SmedBlog: eSports Support - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: will it blend?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-12, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
super pretendo
First Sergeant

Re: SmedBlog: eSports Support

wait, so you are saying we should removed unlocked items from the game? That doesn't sound fun at all
Old 2012-08-12, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
wait, so you are saying we should removed unlocked items from the game? That doesn't sound fun at all
If you are an e-sportsman inside the competition area than - yes. BF2 competitive players were finding it very fun.

EDIT: If you want something more persistant, my signature is the way to go. But that definitely isn't the thing you liked.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-08-12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
Chess is a sport
I hate the bastardization of language.

a Sport is a TYPE of game. Just like video games, and board games are other types.

I don't know why people find it necessary to call something something that it is not but they do. And then they get pissy and make a fuss outta it and get someone to change a definition somewhere.

Chess is a board game, as football or running are sports.

If Chess is a Sport, then wtf are football and running?

Sports simply = physical games/competitions.

I wish Video Games got a cooler word to describe their category of games too, but that doesn't mean we should latch onto the only categories name that doesn't include 'game' in it's nomenclature simply because we want it to sound more serious.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-12 at 05:52 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RoninOni View Post

a Sport is a TYPE of game. Just like video games, and board games are other types.

I don't know why people find it necessary to call something something that it is not but they do. And then they get pissy and make a fuss outta it and get someone to change a definition somewhere.

I wish Video Games got a cooler word to describe their category of games too, but that doesn't mean we should latch onto the only categories name that doesn't include 'game' in it's nomenclature simply because we want it to sound more serious.
Do you consider bobsleigh a sport?

EDIT: "...eigh", stupid night.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-08-12 at 05:59 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
Whiteknight
Private

Originally Posted by super pretendo View Post
I'm not for adding competition to planetside, because competition implies sterilizing the game for the sake of pre-matched arena balance. I am for it being a fun, persistent game
If they were to do an 'E-sport' version of the game for competition, they would need to either unlock everything and have it on a separate server where all players involved in it had all of the upgrades/Certs/weapons available, or set it as a baseline 0, with nothing unlocked available. The more likely of the two is setting it up with Everything unlocked/available -- maximum carnage, minimum fuss.

Or, they could just do it between two teams with two bases, and leave it on the server, and let everyone else see how much they could do to mess with one side or the other and influence the outcome to favor their own side.... which would sound like fun.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Do you consider bobsleigh a sport?

EDIT: "...eigh", stupid night.
You're trying to come up with exceptions but the issue is the general definition.

Bobsledding is certainly more Sport than video game I'd say....
Old 2012-08-12, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

You are both right and wrong.

You see Esports tend to be dumbed down video games where most of the fun as well as the mental side is taken out of the game (or never existed in the first place) and you are mainly left with the "physical skill" side of the game.

Thro that's another term that has been bastardized to make Esports seem better. "Dumbed down" When I say dumbed down I don't mean made less skillfull I mean the REAL term being made to cater to people with less brains and more brawn or "muscle memory" as it were.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2012-08-12 at 06:15 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
Stardouser
Colonel

E-sports would have to be standardized. Removing unlocks from the e-sport arena would be absolutely necessary and does not in any way constitute removing unlocks from the main game. And, it's also a STRONG clue to the fact that only people who would intend to actually compete would use these arenas, the average player would not spend time playing casually in such arenas with no unlocks or stats.

And yes, it is true that e-sports is pretty much the removal of everything but the physical skill part. Could we someday see an e-sports league where we have 8 teams of 200 players each fighting a 6 hour war free for all? Or even 8 teams of 200 each fighting one team vs one team battles in a double elimination format. which would allow for the preservation of some strategical war aspects? The key is that you want the 200 players to be the same in each battle, and that's a big logistical concern.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-08-12 at 06:20 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #174
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Sport is all forms of competitive physical activity which,[1] through casual or organised participation, aim to use, maintain or improve physical ability and provide entertainment to participants

I know most of you have never competed on a level other than casual, but video games at their top level are very physical. Just look at the people who play SC2 and how they have to maintain their APM. It isn't something that you just "do". It requires a lot of physical training and devotion to become a top competitor in something.

E-sports is a thing. If you don't like it, gtfo.
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-08-12, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #175
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

You're trying to come up with exceptions but the issue is the general definition.

Bobsledding is certainly more Sport than video game I'd say....
Damn, you pulled it together...

But seriously, eSport is only eSport after it gets broadcasted and advertised. At any other given time it is competitive play. Pretty much like street football with your friends and neighbours.

The problem here is a matter of perception. If "esports" in planetside 2 would be first advertised as "competitive content/modes" it wouldn't have recieved so much negative responses.

Old 2012-08-12, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Oh I agree with that.

I think the concept of "Planetside TV" is far more enticing than "Planetside eSports"

And I do understand that eSports IS a new term, and it does specifically refer to broadcasted competitive play. And I do even understand that it takes a level of dedication to achieve that level, trust me I do.

I just don't like the relationship to sports, original sports, in the term. I think it was a poor choice but it picked up in the media hype. That's all I'm saying.

Oh, and I also think Planetside is a horrible platform for small competitive arena gameplay... but Smedley already confirmed that's not the plan. At most they'll have instanced large scale outfit on outfit battles, but honestly, with how hard I've seen it is to even trying to get regular 12v12 matches going, I don't have much faith in the idea.... and the size requirement means anyone not in one of these outfits would just be playing the real planetside with the rest of us, so I don't think it would really hurt anything, and it might even succeed which could actually be cool... though I'd still rather see those outfits winning real territory for that 3 hours =\
Old 2012-08-12, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

i can only speculate , but they way esl has done it in the past is to implement their own rules. common pool weapons only, limited maxes,medics, identical team builds, no certs or mods.

the idea is the make it as balanced as possible. let skill determine the winner.
looking forward to this very much. saw it coming along time ago
Old 2012-08-12, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
FortySe7en
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
The problem here is a matter of perception. If "esports" in planetside 2 would be first advertised as "competitive content/modes" it wouldn't have recieved so much negative responses.
Not true at all. And just because something is harder doesn't make it more of a sport. I would argue that it is much harder to try and predict where your opponent is headed and to re-adjust your strategy than it is to go down a hill made of ice.

Esports isn't just something that is broadcasted. Just like the Olympics aren't only about track and field.

Esports is becoming more of an organization. You have people like Day9, Cryptic, TotalBiscuit, and many others who are representations of a generation of gamers. Esports is anything that you can play on a competitive level. League of Legends, Battlefield, Street Fighter, Guitar Hero, etc...

Granted LoL is more famous in the E-sports franchise, it doesn't take away from the competition of the others in their respective fields.

Electronic sports (eSports) comprises the competitive play of video games. Other terms include competitive gaming, professional gaming, e-sport, and cybersport. The most common video game genres associated with electronic sports are real-time strategy (RTS), fighting, first-person shooter (FPS), massively-multiplayer online (MMOG), and racing. Games are played competitively at amateur, semi-professional and professional levels, and some games have organized competition in the form of leagues and tournaments. Events such as Major League Gaming (MLG), Global Starcraft II League (GSL), World Cyber Games (WCG), Dreamhack, and Intel Extreme Masters provide both real-time casting of streamed games, and cash prizes to the winners.

They've already stated on twitter that they have a way for people to make money, and to broadcast. Hence, PS2 (in the eyes of developers) is coming out of the box as a competitive franchise.

Point and case.
Watch as I play various FPS titles every night from 9-12 EST
Old 2012-08-12, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #179
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by FortySe7en View Post
You didn't really track "NewSith-super pretendo" argument, did you?

Old 2012-08-12, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #180
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Oh I agree with that.

I think the concept of "Planetside TV" is far more enticing than "Planetside eSports"

I just don't like the relationship to sports, original sports, in the term. I think it was a poor choice but it picked up in the media hype. That's all I'm saying.
If I was going to watch something I too would much watch rather players playing the real planetside instead of watching a small match of mostly handicapped people with high reflexs derp around.

When I think of watching video games I like to think of it like this.

A non e-sport would be a awesome game of airsoft or paintball, where weather was random and the mental thinking of the players and the tricks they pulled was as important or more then their aim.

E-sports however is like watching a group of dumbass's running around a field for 10 minutes.

Last edited by Forsaken One; 2012-08-12 at 06:59 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion