What we know about Beta. - Page 19 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Free's your mind...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-24, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #271
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Re: What we know about Beta.

Well looks like the near future of news is coming up players.

https://twitter.com/#!/planetside2/s...20210463744000
Old 2012-04-24, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #272
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I would take all of these tweets with a grain of salt.
More like a spoon of salt.

That tweet is, at best, highly ambiguous lol

Don't get me wrong, i want that beta - but you know, lets not start seeing shapes in clouds here people.
Old 2012-04-25, 02:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #273
RanCorXII
Private

I take it, there is still no beta date?

fed up with battlefailed 3, need large maps to play on
Old 2012-04-25, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #274
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by RanCorXII View Post
I take it, there is still no beta date?

fed up with battlefailed 3, need large maps to play on
Once beta is announced you will be able to tell on these forums rather easily. You will have the threads were everyone is happy they got their key. Then the mad vets who didn't and will be making a bunch of threads saying they should be first vs PC gamer keys.
Old 2012-04-25, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #275
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

hate to say it but it's time SOE the market is ripe for you to release this beta and blow the doors off of everything
Old 2012-04-25, 10:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #276
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

I think we all know we're getting close to beta, but I found this article from Chinaside: http://goo.gl/dqinU

From what I gather, they have to show the game off to the government ("Ministry of Culture" in the article), and it failed. Its difficult to know whats really going on because of google translate. Just an interesting bit.

edit:
Another article from Chinaside. http://goo.gl/QWahO

This one says that PS2 would launch in 2013 (at least in China).

Last edited by Crazyduckling; 2012-04-25 at 10:51 AM.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #277
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Well the Chinese game will likely have a few changes made I wouldn't be shocked to accommodate it for that market. I don't see SOE doing the same to the American/EU version though. The Chinese government is just very weird when it comes to games.
Old 2012-04-25, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #278
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Well the Chinese game will likely have a few changes made I wouldn't be shocked to accommodate it for that market. I don't see SOE doing the same to the American/EU version though. The Chinese government is just very weird when it comes to games.
I was just making the point that they either had a playable client or a video worth showing.
Old 2012-04-25, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #279
emerald
Private

So I'm a new member to PSU and the excitement over PS2 has been pushing me to get information from all the available avenues I can (former PS player from 2003). Following that thought, I apologize if this question was already asked/answered somewhere by SOE, the PS2 team, or brought up in the community, but here goes:

With what seems like a potential beta coming in the next month or so, no one is really sure but we're all just super jacked for that day its finally announced, what is the PS2 team's idea for how they will handle how many active beta accounts are sent out at a time?

I guess where I'm really going with this is its my experience you don't want to try to cap your servers in the first stage of your beta, but have they said anything about a potential number of people they'd like to see sequenced into the beta as their phasing and testing continues?

I know the number they keep throwing around is 2000 players, and from what I have gathered that is per continent (yes?). So with the potential the beta may only cover a single continent (speculation), are they only looking at allowing around 2k - 3k players for their beta invites? Or do they plan to test multiple servers during the beta?

Just thought it might be an interesting idea to talk about. Thx for all the continued PS2 discussion, these forums are a lot of fun to follow.
Old 2012-04-25, 04:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #280
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by emerald View Post
So I'm a new member to PSU and the excitement over PS2 has been pushing me to get information from all the available avenues I can (former PS player from 2003). Following that thought, I apologize if this question was already asked/answered somewhere by SOE, the PS2 team, or brought up in the community, but here goes:

With what seems like a potential beta coming in the next month or so, no one is really sure but we're all just super jacked for that day its finally announced, what is the PS2 team's idea for how they will handle how many active beta accounts are sent out at a time?

I guess where I'm really going with this is its my experience you don't want to try to cap your servers in the first stage of your beta, but have they said anything about a potential number of people they'd like to see sequenced into the beta as their phasing and testing continues?

I know the number they keep throwing around is 2000 players, and from what I have gathered that is per continent (yes?). So with the potential the beta may only cover a single continent (speculation), are they only looking at allowing around 2k - 3k players for their beta invites? Or do they plan to test multiple servers during the beta?

Just thought it might be an interesting idea to talk about. Thx for all the continued PS2 discussion, these forums are a lot of fun to follow.
They way they have explained it is that the Beta will be done in several stages:

First, they will let in enough people to create full scale battles (my guess is they'll let in around 2000 people) to start messing with the balancing of the three factions, and this will be done on servers that aren't 24/7 but are maybe on over a weekend or something. The content will probably be limited to just continent we've been seeing, and possibly some vehicles/weapons excluded.

Then, they'll begin ramping it up by allowing in more players and leaving the servers on 24/7 (or maybe at least an entire week at a time), possibly opening up more continents, to test the broader pace of the game, and to begin testing netcode and optimizations.

Then the last stage (at which it'll probably be open beta), they'll be wanting as many people as possible to stress-test the servers, netcode, etc.

The way they'll be selecting players is using two pools of people: the "priority" pool are PS1 veterans, people who attended last year's Fan Fair, and those who entered a key from the PC Gamer article. The second pool are just general beta signups from their site. They will pull out names from the priority pool every time they need people (e.g. when they need 2k folks for the initial closed beta, they'll pull those names out of the priority hat), until they've extinguished that list and then go on to the general one.

My guess is that Beta will come around about 2 weeks after we see some screens of either the other two continents, or the MAXes (which I imagine to be one of the last things they're making) - that'll mean that most of the content has already been designed, animated, and implemented, and the logistics of the gameplay now need to be tested.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark

Last edited by Ailos; 2012-04-25 at 04:35 PM.
Old 2012-04-25, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #281
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
hate to say it but it's time SOE the market is ripe for you to release this beta and blow the doors off of everything
I'm baffled as to why you'd hate to say that. Hey SoE, beta please.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-04-25, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #282
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Soon
https://twitter.com/#!/planetside2/s...43252511809538
Old 2012-04-25, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #283
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by JPalmer View Post
I remember back at an E3 someone tweeted SOE asking if there was anything on PS2. They tweeted back "soon". I think that was back in 2010. We actually didn't hear anything for quite awhile after.
Old 2012-04-25, 06:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #284
JPalmer
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I remember back at an E3 someone tweeted SOE asking if there was anything on PS2. They tweeted back "soon". I think that was back in 2010. We actually didn't hear anything for quite awhile after.
Did you even read the tweet? Shits being prepared.
Old 2012-04-25, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #285
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Doesn't mean its beta is all I'm saying. Be great if it was, but I've been waiting for it nearly a year now. I'll get excited when they tweet beta included with that. Could be a new trailer or even a bunch of stuff on the max units.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion