a telephone pole. 3. Therefore, Sally is an elephant.

1 and 2 are premises and 3 is the claim. If you don't accept 1 or 2 you cant claim/believe 3. Very same idea here applies to atheism as it does with any claim someone tries to make.
If that isn't what you are talking about...maybe you should think through what you say.

And if you are going to make an analogy, explain it.

I know you want to make a premise with god being supernatural...and supposedly atheists not believing in god...

"Now when you say you're an atheist yet you believe in say the tooth fairy then you're not a real atheist because you violate one of the premises of the Atheists' claim. You cant legitimately be an atheist who doesnt believe in other worldly things like a god, but believe in ghosts. Its a logical hypocrisy, simply put. "

This isn't explaining it.

Try not to be condescending as well.

You may think you are the next best thing next to the idea of Atheism, but people are going to not be able to take you serious when you ramble on and on like you do while being arrogant and condescending.

If you did take a Logic course...I hope you were able to explain yourself a bit more.
Old 2012-07-01, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #887
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
If that isn't what you are talking about...maybe you should think through what you say.

And if you are going to make an analogy, explain it.

I know you want to make a premise with god being supernatural...and supposedly atheists not believing in god...

"Now when you say you're an atheist yet you believe in say the tooth fairy then you're not a real atheist because you violate one of the premises of the Atheists' claim. You cant legitimately be an atheist who doesnt believe in other worldly things like a god, but believe in ghosts. Its a logical hypocrisy, simply put. "

Try not to be condescending as well.

You may think you are the next best thing next to the idea of Atheism, but people are going to not be able to take you serious when you ramble on and on like you do while being arrogant and condescending.

If you did take a Logic course...I hope you were able to explain yourself a bit more.
No, if thats not what I was talking about....try re-reading (or actually reading) what I have to say.

Originally Posted by Vecha View Post
Except it is,

Here's what I mean:
1. All telephone poles are elephants. 2. Sally is a telephone pole. 3. Therefore, Sally is an elephant.

1 and 2 are premises and 3 is the claim. If you don't accept 1 or 2 you cant claim/believe 3. Very same idea here applies to atheism as it does with any claim someone tries to make.
There's no simpler way to explain how an argumentative claim is structured. You have your premises (All telephone poles are elephants and Sally is a telephone pole) and then you have your argumentative claim, based off your premises (Therefore, sally is an elephant).

"There is no god" is the argumentative claim. You need premises to reach that claim though. Premises like for instance, there cannot be anything outside the natural world. Because if you believe there could be then there could just as easily be a god and therefore you wouldnt be an atheist.
Old 2012-07-01, 03:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #888
Figment
Lieutenant General

You really don't know a thing about it, do you? Atheism is the lack of belief in a god OR gods. It is not a religion and atheism is not a believe set. You can be an atheist towards pantheon gods, but not considered religion X as either wrong or proven. As a skepticist you will demand evidence to the claim though and if they fail to provide that you will probably take the atheist stance to religion X as well. You will be agnostic as long as you give someone a chance to have their say without instantly disbelieving them or approaching the claim biased. As a skeptic, you and I both would take an atheist stance in such debate, but others may not, yet still disbelieve in other gods.

You keep putting YOUR definition of atheism out there as THE definition. Yet you fail to see that three separate atheists are correcting you...

Nothing more. I've come to the conclusion I don't believe in any gods, but only by evaluating everything skeptically. You ignore argumentation, definitions, don't know or want to know the definition of skepticism and arrogantly assume you can't ever be mistaken. Sorry to bust your ego, but you are wrong.

How dare you accuse others of bad logic, if you aren't even willing to listen to them and how dare you claim to be on the side of science if you can only assume you are right and your grasp of the argumentation beyond critique?
Old 2012-07-01, 05:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #889
MadPenguin
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
How dare you accuse others of bad logic, if you aren't even willing to listen to them and how dare you claim to be on the side of science if you can only assume you are right and your grasp of the argumentation beyond critique?
QFT!
Old 2012-07-01, 07:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #890
Figment
Lieutenant General

Think it would help him to realise that there are many forms of naturalism too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism
Old 2012-07-01, 07:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #891
therandomone
Sergeant

You really don't know a thing about it, do you? Atheism is the lack of belief in a god OR gods. It is not a religion and atheism is not a believe set. You can be an atheist towards pantheon gods, but not considered religion X as either wrong or proven. As a skepticist you will demand evidence to the claim though and if they fail to provide that you will probably take the atheist stance to religion X as well. You will be agnostic as long as you give someone a chance to have their say without instantly disbelieving them or approaching the claim biased. As a skeptic, you and I both would take an atheist stance in such debate, but others may not, yet still disbelieve in other gods.

You keep putting YOUR definition of atheism out there as THE definition. Yet you fail to see that three separate atheists are correcting you...

Nothing more. I've come to the conclusion I don't believe in any gods, but only by evaluating everything skeptically. You ignore argumentation, definitions, don't know or want to know the definition of skepticism and arrogantly assume you can't ever be mistaken. Sorry to bust your ego, but you are wrong.

Hmm, where to start. First off I like the attitude in this, its a bit too much "for the little guy" for my tastes but the righteous vibe I get does make me giggle.
As for the first two paragraphs, I like the parts where you indirectly give a definition to atheism ("You will be agnostic as long as you give someone a chance to have their say without instantly disbelieving them or approaching the claim biased", therefore you claim an atheist is one that instantly disbelieves them, and basically the opposite of the agnostic that you listed). The kicker in this being is that your next line, literally your next line (really doesnt get much better than this) you tell me im trying to propagate my own definition as the definition....as you previously tell me what an atheist, agnostic, and skeptic are. Do you see what I'm getting at? If I didnt explain it well enough let me try and break it down simply: you contradicted yourself in your first two paragraphs making that specific point you were trying to make as worthless as the "logic" you tried to base it on.

Now that thats out of the way,time for some more fun. You say people can be atheistic towards the polytheistic religions and yet believe in a monotheistic religion....yes, we call those people christians (but I digress). Those people are hypocrites that say they believe in one god but not another. Its a logical contradiction. What makes one god different than the others except for the belief system attached? In fact allah=yaweh=god, the big three are all the same god. Honestly though, when you flipped the argument and used pantheon gods compared to the Judeo-Christian god, it gave me a run for my money for a little there. (Im seriously not trying to patronize or be condescending. I really mean well done on that, since no one else has come close).

With that in mind though, saying I ignore argumentation would be like saying you read my posts. The only thing I do is use logic when making argumentative claims. You must have missed the post I made detailing premises and arguments...literally explaining them.

And see, I don't accuse people having bad logic without listening to what they have to say. I first listen to what they have to say, evaluate it from a logical standpoint, then explain my support or disagreement towards whatever claim. Can I be proven wrong? Of course. Hell, I'll even admit it when I'm wrong.

Want to know what I won't admit to though? Being a 12 year old boy who believes every half-assed argument he sees on the internet. Why? Because I'm not. Its the reason I can't agree with most of the stuff posted because it doesn't hold up to any sound logic. Which, when your argument is a joke, so are you.

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Oh, do I need to turn in my Atheist Club Card? Is my membership revoked?

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe there is a god (or gods). Period. That's it. It says nothing about what other beliefs a person has. There would be nothing incorrect about someone referring to themselves as an atheist but believing in an afterlife of some sort. It would be perfectly acceptable for an atheist to believe in something like karma, where if you do good things, good things happen to you due to some kind of supernatural magic. How about an atheist who thinks the Mayans really could predict the end of the world, and it's happening this December?

None of these things are at odds with being an atheist. What you're describing -- deference to logic and appreciation of science while not believing in god(s) -- is an atheist, plus a bunch of other shit. But to describe a plain, simple atheist as someone who is logical and rational is completely incorrect. Not believing of god says absolutely nothing about one's position on being logical or rational. A small child too immature to grasp the concept of deities, for example, is an atheist, and yet they probably don't get excited when people start talking about physics or logic, do they?

And this isn't sarcastic or anything. Honestly, this shit's about as straightforward as it gets. Just look up any decent definition of the term and stand agape at how improperly you've interpreted it. Incidentally, this is also why I think we should abandon the terms "atheist" and "agnostic" altogether. Silly people impress their own definitions onto them much too readily.
Let me just start off by saying, anyone who thinks the Mayans predicted the end of the world in 2012 is a moron. Im not trying to sound condescending here, but I sure as hell wont sugar coat it--you are so ass-backwards if you actually believe that. I don't even mean that the world will end, but that you believe they believed to have predicted that the world will end. (http://www.cracked.com/article_17445...-bullshit.html)

Ok, now for the serious stuff. An atheist who supports the idea of an afterlife, is like a democrat that supports Romney. It is such a logical inconsistency its almost painful you keep repeating such an invalid claim. An atheist is generally an atheist because they feel that there is no proof in the claim that there is a god, and often quite the contrary, feel that there is proof to suggest there is no god. How can one believe an idea that has such little proof to support it (say an afterlife),and in fact more to support the contrary (that there is no afterlife). It is completely illogical.

Also a small child would be an agnostic if anything(I realize this section is splitting hairs, but if you included it, I will as well). If they can't understand the concept of deities and all that fun stuff, how can they make a legitimate decision if they can't even comprehend the decision they're making?

I truly thank you for saying this, because you gave me an easy way to dispel your argument;it was honestly one of my favorite things you said in your post: "how improperly you've interpreted it." That phrase was like a key that opens the door to your own hypocrisy.
By saying how improperly I've interpreted it you actually prove two things
1. It is up for interpretation
2. And that there is a proper way to interpret it.

Which stands in stark contrast to your first sentence "An atheist is someone who doesn't believe there is a god (or gods). Period."

...so maybe we should revoke your membership and that way we'll have one less fool contradicting himself in his own argument.

Think it would help him to realise that there are many forms of naturalism too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalism
You didn't look too hard did you? Hell I would bet you didnt read a damn word on those pages otherwise you'd know "Naturalism commonly refers to the viewpoint that laws of nature (as opposed to supernatural ones) operate in the universe, and that nothing exists beyond the natural universe" (I got this from the Naturalism page, you might have known this if you read). Not only that, but its pretty common knowledge there are multiple forms of naturalism. I think it would help you to realize that while there are many forms of naturalism, they all have that basic premise too.

Last edited by therandomone; 2012-07-01 at 07:28 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #892
Figment
Lieutenant General

Oh where to start. You must have aced "missing the point"-class.

First off, you put words in my mouth. No, an atheist is not someone who "instantly dismisses". An atheist is someone who either concludes from the lack of observable evidence - so beyond and more specific than a skeptic who questions everything - that a god doesn't exist OR has no knowledge of something to believe in and therefore cannot believe in something. An agnostic has heard the argument, but didn't decide to disbelieve or believe yet.

SKEPTICS question everything. ATHEISTS may not question everything, they disbelieve in (specific) god(s). Period.

That is something you fundamentally do not wish to comprehend, because you're too attached to your definition that combines naturalism, humanism, atheism, skepticism and a few more things INTO ONE thing you call "Real" 'Atheism'.

You are unable to separate the definitions and confuse them continuously while pulling a "True Scotsman" (only those fitting YOUR definition are "real" and anyone else is a fraud). And don't want to realise this or admit this because your ego gets in your way.
Instead you argue that only your definition is right and this is the "real deal", everyone else has it wrong as long as they do not commit to your definition or they must be something else. You've made this type of argumentation a few times already and it's getting old.

To go back to what I said, I stated it matters WHEN this conclusion is drawn, before or after hearing the evidence and doing an analysis and evaluation. Because that makes the difference between an agnostic and an atheist stance to something: concluding. Again, demanding evidence is skepticism and can be applied to both agnostic and atheist thinking. But they don't NEED to be. Someone may have very different than scientific arguments to disbelief in a god. Maybe they don't like the chap enough.

There certainly are overlaps, but the fine print means something else and you go way out of line with your definition and you try to make it more than what it is. I think the words you are actually looking for is secular humanism. A lot of people like you confuse this with Atheism as if Atheism is some sort of way of life. Hence why you keep bringing up you apply it to everything. Again, this is called SKEPTICISM.

The thing is, I and everyone else here but you and a couple of theists (!), try to prevent changing the actual definition of "atheist" (lack of belief) to "Atheist" (lack of belief + several philosophies on life, morals and ethics). You don't get that we stick to "atheist" to keep the definition pure and simple, whereas you don't, possibly because you want people to group around you, whether consciously or not.

You're probably more secular humanist than you think.

I also like how you confuse monotheism with Christianity (or rather, the Abrahamic religions with their branches Judaism, Christianity and Islam - and all their off-spring). One of the first monotheisms was actually Egyptian and it involved enforcing atheism with respect to all the other gods of the Egyptian pantheon: the enforcing of disbelief in (other) gods. It didn't work because it tried exactly that: create monotheism out of a polytheist community by telling them they should drop and reject their beliefs on pretty much everything (basically forced, specific, biased and limited atheism within a theist community without any scientific rationale).

That you don't understand that atheism is being abused by you and others (typically theists) to create groups of people that in reality don't exist as a group is your problem. Not mine.

You also fail to understand that the reason I linked the naturalism wiki is that NATURALISM IS SEPARATE FROM ATHEISM. There is no direct link between the two and one can actually be a theist, in some rare forms even a creationist (deist) and still have naturalistic tendencies because you'd argue no god is involved in the design of animals or the world and just created the universe and ignored it.

You say you listen to us, but you only listen to what you want to hear as you assume you're right.

Remember that pole and elephant claiming thing you made? The hypocrisy is that you do this:

1. An atheist doesn't believe in a god or gods
2. A skeptic doesn't believe in gods nor other supernatural claims without convincing argumentation
3. A methodological naturalist does not seek answers for the natural world in the supernatural
4. You conclude they are all part of the same thing called Atheism.

That's simply not true. They can be mutualy exclusive. Basically what you did is:

A cow is an animal, a bison is a similar animal, a buffalo is also a similar animal, all three are similar animals, therefore all three are a Cow.

(Note the capital letter).

That's where you miss the nail. All of those can have different overlaps too and the point where all three overlap might be large, but it's not all-encompassing, but certainly not a perfect match.

Otherwise there wouldn't be separate definitions and principles.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-01 at 08:29 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #893
therandomone
Sergeant

Oh where to start. You must have aced "missing the point"-class.

First off, you put words in my mouth. No, an atheist is not someone who "instantly dismisses". An atheist is someone who either concludes from the lack of observable evidence - so beyond and more specific than a skeptic who questions everything - that a god doesn't exist OR has no knowledge of something to believe in and therefore cannot believe in something. An agnostic has heard the argument, but didn't decide to disbelieve or believe yet.

SKEPTICS question everything. ATHEISTS may not question everything, they disbelieve in (specific) god(s). Period.

That is something you fundamentally do not wish to comprehend, because you're too attached to your definition that combines naturalism, humanism, atheism, skepticism and a few more things INTO ONE thing you call "Real" 'Atheism'.

You are unable to separate the definitions and confuse them continuously while pulling a "True Scotsman" (only those fitting YOUR definition are "real" and anyone else is a fraud). And don't want to realise this or admit this because your ego gets in your way.
Instead you argue that only your definition is right and this is the "real deal", everyone else has it wrong as long as they do not commit to your definition or they must be something else. You've made this type of argumentation a few times already and it's getting old.

To go back to what I said, I stated it matters WHEN this conclusion is drawn, before or after hearing the evidence and doing an analysis and evaluation. Because that makes the difference between an agnostic and an atheist stance to something: concluding. Again, demanding evidence is skepticism and can be applied to both agnostic and atheist thinking.

There certainly are overlaps, but the fine print means something else and you go way out of line with your definition and you try to make it more than what it is. I think the words you are actually looking for is secular humanism. A lot of people like you confuse this with Atheism as if Atheism is some sort of way of life. Hence why you keep bringing up you apply it to everything. Again, this is called SKEPTICISM.

The thing is, I and everyone else here but you and a couple of theists (!), try to change the actual definition of "atheist" (lack of belief) to "Atheist" (lack of belief + several philosophies on life, morals and ethics). You don't get that we stick to "atheist", because you want people to group around you, whether consciously or not.

You're probably more secular humanist than you think.

I also like how you confuse monotheism with Christianity (or rather, the Abrahamic religions with their branches Judaism, Christianity and Islam - and all their off-spring). One of the first monotheisms was actually Egyptian and it involved enforcing atheism with respect to all the other gods of the Egyptian pantheon: the enforcing of disbelief in (other) gods.

That you don't understand that atheism is being abused by you and others (typically theists) to create groups of people that in reality don't exist as a group is your problem. Not mine.

You also fail to understand that the reason I linked the naturalism wiki is that NATURALISM IS SEPARATE FROM ATHEISM. There is no direct link between the two and one can actually be a theist, in some rare forms even a creationist (deist) and still have naturalistic tendencies because you'd argue no god is involved in the design of animals or the world and just created the universe and ignored it.

You say you listen to us, but you only listen to what you want to hear as you assume you're right.
First off, don't tell me my arguments are getting old as you recycle through the same ones yourself.

What you don't realize is I get what you're saying I really do, its just wrong. Logically it doesnt stand up to reason. So before you say my ego is in my way,you might want to check yours.

Alright, if the term "real atheist" bothers you, I'll replace it with a synonym: a logically congruent atheist. I have not attached things erroneously to Atheism. These are just intrinsic properties that go along with being a logically congruent atheist. You can't believe in an afterlife and not believe in a god. It is logically inconsistent to not believe in one when there is the same evidence (or lack thereof) for both.They both operate under supernatural laws, the same supernatural laws you claim to not believe in when you call yourself an atheist. Therefore you either dont believe in an afterlife AND you dont believe in a god, or believe in both. Anything else is logically inconsistent.

Now if you want to claim these two opposing beliefs (there is no god, there is an afterlife) I guess I can't stop you but you won't be a logically congruent atheist, and therefore you'll be a hypocrite not an atheist.

Confuse monotheism with Christianity? Err, I don't know whos post you read that from but it sure as hell wasn't mine. I made a small joke about christianity, but I never said it IS monotheism.

Also I know of Akhenaten (actually remember doing a report on this fucker back in high school) and that he tried to change Egypt to monotheism which while he reigned it worked, but his successors quickly said fuck that, and went back to Egypts polytheist origins.

"That you don't understand that atheism is being abused by you and others (typically theists) to create groups of people that in reality don't exist as a group is your problem. Not mine. " I can't remark on this because I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, could you elaborate? It starts to make sense right until the end where you tell me something is my problem. And thats where you lose me, I don't have any problems. Me and atheism work well together, even if we dont always play nice with others.

"There is no direct link between the two and one can actually be a theist, in some rare forms even a creationist (deist) and still have naturalistic tendencies because you'd argue no god is involved in the design of animals or the world and just created the universe and ignored it."
No...no they cant. As stated before Naturalism commonly refers to the viewpoint that laws of nature (as opposed to supernatural ones) operate in the universe, and that nothing exists beyond the natural universe. So if this god created the universe, it is already violating one of the most basic principles of naturalism.

If I listened to only what I want to hear, I can guarantee you there is very little I would have read on here. I listen/read every word of your post (as I do with anyone who wishes to debate me) then evaluate the logic in the argument and then come to a rational conclusion. Its no fault of my own that most of your arguments (like many others) doesnt hold up to any sort of logical scrutiny.

EDIT:Ok, I read through that last part, and I want to ask you two questions. Why do you feel most people become atheists? And, why did you?

Last edited by therandomone; 2012-07-01 at 08:41 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 08:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #894
Figment
Lieutenant General

*sigh*

Will you stop argueing that skepticism and atheism are the same thing?

Also gods can exist within the domain of naturalism: if they exist, they are a natural phenomenon. "Supernatural" means out of the ordinary. Gods can be considered ordinary by some.

EDIT: as for why I'm an atheist on all counts? Because of my skepticism and lack of evidence in the contrary. However, I can distinguish between what is an atheist and what is a skeptic stance. We often argue that pink invisible unicorns might exist but that we apply the same logic to that on gods. Correct? Now, this is skepticism applied to unicorns and then applied to gods. The first application does not make us an atheist (it's an analogous argument), the second application does.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-01 at 08:59 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #895
therandomone
Sergeant

*sigh*

Will you stop argueing that skepticism and atheism are the same thing?

Also gods can exist within the domain of naturalism: if they exist, they are a natural phenomenon.
No they can't. Gods are by definition supernatural therefore that point is moot.

Ill stop arguing when you come to the realization being an atheist carries intrinsic properties with it to be considered logically consistent. Until then, I'll have to keep proving you wrong.

Last edited by therandomone; 2012-07-01 at 08:59 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 09:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #896
Figment
Lieutenant General

Yes they can. IF ghosts would exist (which may I remind you I do not believe), they'd be just as natural as gravity, buildings and horses. Nothing supernatural about it, just harder to observe and understand. But not unnatural.

Just because something has been defined as divine or supernatural as long as there is lacking evidence or understanding, means they'd actually be ill-defined and natural if they do exist!

It's a matter of categorization.

PS:

These are just intrinsic properties that go along with being a logically congruent atheist. You can't believe in an afterlife and not believe in a god. It is logically inconsistent to not believe in one when there is the same evidence (or lack thereof) for both.
Who ever claimed that atheists have to be consistent in their argumentation in order to be called atheist? Do you know of any theists that are consistent in order to be called theist?

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-01 at 09:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-01, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #897
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

It is entirely within the realm of possibility that the universe created itself out of its former self spontaneously. The trap most people fall in is the idea the universe can't always have existed in one form or another.

Old 2012-07-01, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #898
Vecha
First Sergeant

No, if thats not what I was talking about....try re-reading (or actually reading) what I have to say.

"When you accept that claim, you must accept the premises that constitute that claim. For instance, you cannot believe in Intelligent Design as it would breach the premise of a controlling entity."

That is what you said.

You said you cannot believe in ID as it would go against not believing a controlling entity.

I said they are not the same.

I did read.

You are just a rambling fool.
Old 2012-07-01, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #899
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Atheism is not the lack of belief in a controlling entity, anyway. If aliens begat life on Earth and guided its evolution or something, that would be intelligent design and it would not be at odds with atheism.

Also, yes, therandomone is incredibly fucking dumb and I don't think you guys ought to put so much effort into responding to him.
Old 2012-07-01, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #900
Vecha
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Atheism is not the lack of belief in a controlling entity, anyway. If aliens begat life on Earth and guided its evolution or something, that would be intelligent design and it would not be at odds with atheism.

Also, yes, therandomone is incredibly fucking dumb and I don't think you guys ought to put so much effort into responding to him.
Exactly. At least on the Alien part

I won't say he is dumb exactly...just has alot of nonsense to dish out.

Arguing with him is fun though. Even if he ignores 75% of what you say.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum