Religion - Page 66 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The only website you should go to when the Sony Network one is down.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-10, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #976
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: Religion

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Just so long as your picking and choosing the right Hindus to lump in as theists
Quite so!
Old 2012-07-11, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #977
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Haha, welcome to the thread. This has been brought up about 12 times at this point.
Brought up, and explained. Even if I could edit the poll, I wouldn't.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-07-11, 09:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #978
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Willful ignorance is so cute.
Old 2012-07-11, 09:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #979
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
Brought up, and explained. Even if I could edit the poll, I wouldn't.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!
Old 2012-07-11, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #980
MightyMan
Corporal

I'm supposed to be Jewish, but I'm an atheist.
Why? Well, mostly because I believe that if god WOULD exist, he would not let the Holocaust happen, ya know, million children died for no reason, and massively slaughtered elder people. You get the idea.
Christianity, well Jesus wanted his believers to live in peace, but they are killing each other all the time because of idiotic arguments.
Same goes for Islam, but without the peace part, and Buddhism seems like nothing more then a great way to be a waist of human resource.
Yeh, I don't like religion.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #981
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MightyMan View Post
I'm supposed to be Jewish, but I'm an atheist.
Why? Well, mostly because I believe that if god WOULD exist, he would not let the Holocaust happen, ya know, million children died for no reason, and massively slaughtered elder people. You get the idea.
Christianity, well Jesus wanted his believers to live in peace, but they are killing each other all the time because of idiotic arguments.
Same goes for Islam, but without the peace part, and Buddhism seems like nothing more then a great way to be a waist of human resource.
Yeh, I don't like religion.
Religion isn't the problem. If I remember the story correctly there was Abraham (the ***) and his two sons Isaac (Christianity) and Ishmael (Islam). I might have accidentally switched the two sons, but they are all so closely related. Did you know Jesus is quoted in the Qu'ran pretty damn often? Or that during the Middle ages Muhammad laid down a code of ethics for warfare that involved feeding your fallen enemies instead of putting their heads on pikes or playing soccer with it like the Christians.

I hate narrow minded people who think Islam is just a violent religion. Have you even read the Qu'ran or a transalation? If not shut the fuck up, you have no idea what youre talking about. Saying all Muslims are terrorist would be like saying all Christians are crazy right wing evangelicals. And you have to be a fucking idiot to think that.
Also if god did exist, the reason he let it happen is because as its said in most religious texts he gave us free will.

I'm a die hard atheist as you could tell just looking through this thread. But I still wont stand for when someone spouts off bullshit about religion.

I personally agree with the philosophies of most religions, but the problem doesn't lie with them, it lies with man.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #982
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Ignoring for a second, random, that you point out that islam isn't a violent religion because the Qu'ran doesn't espouse violence (a false statement, it does), you mentioned 'free will' which I find to be a much, much more interesting conversation.

If you'll entertain me, I would like to give you the first go. Can you explain to me how the concept of free will coincides with an omnipotent god?
Old 2012-07-11, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #983
MightyMan
Corporal

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
Religion isn't the problem. If I remember the story correctly there was Abraham (the ***) and his two sons Isaac (Christianity) and Ishmael (Islam). I might have accidentally switched the two sons, but they are all so closely related. Did you know Jesus is quoted in the Qu'ran pretty damn often? Or that during the Middle ages Muhammad laid down a code of ethics for warfare that involved feeding your fallen enemies instead of putting their heads on pikes or playing soccer with it like the Christians.

I hate narrow minded people who think Islam is just a violent religion. Have you even read the Qu'ran or a transalation? If not shut the fuck up, you have no idea what youre talking about. Saying all Muslims are terrorist would be like saying all Christians are crazy right wing evangelicals. And you have to be a fucking idiot to think that.
Also if god did exist, the reason he let it happen is because as its said in most religious texts he gave us free will.

I'm a die hard atheist as you could tell just looking through this thread. But I still wont stand for when someone spouts off bullshit about religion.

I personally agree with the philosophies of most religions, but the problem doesn't lie with them, it lies with man.
I don't know, either you did not read my reply and pull those things out of your ass, or you are just a very bad troll.
Now calm down, and think about what you just did.
Old 2012-07-11, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #984
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Oh yay, we're temporarily off of the "define this or that" part of the discussion, and on to Islam!

I find it interesting how all religions are pretty full of bullshit, but that the different scriptures and teachings that each one is founded on will drastically change the flavor of that bullshit.

Even Buddhism has sparked conflict throughout history, but I think most people would agree with me that they are pretty light offenders on the violence front, relatively speaking.

Christianity definitely has led to a lot of atrocities throughout history, but I find it interesting how far it has come in the last few hundred years. Most of this is due to the culture changing and the religion being forced to adapt, but I don't think those cultural changes would have happened as much if the new testament were even more violent and vitriolic.

Islam is undoubtedly the worst offender of violence and outdated behavior among the major religions. If you actually read the Qur'an and interpret it appropriately based on tradition and chronological order, it's a dogma that got more and more violent throughout Muhammad's lifetime. I strongly believe that the violence found in Islamic scripture has played a large part in modern Islam being so violent.

Now mind you, there are plenty of peaceful muslims, I'm not just making a blanket statement, but it is undoubtedly a more violent religion than any other major religion at this time in history, both in it's scriptures as well as in the number and extremeness of the violent acts committed in its name.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #985
therandomone
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ItsTheSheppy View Post
Ignoring for a second, random, that you point out that islam isn't a violent religion because the Qu'ran doesn't espouse violence (a false statement, it does), you mentioned 'free will' which I find to be a much, much more interesting conversation.

If you'll entertain me, I would like to give you the first go. Can you explain to me how the concept of free will coincides with an omnipotent god?
I'm not usually on this side of the debate, but I'll give it my best go. Though first we have to really define free will since depending on your definition the has the ability to determine the outcome in the argument.

I don't know, either you did not read my reply and pull those things out of your ass, or you are just a very bad troll.
Now calm down, and think about what you just did.
Muhammad laid out some pretty progressive rules of warfare, and medieval Muslims out-niced the Christians in battle by a landslide. Especially since Muhammad personally issued "a distinct code of conduct among Islamic warriors" that included:

No killing of women, children or innocents -- these might include hermits, monks or other religious leaders who were deemed noncombatants;

No wanton killing of livestock or other animals;

No burning or destruction of trees and orchards; and

No destruction of wells.

In short, Muhammad wanted his armies to fight like freaking hippies. During the fucking Dark Ages. And they did.

But the biggest territorial gains were made after Muhammad's death, right? Maybe that was when Islam earned its bloodthirsty reputation? Not exactly. His successor codified the existing rules and made them the standard for his army. Which probably explains why the Muslim army conquering Europe "exhibited a degree of toleration which puts many Christian nations to shame," in the words of one expert.

So while Christian crusaders were beheading enemies and tossing their heads like oversized hacky sacks, their Muslim counterparts had a whole honor code that led them to feed the armies of their defeated enemies.

During the period the the Western world thinks of as the Dark Ages, when Europeans were busy murdering each other over matters of religion and superstition, Islam was cool as a cucumber. At the time, Islamic regions were actually more accepting of Judaism and Christianity than most of the Christian world was of Judaism and other types of Christianity. Long before the Italian Renaissance, the Islamic Empire realized the Greeks and Romans had been on to something with this book learning stuff, and used this realization to revolutionize astronomy, literature, physics, philosophy and architecture. Still bored, they went ahead and invented algebra and modern medicine too.

The antiquated practices many Westerners associate with modern Islam are actually a relatively recent development. Reporting from Saudi Arabia for The New Yorker, Lawrence Wright interviewed an older Saudi man who reminisced about the good old days when men and women used to be able to celebrate weddings together. While it might seem weird to Westerners used to hearing stories of ankle length hemlines following the words "Back in my day... ," in the Middle East, when grandparents miss the good old days, they're often talking about a place that was far less up its own ass.

It wasn't until the 1950s that fundamentalist Islam started gaining influence, and outdated, dying traditions like the veil saw a spike in popularity. That's when followers of a fringe 18th century scholar Mohammed Al Wahab began to take Islam back to basics, which in this case meant an imaginary past where women were treated like shit and all the pesky "progress" of the last 1400 years never happened. During his lifetime, Wahab was taken about as seriously as Pat Robertson is taken today in the West. But in the 1950s, Wahabi Muslim thinkers like Sayyid Qutb started to urge total separation between Islam and the West, arguing that the outside world had "nothing else to give humanity."

Qutb and his fundamentalist contemporaries inspired a new generation of radical thinkers, who took this "fuck the West" mentality a few steps further, resulting in a Middle East that is far less progressive than the Dark Ages they're supposedly stuck in.

See, as tempting as it might be to divide history into the bad guys and the good guys, civilizations tend to evolve more like the Batman franchise, kicking ass part of the time, and reaching unspeakable, ass backwards lows that would embarrass their ancestors at others. Muslim people were doing algebra while we were burning women for having funny birthmarks on their face. They just happen to be going through their Batman and Robin phase.

Also:
http://www.forceministries.com/
http://www.indonesiamatters.com/1300/wali-songo/ This article is about the Walisongo Massacre.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Does that make all Christians terrorists? No. Just like majority of Muslims arent terrorists.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #986
MightyMan
Corporal

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
I'm not usually on this side of the debate, but I'll give it my best go. Though first we have to really define free will since depending on your definition the has the ability to determine the outcome in the argument.

Muhammad laid out some pretty progressive rules of warfare, and medieval Muslims out-niced the Christians in battle by a landslide. Especially since Muhammad personally issued "a distinct code of conduct among Islamic warriors" that included:

No killing of women, children or innocents -- these might include hermits, monks or other religious leaders who were deemed noncombatants;

No wanton killing of livestock or other animals;

No burning or destruction of trees and orchards; and

No destruction of wells.

In short, Muhammad wanted his armies to fight like freaking hippies. During the fucking Dark Ages. And they did.

But the biggest territorial gains were made after Muhammad's death, right? Maybe that was when Islam earned its bloodthirsty reputation? Not exactly. His successor codified the existing rules and made them the standard for his army. Which probably explains why the Muslim army conquering Europe "exhibited a degree of toleration which puts many Christian nations to shame," in the words of one expert.

So while Christian crusaders were beheading enemies and tossing their heads like oversized hacky sacks, their Muslim counterparts had a whole honor code that led them to feed the armies of their defeated enemies.

During the period the the Western world thinks of as the Dark Ages, when Europeans were busy murdering each other over matters of religion and superstition, Islam was cool as a cucumber. At the time, Islamic regions were actually more accepting of Judaism and Christianity than most of the Christian world was of Judaism and other types of Christianity. Long before the Italian Renaissance, the Islamic Empire realized the Greeks and Romans had been on to something with this book learning stuff, and used this realization to revolutionize astronomy, literature, physics, philosophy and architecture. Still bored, they went ahead and invented algebra and modern medicine too.

The antiquated practices many Westerners associate with modern Islam are actually a relatively recent development. Reporting from Saudi Arabia for The New Yorker, Lawrence Wright interviewed an older Saudi man who reminisced about the good old days when men and women used to be able to celebrate weddings together. While it might seem weird to Westerners used to hearing stories of ankle length hemlines following the words "Back in my day... ," in the Middle East, when grandparents miss the good old days, they're often talking about a place that was far less up its own ass.

It wasn't until the 1950s that fundamentalist Islam started gaining influence, and outdated, dying traditions like the veil saw a spike in popularity. That's when followers of a fringe 18th century scholar Mohammed Al Wahab began to take Islam back to basics, which in this case meant an imaginary past where women were treated like shit and all the pesky "progress" of the last 1400 years never happened. During his lifetime, Wahab was taken about as seriously as Pat Robertson is taken today in the West. But in the 1950s, Wahabi Muslim thinkers like Sayyid Qutb started to urge total separation between Islam and the West, arguing that the outside world had "nothing else to give humanity."

Qutb and his fundamentalist contemporaries inspired a new generation of radical thinkers, who took this "fuck the West" mentality a few steps further, resulting in a Middle East that is far less progressive than the Dark Ages they're supposedly stuck in.

See, as tempting as it might be to divide history into the bad guys and the good guys, civilizations tend to evolve more like the Batman franchise, kicking ass part of the time, and reaching unspeakable, ass backwards lows that would embarrass their ancestors at others. Muslim people were doing algebra while we were burning women for having funny birthmarks on their face. They just happen to be going through their Batman and Robin phase.

Also:
http://www.forceministries.com/
http://www.indonesiamatters.com/1300/wali-songo/ This article is about the Walisongo Massacre.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism

Does that make all Christians terrorists? No. Just like majority of Muslims arent terrorists.
OMFG
I was not talking about Muhammad in any point of my reply. What I said is that Muslims (themselves) are killing each other because stupid disputes about religion. Also, Muhammad wanted war, but he also never wanted peace, unlike Jesus.

Last edited by MightyMan; 2012-07-12 at 03:33 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #987
therandomone
Sergeant

OMFG
I was not talking about Muhammad in any point of my reply. What I said is that Muslims (themselves) are killing each other because stupid disputes about religion. Also, Muhammad wanted war, but he also never wanted peace, unlike Jesus.
Yes, and Im calling you a fucking moron for knowing nothing about Islam and making wild generalizations about the Muslim people based off an incredibly small group of them. Like I've been saying, you've got to be pretty fucking stupid to think the things you do.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #988
MightyMan
Corporal

So I don;t know how did this happen, but my reply got fucked up. Let me repair it:
OMFG
I was not talking about Muhammad at any point of my reply. What I said is that Muslims (themselves) are killing each other because stupid disputes about religion. Also, Muhammad DID NOT want war, but he also never wanted peace, unlike Jesus.
Now lets see: 1. Muhammad led his followers to wars against those who were not Islamic. Jesus did not. OMFG! I just just broke logic.
2. What ever you said is not even on the topic of my reply and I never meant even half the things you wrote, thus calling me a moron is meaningless, and you can shove the rest of you anger up your ass, you silly man.
Old 2012-07-12, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #989
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Well Muhammad did want peace at one point, but only back before he had any real power. Then as his popularity and number of followers grew, he turned into a warlord, and a pretty nasty dude. Not terribly nasty compared to the standards of his day, but compared to today he's far from an ideal role model.

But that's just it. Muhammad IS a role model, and his later teachings supersede his earlier, more peaceful and tolerant teachings. It would be all well and good if more Muslims took the rational route and cherry picked only the best, most positive bits from the Qur'an, but it certainly doesn't help that you have the man himself preaching such violence. As fucked up as parts of the bible are and as much as it has been used to perpetuate violence, at least you actually have to work a bit to distill the bible into a purely violent message and ignore all of the more positive teachings. With the Qur'an, the only thing you need to do to set aside the positive bits and focus on the warlike shit is to read it as it was meant to be read.

I think that in some ways, we can blame science, and the various growing non religious movements, for the more recent problems with Christianity and Islam.

I believe that fundamentalism is the beginning of the end for them. It's the first death cry of the major religions as they realize that they won't be able to just adapt and overcome anymore. More and more people are giving up on their bullshit, so the relgions are consolidating.

Nobody used to refer to themselves primarily as a "Christian." You were Catholic, or Protestant, or Lutheran, etc. But now, pretty much everyone but Catholics will primarily identify themselves as being Christian. I think it's because when divided, the non religious start being a numerical threat, but united under one single banner, Christians still feel safe in the fact that there are a majority of other people who also buy into the same bullshit.

But fundamentalism, while dangerous in Christianity, is a nightmare in Islam, because fundamentalism requires taking everything in these books as literal fact. Unfortunately for Islam, following every scripture to the letter results in the cancer we see spreading across the middle eastern world and beyond.

I think the biggest problem that I have with modern Islam is that, while there are a majority of non violent Muslims, none of the non violent ones ever directly speak out against the violent. They will skirt around the issue and apologize, and say how horrible it was that such a violent thing happened, but Muslims in general will not say something simple and to the point like "That man who blew himself up was wrong, and a disgrace to Islam."

It's because modern Muslim culture is in a constant state of Jihad, it's just that not all of them actively partake in or agree with the violence. But Jihad is struggle, and every good Muslim on the planet is in a struggle against the non-believers, to convert them or subjugate them through culture, law, or violence.

You don't hear Muslims condemning Islamic terrorists because they think that those terrorists are doing a good thing, even if they may personally think it's the wrong way of going about it.

I am not at all a big fan of either Christianity or Islam, but while both religions have had their high points and low points historically, I strongly believe that Islam is the bigger of the two as far as threats to peace and global stability today, and I think we can trace it right back to the combination of fundamentalism, and the violent words found in the Qur'an itself.

If there were a huge cultural shift in the Islamic world, and suddenly you had tons of peaceful Muslims actively decrying the violent groups, I think my attitude would significantly improve towards them. I'd still probably dislike them as much as I like any religion in general, but I'd feel less negativity towards the general Islamic populace, and I would no longer hold them culpable for the terrorist acts.

But as long as a majority of Muslims keep being shitty about it and acting like terrorism isn't the rank shit that it is, fuck em. Guilt by association.

It's just like how the entirety of the catholic church is to blame when they higher ups cover up pedophilia. It doesn't mean every catholic is a pedophile, but the entire organization is accountable when they don't actively speak out against that shit, and whole those criminals accountable.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #990
therandomone
Sergeant

So I don;t know how did this happen, but my reply got fucked up. Let me repair it:
OMFG
I was not talking about Muhammad at any point of my reply. What I said is that Muslims (themselves) are killing each other because stupid disputes about religion. Also, Muhammad DID NOT want war, but he also never wanted peace, unlike Jesus.
Now lets see: 1. Muhammad led his followers to wars against those who were not Islamic. Jesus did not. OMFG! I just just broke logic.
2. What ever you said is not even on the topic of my reply and I never meant even half the things you wrote, thus calling me a moron is meaningless, and you can shove the rest of you anger up your ass, you silly man.
Errr....he did want peace. Also, not sure where you got the idea he led wars against those who were not Islamic.....

Islam never tolerates unprovoked aggression from its own side; Muslims are commanded in the Qur'an not to begin hostilities, embark on any act of aggression, violate the rights of others, or harm the innocent. Even hurting or destroying animals or trees is forbidden. War is waged only to defend the religious community against oppression and persecution, because the Qur'an says that "persecution is worse than slaughter" and "let there be no hostility except to those who practice oppression" (Qur'an 2:190-193). Therefore, if non-Muslims are peaceful or indifferent to Islam, there is no justified reason to declare war on them.

The Qur'an describes those people who are permitted to fight:

"They are those who have been expelled from their homes
in defiance of right, for no cause except that they say,
'Our Lord is Allah.'
Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another,
there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches,
synagogues, and mosques, in which the name of God is commemorated
in abundant measure..."
-Qur'an 22:40

Note that the verse specifically commands the protection of all houses of worship. Finally, the Qur'an also says, "Let there be no compulsion in religion" (2:256). Forcing someone at the point of a sword to choose death or Islam is an idea that is foreign to Islam in spirit and in historical practice. There is absolutely no question of waging a "holy war" to "spread the faith" and compel people to embrace Islam; that would be an unholy war and the people's forced conversions would not be sincere.

So once again, that's why I call you an idiot for speaking on something you know nothing about.
Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Everything
Mustafa Mashhur, General Guide, Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt; Qazi Hussain Ahmed, Ameer, Jamaat-e-Islami Pakistan, Pakistan; Muti Rahman Nizami, Ameer, Jamaat-e-Islami Bangladesh, Bangladesh; Shaykh Ahmad Yassin, Founder, Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas), Palestine; Rashid Ghannoushi, President, Nahda Renaissance Movement, Tunisia; Fazil Nour, President, PAS – Parti Islam SeMalaysia, Malaysia; and 40 other Muslim scholars and politicians:
“The undersigned, leaders of Islamic movements, are horrified by the events of Tuesday 11 September 2001 in the United States which resulted in massive killing, destruction and attack on innocent lives. We express our deepest sympathies and sorrow. We condemn, in the strongest terms, the incidents, which are against all human and Islamic norms. This is grounded in the Noble Laws of Islam which forbid all forms of attacks on innocents. God Almighty says in the Holy Qur’an: ‘No bearer of burdens can bear the burden of another’ (Surah al-Isra 17:15).”
MSANews, September 14, 2001 (via archive.org).
Arabic original in al-Quds al-Arabi (London), September 14, 2001, p. 2.

Shaykh Yusuf Qaradawi, Qatar; Tariq Bishri, Egypt; Muhammad S. Awwa, Egypt; Fahmi Huwaydi, Egypt; Haytham Khayyat, Syria; Shaykh Taha Jabir al-Alwani, U.S.:
“All Muslims ought to be united against all those who terrorize the innocents, and those who permit the killing of non-combatants without a justifiable reason. Islam has declared the spilling of blood and the destruction of property as absolute prohibitions until the Day of Judgment. … [It is] necessary to apprehend the true perpetrators of these crimes, as well as those who aid and abet them through incitement, financing or other support. They must be brought to justice in an impartial court of law and [punished] appropriately. … [It is] a duty of Muslims to participate in this effort with all possible means.”
Statement of September 27, 2001.

‘Abdulaziz bin ‘Abdallah Al-Ashaykh, chief mufti of Saudi Arabia:
“Firstly: the recent developments in the United States including hijacking planes, terrorizing innocent people and shedding blood, constitute a form of injustice that cannot be tolerated by Islam, which views them as gross crimes and sinful acts. Secondly: any Muslim who is aware of the teachings of his religion and who adheres to the directives of the Holy Qur’an and the sunnah (the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad) will never involve himself in such acts, because they will invoke the anger of God Almighty and lead to harm and corruption on earth.”
Statement of September 15, 2001 (via archive.org).

‘Abdulaziz bin ‘Abdallah Al-Ashaykh, chief mufti of Saudi Arabia:
“You must know Islam’s firm position against all these terrible crimes. The world must know that Islam is a religion of peace and mercy and goodness; it is a religion of justice and guidance…Islam has forbidden violence in all its forms. It forbids the hijacking airplanes, ships and other means of transport, and it forbids all acts that undermine the security of the innocent.”
Hajj sermon of February 2, 2004, in “Public Statements by Senior Saudi Officials Condemning Extremism and Promoting Moderation,” May 2004, page 10 (via archive.org).

Shaykh Muhammad bin ‘Abdallah al-Sabil, member of the Council of Senior Religious Scholars, Saudi Arabia:
“Any attack on innocent people is unlawful and contrary to shari’a (Islamic law). … Muslims must safeguard the lives, honor and property of Christians and ****. Attacking them contradicts shari’a.”
Agence France Presse, December 4, 2001

57 leaders of North American Islamic organizations, 77 intellectuals, and dozens of concerned citizens:
“As American Muslims and scholars of Islam, we wish to restate our conviction that peace and justice constitute the basic principles of the Muslim faith. We wish again to state unequivocally that neither the al-Qaeda organization nor Usama bin Laden represents Islam or reflects Muslim beliefs and practice. Rather, groups like al-Qaeda have misused and abused Islam in order to fit their own radical and indeed anti-Islamic agenda. Usama bin Laden and al-Qaeda’s actions are criminal, misguided and counter to the true teachings of Islam.”
Statement Rejecting Terrorism, September 9, 2002 (via archive.org).

American Muslim Political Coordination Council:
“American Muslims utterly condemn what are apparently vicious and cowardly acts of terrorism against innocent civilians. We join with all Americans in calling for the swift apprehension and punishment of the perpetrators. No political cause could ever be assisted by such immoral acts.”
Full-page ad in The Washington Post, September 16, 2001.

Dr. Agha Saeed, National Chair of the American Muslim Alliance:
“These attacks are against both divine and human laws and we condemn them in the strongest terms. The Muslim Americans join the nation in calling for swift apprehension and stiff punishment of the perpetrators, and offer our sympathies to the victims and their families.”
September 11, 2001 (via archive.org).

Hamza Yusuf, American Muslim leader:
“Religious zealots of any creed are defeated people who lash out in desperation, and they often do horrific things. And if these people [who committed murder on September 11] indeed are Arabs, Muslims, they’re obviously very sick people and I can’t even look at it in religious terms. It’s politics, tragic politics. There’s no Islamic justification for any of it. … You can’t kill innocent people. There’s no Islamic declaration of war against the United States. I think every Muslim country except Afghanistan has an embassy in this country. And in Islam, a country where you have embassies is not considered a belligerent country. In Islam, the only wars that are permitted are between armies and they should engage on battlefields and engage nobly. The Prophet Muhammad said, “Do not kill women or children or non-combatants and do not kill old people or religious people,” and he mentioned priests, nuns and rabbis. And he said, “Do not cut down fruit-bearing trees and do not poison the wells of your enemies.” The Hadith, the sayings of the Prophet, say that no one can punish with fire except the lord of fire. It’s prohibited to burn anyone in Islam as a punishment. No one can grant these attackers any legitimacy. It was evil.”
San Jose Mercury News, September 15, 2001 (via archive.org).

Nuh Ha Mim Keller, American Muslim author:
“Muslims have nothing to be ashamed of, and nothing to hide, and should simply tell people what their scholars and religious leaders have always said: first, that the Wahhabi sect has nothing to do with orthodox Islam, for its lack of tolerance is a perversion of traditional values; and second, that killing civilians is wrong and immoral.”
“Making the World Safe for Terrorism,” September 30, 2001 (via archive.org).

Yusuf Islam (formerly Cat Stevens), prominent British Muslim:
“I wish to express my heartfelt horror at the indiscriminate terrorist attacks committed against innocent people of the United States yesterday. While it is still not clear who carried out the attack, it must be stated that no right thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action: the Qur’an equates the murder of one innocent person with the murder of the whole of humanity. We pray for the families of all those who lost their lives in this unthinkable act of violence as well as all those injured; I hope to reflect the feelings of all Muslims and people around the world whose sympathies go out to the victims at this sorrowful moment.”
[On singing an a cappella version of "Peace Train" for the Concert for New York City:] “After the tragedy, my heart was heavy with sadness and shock, and I was determined to help in some way. Organizers asked me to take part in a message for tolerance and sing ‘Peace Train.’ Of course, I agreed. … As a Muslim from the West, it is important to me to let people know that these acts of mass murder have nothing to do with Islam and the beliefs of Muslims.”
Press release of September 13, 2001 (via archive.org), and interview of October 22, 2001 (via archive.org).

Muslims Against Terrorism, a U.S.-based organization:
“As Muslims, we condemn terrorism in all its forms and manifestations. Ours is a religion of peace. We are sick and tired of extremists dictating the public face of Islam.”
“About us” (via archive.org). This statement was replaced by a new statement in favor of peace by the group’s successor organization, Muslim Voices for Peace.

Abdulaziz Sachedina, professor of religious studies, University of Virginia:
“New York was grieving. Sorrow covered the horizons. The pain of separation and of missing family members, neighbors, citizens, humans could be felt in every corner of the country. That day was my personal day of “jihad” (“struggle”) — jihad with my pride and my identity as a Muslim. This is the true meaning of jihad — “struggle with one’s own ego and false pride.” I don’t ever recall that I had prayed so earnestly to God to spare attribution of such madness that was unleashed upon New York and Washington to the Muslims. I felt the pain and, perhaps for the first time in my entire life, I felt embarrassed at the thought that it could very well be my fellow Muslims who had committed this horrendous act of terrorism. How could these terrorists invoke God’s mercifulness and compassion when they had, through their evil act, put to shame the entire history of this great religion and its culture of toleration?”
“Where Was God on September 11?” (via archive.org).

Ali Khan, professor of law, Washburn University School of Law, Topeka, Kansas:
“To the most learned in the text of the Quran, these verses must be read in the context of many other verses that stipulate the Islamic law of war—a war that the Islamic leader must declare after due consultation with advisers. For the less learned, however, these verses may provide the motivation and even the plot for a merciless strike against a self-chosen enemy.”
“Attack on America: An Islamic Perspective,” September 17, 2001.

Muqtedar Khan, then an assistant professor of political science, Adrian College, Michigan:
“What happened on September 11th in New York and Washington DC will forever remain a horrible scar on the history of Islam and humanity. No matter how much we condemn it, and point to the Quran and the Sunnah to argue that Islam forbids the killing of innocent people, the fact remains that the perpetrators of this crime against humanity have indicated that their actions are sanctioned by Islamic values. The fact that even now several Muslim scholars and thousands of Muslims defend the accused is indicative that not all Muslims believe that the attacks are unIslamic. This is truly sad. … If anywhere in your hearts there is any sympathy or understanding with those who committed this act, I invite you to ask yourself this question, would Muhammad (pbuh) sanction such an act? While encouraging Muslims to struggle against injustice (Al Quran 4:135), Allah also imposes strict rules of engagement. He says in unequivocal terms that to kill an innocent being is like killing entire humanity (Al Quran 5:32). He also encourages Muslims to forgive **** and Christians if they have committed injustices against us (Al Quran 2:109, 3:159, 5:85).”
“A Memo to American Muslims,” October 5, 2001.

Dr. Alaa Al-Yousuf, Bahraini economist and political activist:
“On Friday, 14 September [the first Friday prayers after 11 September], almost the whole world expressed its condemnation of the crime and its grief for the bereaved families of the victims. Those who abstained or, even worse, rejoiced, will have joined the terrorists, not in the murder, but in adding to the incalculable damage on the other victims of the atrocity, namely, Islam as a faith, Muslims and Arabs as peoples, and possibly the Palestinian cause. The terrorists and their apologists managed to sully Islam as a faith both in the eyes of many Muslims and non-Muslims alike.”
Interview with the International Forum for Islamic Dialogue, London (via archive.org).

Dr. S. Parvez Manzoor, Swedish-based Muslim author:
“If these acts of terror indeed have been perpetrated by Muslim radicals or fundamentalists, they have reaped nothing but eternal damnation, shame and ignominy. For nothing, absolutely nothing, could remotely be advanced as an excuse for these barbaric acts. They represent a total negation of Islamic values, an utter disregard of our fiqhi tradition, and a slap in the face of the Ummah. They are in total contrast to what Islamic reason, compassion and faith stand for. Even from the more mundane criteria of common good, the maslaha of the jurists, these acts are treasonous and suicidal. Islamic faith has been so callously and casually sacrificed at the altar of politics, a home-grown politics of parochial causes, primeval passions, self-endorsing piety and messianic terror.”
Interview with the International Forum for Islamic Dialogue, London (via archive.org).

http://kurzman.unc.edu/islamic-state...nst-terrorism/
You were saying what now? I thought so.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum