After optimization, can we focus everything on metagame please? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You are very sleepy, VERY SLEEPY...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-10-09, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Rolfski
Major

After optimization, can we focus everything on metagame please?

Operation Meaningful Game (OMG) or metagame is the single thing that absolutely needs to be fixed first after optimization (Operation Make Faster Game) is finished before anything else imo. It's the core promise of this game that is still not delivered and I'll bet it's the second biggest reason after optimization, people eventually quit this game. I think I saw about 75% of my main outfit come and go over the past year, mainly because of optimization and getting bored issues.

There are tons of things on the roadmap (or requested outside of it) that are eagerly anticipated: From ESF changes, to in-game outfit recruitment options, to better TR carbine/sniper sounds, to server transfers, to infiltrator overhaul, to more weapons/vehicles, to better e-sports spectator mode, etc. As much as these features are really welcome and even long overdue, going back to the regular daily road-map after OMFG is finished would be a huge mistake imo. At least reschedule it to prioritize Operation Meaningful Game.

If Smedley can make the whole dev team stop working on what they're doing and really focus on optimization, he can for sure prioritize this to finally deliver the big promise of PS2: Strategic MMO FPS.

And with metagame I mean making the game actually rewarding by giving it meaningful goals (very narrow definition of metagame, I know). It involves:
  1. Additional map content and level design to allow for strategic conquest/continent locking: Hossin, Amerish lattice, 3 battle islands. People are dying for this, make it happen yesterday. Battle islands could be released as a work in progress imo because competition/e-sports will cause balance changes anyway.
  2. Secondary goals: Alert, WDS, mission system and other game sytems. Make it so that it leads to balanced fights (no overpop bullshit).
  3. Reward system: Resources, XP, stats. It should promote playing the objective, not kill-farming.
  4. GUI and comms tools: Little changes in these can go a long way in helping players to go for their objective.
Most of these are on hold atm and right now Malorn apparently has only half a programmer to work with to fix WDS and other meta-game systems. I'd say let's give him half the dev team (the other half working on maps) after OMFG is finished. How cool would it be to have this game finally living up to its legacy?

Last edited by Rolfski; 2013-10-10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 2013-10-09, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Re: After optimization, can we focus everything on metagame please?

I think SOE has already claimed they intend to work on the mythical meta-game of the new Resource System and Continental Lattice as main projects after Optimization, Amerish Lattice, and Hossin... IMO with Class revamps, More cosmetics, and other features as side-projects to fill the void of player impatience as we wait for the meat and potatoes of the main projects to be finished.

I don't know where Nexus fits in, if it's a big thing with Continental Lattice or if it's a side project to appease competition players...

It's all just myth until we can play with it...

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-10-09 at 04:02 PM.
Old 2013-10-09, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Rolfski
Major

There's a big difference between working on something vs having the whole dev team stop to fix it now before doing anything else.
Old 2013-10-09, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
I think SOE has already claimed they intend to work on the mythical meta-game of the new Resource System and Continental Lattice as main projects after Optimization, Amerish Lattice, and Hossin... IMO with Class revamps, More cosmetics, and other features as side-projects to fill the void of player impatience as we wait for the meat and potatoes of the main projects to be finished.

I don't know where Nexus fits in, if it's a big thing with Continental Lattice or if it's a side project to appease competition players...

It's all just myth until we can play with it...
Nexus is integral to the metagame, as are 2 other battle islands (I think 2).

It's still gonna be a while, too long.

I don't know but it seems the strategy was all along to release an unfinished game and SOE also seem to be doing that wit EQ2.

It only makes partial sense to me in that a revenue stream will commence earlier however, think of the customers you/they will lose along he way.

Last edited by ringring; 2013-10-09 at 04:13 PM.
Old 2013-10-09, 04:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Root Hade
Corporal

What a weird post. You should suggest something tangible, like duplicating Nexus three times just so we can get the continent lattice live asap.
Old 2013-10-09, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

As much as I would love a better "metagame" I think the game has more serious issues like the new player introduction and the "progression" system (which kind of ties in with #3 though). Metagame would surely help to keep the current players in the game, but the game needs to be able to keep new players in the first place. And from what I see it's pretty bad at that. And I doubt that people quit because of the lack of a "metagame", but because the game is too confusing and/or not fun enough.
Old 2013-10-09, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Escroteitor
Private

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
As much as I would love a better "metagame" I think the game has more serious issues like the new player introduction and the "progression" system (which kind of ties in with #3 though). Metagame would surely help to keep the current players in the game, but the game needs to be able to keep new players in the first place. And from what I see it's pretty bad at that. And I doubt that people quit because of the lack of a "metagame", but because the game is too confusing and/or not fun enough.
The first time I quit was because I got 15 fps while I have 30-50 fps on other titles of the same year on high-medium settings.

I've return just because I'm starting to study and I need a long-term F2P (or P2W wathever) to kill dead hours.

So I think the optimization patch is a good way to keep new players.

PD: In Spain this game is a myth. No one knows about it because nobody can run it properly.
Old 2013-10-09, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I think Rolfski has hit the nail right on the head. Yes OMFG is incredibly important and if sucessful will net SOE tremendous amounts of cash. But hopefully that wont be the end of it. Soe needs to add personnel because this game needs more meat on its bones.

The second battle island needs to be a city. Urban combat is hugely popular and ps2 doesnt have it..yet.

Lighting needs a fix. The problem that I see on Hossin and during dark nights on Indar is that interior lighting matches exterior lighting even with ambient light in the room. There needs to be a distinction between the dark places outside and lit up interior spaces. Hossin will quickly fall out of favor because it is so dark all the time.

I should have put this at the top but CONTINENTAL LATTICE so we can get some map progression. Right now the only meta is your kdr and how best to pad that stat. Give us something else to work towards please devs.

Of course there are all sorts of vehicles, armor, and other little things that can be added to mix up gameplay but I think there is only one true game changer addition and that would be the Bastion air carrier. Soe devs, you do want people clamoring to play your game right? You want this thing to be the evening destination for millions of people. I think the bastion could help with that if its done correctly.

Soe, I dont consider this a complete project yet. Your efforts need to be redoubled.
Old 2013-10-09, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
camycamera
Major

I agree, Rolfski.
Originally Posted by Escroteitor View Post
The first time I quit was because I got 15 fps while I have 30-50 fps on other titles of the same year on high-medium settings.

I've return just because I'm starting to study and I need a long-term F2P (or P2W wathever) to kill dead hours.

So I think the optimization patch is a good way to keep new players.

PD: In Spain this game is a myth. No one knows about it because nobody can run it properly.
F2P means free to play, which PS2 is, and P2W means pay to win, which PS2 is not.
Old 2013-10-10, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Vashyo
First Sergeant

I've been waiting for some of these changes since beta. Its been a full year soon and the amount of gameplay changes is just non-existent. =(

Lattice is nice for a quick game now and then, but I'd really like to get some grander strategy aspects in there. Also New continents! So bored of the same old stuff, need more variety
Old 2013-10-10, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
LightNing needs a fix.
fixed that for you
Old 2013-10-10, 06:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Baptist
Private

My thoughts

The WDS system, they’ve mentioned that when the WDS goes live that the longer you hold a certain territory the more points it will be worth, this will be a great feature and I’d like to see at a glance on the map how many points each territory is worth, for example TR hold Camp Waterson and have done so for the last Three days making it worth Ten points every hour instead of the usual Three.
There’s my meta game, I can say to the guys our objective tonight is to remove that Ten point bonus, and when we do this, we get the visual indication of success on the map by seeing it’s point value drop.

Even the currant resource system could have something implemented without too much fuss, at the minute we receive resources from our supply lines which connect to the home Warp gate, I’d like for all three empires currant resource generation on each continent to be clearly shown, If my objective is to cut off resource generation by cutting supply lines, wouldn’t it be good to see one empires resource generation plummet due to the actions of my Outfit or Squad.

*Edit I realize there's a way to see each empires resource, but Clearly shown is what I'd be aiming at.*

Last edited by Baptist; 2013-10-10 at 06:21 AM.
Old 2013-10-10, 06:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Escroteitor
Private

Originally Posted by Vashyo View Post
I've been waiting for some of these changes since beta. Its been a full year soon and the amount of gameplay changes is just non-existent. =(

Lattice is nice for a quick game now and then, but I'd really like to get some grander strategy aspects in there. Also New continents! So bored of the same old stuff, need more variety
Lattice is actually not making the game quicker. Lattice force you to go to one determined base, preventing massive expanding and increasing the chance of sucesful defense. Forcing massive long battles.
Old 2013-10-10, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Escroteitor View Post
Lattice is actually not making the game quicker. Lattice force you to go to one determined base, preventing massive expanding and increasing the chance of sucesful defense. Forcing massive long battles.
That's not what he was referring to. He meant the nature of the game at present, without the global lattice and the strategic aspects that it engenders promotes smaller isolated fights without a wider meaning. The devs have attempted to give a wider meaning with events but it doesn't quite cut the mustard and in the end only provides interest because there is a gift of XP at the end of it. When you boil it down the game is about XP and it needn't be that.
Old 2013-10-10, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

The creation of hossin / 3 battle islands and other additional conts are absolutely the main building blocks to metagame. All efforts should really be on these.

The introduction of a intercontinental lattice will allow for home conts and warpgates (give us sanctuaries already, use the VR environment if you must, stick a warpgate in it). None of this will happen without hossin and the battle islands as a bare minimum. Searhus and Oshur need to be in before this time next year other wise imo the game will stall and die.

While work should always continue on the side things (but at a drastically reduced rate) such as:
Server transfers
Class revamps
Vehicle revamps
Map/base/outpost redesigns.

Continents provide the space and scope to make the metagame happen... just like the original.

Metagame is not a mythical beast, SOE invented it back in 2003, make it happen (by all means make it different but do get rid of the big "it was in ps1, so we dont want it" list.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2013-10-10 at 07:49 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion