Downplaying future theme so that... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: got me in trouble at work!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-04-11, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Re: Downplaying future theme so that...

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
a lot of the people I see throughout the Battlefield community get giddy when told about PS2 and the huge game world, and often, they come back sad saying "future theme"
We don't want them.
Old 2012-04-11, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

2142 was brilliant, PS2 is even more brilliant. Your friends loss.
Old 2012-04-11, 11:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil View Post
Exactly.

Big NO to this idea.

If these people cannot except the diegesis they are put in... Then they shouldn't be playing this game. The barrier to entry is NOTHING(except maybe PC specs). There is no reason NOT to try this game. Downplaying Sci-Fi elements would benefit no-one.

Last edited by Bittermen; 2012-04-11 at 11:55 AM.
Old 2012-04-11, 02:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by TheRagingGerbil View Post
My feelings exactly. That was the best one they ever made.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-04-11, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Eighm
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
We don't want them.
Not to sound like an ass, but I agree with this. If they're not open to a future setting why would we want them playing a game set in the future? I for one don't see what the problem is with a future setting full of made-up tech. One can only fire virtual M4s and AKs before everything starts to look and play the same.
Old 2012-04-11, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Eighm View Post
I for one don't see what the problem is with a future setting full of made-up tech.
You can't pretend your awesome K/D ratio translates to being leetly SWAT skilled in real life, ready to handle and fire any weapon you come across in a combat situation.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Eighm
Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
You can't pretend your awesome K/D ratio translates to being leetly SWAT skilled in real life, ready to handle and fire any weapon you come across in a combat situation.
Wha?
Old 2012-04-11, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Felkine
Private

Why do you even pay attention to these people? Do we lack players or something, i just don't get it. You are indirectly saying to us to trick these "bf players" into playing PS2. I mean who gives a f**k about them, they can play whatever they want, if we want to play PS it doesn't mean that the whole world wants to. This game will be free as far as we know, and anyone will be more then welcome to try it out, but to waste time and go to bf forums to try to make them play its just plain stupid.
Old 2012-04-11, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I am not certain this is an issue... As mentionned already, if some people are narrow-minded, their loss.

They could also limit themselves to NC or TR if they want bullet drop so much.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Felkine View Post
Why do you even pay attention to these people? Do we lack players or something, i just don't get it. You are indirectly saying to us to trick these "bf players" into playing PS2. I mean who gives a f**k about them, they can play whatever they want, if we want to play PS it doesn't mean that the whole world wants to. This game will be free as far as we know, and anyone will be more then welcome to try it out, but to waste time and go to bf forums to try to make them play its just plain stupid.
Again, people accept that the game will change to cater to brain dead CoD players, and in that respect the game is actually changing. Yet massaging a few Battlefield players into liking the game is a problem? This is mind-boggling.

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I think that if you want to try and reason with these people then the poll was the way to start. You can't address their complaints if you don't know what they are. You may not be able to address them regardless, but it's still better than taking potshots in a dark room.

As long as they have a valid line of reasoning then I think there will be a valid counter-argument for it. I can already think of a couple of crippling flaws in the thinking that I've seen so far, starting with some of them being under the delusion that BF3 is "realistic". Exactly how many militaries do you know of that equip all their soldiers with infinite parachutes and have a "first come first served" rule regarding attack helicopters? >_>
This. Once we have a handle on it, the easier it will be. And, there's also the Snowball Effect. Get a few of them converted, and people will go where their friends are.
Old 2012-04-11, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Again, people accept that the game will change to cater to brain dead CoD players, and in that respect the game is actually changing. Yet massaging a few Battlefield players into liking the game is a problem? This is mind-boggling.
Edit: misread your post.

The issue is that the Planetside universe is Sci-Fi at its core. What can be fixed when it does not even take place on Earth ?

If what bothers them is science-fiction, even just that would throw them off.

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-04-11 at 05:19 PM.
Old 2012-04-11, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Destroyeron
Troll x2

Originally Posted by Bazilx View Post
We don't want them.
^
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion