It really annoys me people can walk right through me. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Guaranteed to work, unless it doesn't
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-02-07, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

It really annoys me people can walk right through me.

Gets annoying after a while.

You hunker down for a shot and some dude walks right through you and in your line of fire. + Grief points

Or,

Some opponent walks though you while "Quick knifing" and never slows a beat. You are dead.

Or,

Your max is blocking a doorway or top of stairs, but it stops no one. They walk right through.

ETC..
Old 2013-02-07, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Re: It really annoys me people can walk right through me.

Agreed, it sucks and I don't see a reason why we don't have this. It should be disabled in Warpgates, but everywhere else in the world it would just be good.
Old 2013-02-07, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

I. Never played it, but i remember reading that War Hammer Online solved griefing with player collision by allowing to "push through" (pass through slowly) other players. Neat idea, because it makes collision important and useful in battles, yet prevents people for using it to annoy others.
Old 2013-02-07, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Agree, extremely annoying especially as a MAX. When I get grief it's almost always because some one runs through me while I'm shooting.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2013-02-07, 02:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Gets annoying after a while.

You hunker down for a shot and some dude walks right through you and in your line of fire. + Grief points

Or,

Some opponent walks though you while "Quick knifing" and never slows a beat. You are dead.

Or,

Your max is blocking a doorway or top of stairs, but it stops no one. They walk right through.

ETC..
OR would you like everyone to have collision and have DBags stand in the doorway stopping you from getting out
OR how about some one tosses a grenade and you bump into the people in the room trying to get out of the way
ETC...

I would rather be unimpeded both have their issues but I think walkthrough allows for less frustration
Old 2013-02-07, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
LONGFELLA KOJ
Corporal

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
OR would you like everyone to have collision and have DBags stand in the doorway stopping you from getting out
OR how about some one tosses a grenade and you bump into the people in the room trying to get out of the way
ETC...

I would rather be unimpeded both have their issues but I think walkthrough allows for less frustration
DING! T-Ray is dead on. I got so tired of the doorways in Planetside 1. Not to mention how a 90 pound cloaker would bump a MAX unit back down the stairs in a tower 15 meters.

I think the walk through part is just fine. I think Grief on the other hand should be turned way up. There is no real penalty currently from TK'n
Old 2013-02-07, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Don't give Auraxis more physics to do ffs

Last edited by Ruffdog; 2013-02-07 at 02:15 PM.
Old 2013-02-07, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

ETC...

Hey Tray, cool that you jump into this!
Have you played Team Fortress 2? In TF2 it is not so much a "collision" with other players it is more of a "gliding". You glide along the other players and it doesn't hinder you at all, it works really great.

The Dbags standing in the door... I think they would not do it that often with FF enabled Plus the "gliding" would not really allow that too if done right. I would say that bugfixing and Metagame are more important than this, but if some guys on your team have some sparetime, this might be a good idea.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-02-07 at 02:33 PM.
Old 2013-02-07, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

ETC...

I Can shoot Dbags if its a problem. That's justified Grief, having some one pass though me while I am shooting, thus getting grief is not.

As far as grenades, check your fire. That's no different then right now. Quite sure 70% of the games current Grief is because of no collision and people jumping though you to get a shot.

I would rather have collision and a slow push though than no collision at all.

Originally Posted by LONGFELLA KOJ View Post
Not to mention how a 90 pound cloaker would bump a MAX unit back down the stairs in a tower 15 meters.
You are talking about a limitation of the time, not a feature.

Hell, add collision and maybe people will use fire lines instead of Gang-humping a doorway to get the last shot. Also, have I mentioned how lame quick knifes are coupled with this?

Originally Posted by LONGFELLA KOJ View Post
I think the walk through part is just fine. I think Grief on the other hand should be turned way up. There is no real penalty currently from TK'n
Does not parse. There would be no one left as everyone would be Grief locked.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2013-02-07 at 02:50 PM.
Old 2013-02-07, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Figment
Lieutenant General

ETC...

Or you could simply make the exits wider?

As for grenades... PLEASE MAKE THE DOORS WIDER, you always hit the doorpost anyway... >__<'

You don't have the issue where doors have been widened.

In PS1 the only place where this was an actual issue was when TR MAXes deliberately locked down in front of the tubes or doors in the spawn room - same for vehicles at vehicle pad exits and base exits (these were automatically deconstructed after 15-20 seconds when they were too close to a pad or building exit, allowing the player to move away still). Collissions for autodrive and getting out of the tube was solved by making the collision detection not function right around a spawntube. Collision detection also didn't function for friendlies with respect to PS1 TRAPs (tank traps). There have never been issues since, aside from deployment of TRAPs wrt friendly or enemy routers and AMSes, as they did not have any interference radii.

The door width was large enough to never be a problem. In fact, it wasn't even a problem in the very narrow corridors.

Tbh, I think the collission complaint is exagerated (much like the door issue of a door opening for one person but not for the other - it occured, but hey, you win some, you lose some. Locational issues beats permanently getting shelled with HE, IMHO).

You could also solve collission issues by allowing to push someone out of the way by consistently pushing into them.

Avoiding the issue creates other issues. Even if we move through friendlies, we should not move through enemies. Very annoying when trying to knife that they're suddenly behind you.

Last edited by Figment; 2013-02-07 at 03:44 PM.
Old 2013-02-07, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Killjaeden
Private

They should reduce damage on friendlies imo - like 50%
Collision for players would be horrible. Shoot one DBag blocking the door, the next one will block the way.

It could be an option against hostile infantry. That would stop an enemy LA/Infiltrator rampaging/running through a larger group unmolested, because if you try to shoot him the chances are you kill 3 allies and he barely gets a scratch if you try to shoot him.

As for grenades... PLEASE MAKE THE DOORS WIDER, you always hit the doorpost anyway... >__<'
No, that's not the problem. The problem is that they are not center, which is semi-realistic, but you can't decide which side you want to throw it with. That's horrible if you happen to be on the wrong side of the door...

Last edited by Killjaeden; 2013-02-07 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2013-02-07, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rat
First Sergeant

Beat a dead horse time.
Bring back stamina.
50% stam loss for pushing thru someone
10% stam loss for jumping....yay less bunnies.
gradule stam loss for sprinting....maybe people will slow down and peek around corners for a change rather than sprinting everywhere then complaining that they continually get shot in the face by scat maxes.
Old 2013-02-07, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Killjaeden View Post
No, that's not the problem. The problem is that they are not center, which is semi-realistic, but you can't decide which side you want to throw it with. That's horrible if you happen to be on the wrong side of the door...
That's definitely an issue - if you'd toss in a pose that would throw it directly over your head, or as if you play softball, it'd be a bit more center, would it not?

But in the current situation, you always throw a bit to the right, so you can try to compensate for that, but even then you usualy have to know what you're aiming for, so you have to look out, which you can't due to the wall being too narrow. A slightly wider door would make it easier to throw through while seeing your target (bounce object).
Old 2013-02-07, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

I forgot this existed in PS1. In my MAX suit I'd deploy in doorways to CCs sometimes.
"Excuse me, could you move" voice emotes aplenty from people.

Does seem strange, but there are pretty solid reasons for/against.
Old 2013-02-07, 05:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
I forgot this existed in PS1. In my MAX suit I'd deploy in doorways to CCs sometimes.
"Excuse me, could you move" voice emotes aplenty from people.

Does seem strange, but there are pretty solid reasons for/against.
There were people that complained about "blocking" when trying to clear out a tower first stairwell level by popping in/out with AV.

However, I can't say it ever bothered me, I just accepted it since block griefing was a very rare occurance anyway.

Hell, it was fun when SnuggleMe, HuggleMe, CuddleMe and some other similar name showed up in NC MAX suits and started to surround unsuspecting AFK players for a quick hug which they could barely escape from (could just about jump out of that).

I'm not concerned with it at all. Certainly not now the amount of exits has increased for spawn buildings. I'm more concerned with turrets blocking the passage or being used as deathtrap at the end of a preset launch or elevator path.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion