SOE Event Planning: Suggestions wanted! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You're getting brain juice all over the keyboard!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-01-06, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Danicia
Sony Online
Sparkly Princess
of Social Media.

Re: SOE Event Planning: Suggestions wanted!

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
If I were to go to Las Vegas, I will get entirely too drunk and arrested and not specifically in that order. Onsite drunk tanks would be my first suggestion :P
Drunk Tank or Dunk Tank? Or both?
Old 2012-01-06, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

1. No
2. Almost nothing, but only because I just can't afford it. Although I would beg for you guys to stream the event online. I would even pay for said streaming, like Blizzard does with Blizzcon.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
Old 2012-01-06, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
SgtMAD
Captain

hell, if I have to, I'll run a class on how to get shit faced and not get in trouble
Old 2012-01-06, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Games-Com Cologne Would get me if any of the devs are around. An open round table about future plans would pretty much force me to attend.

As for the other stuff: Attending anything US based is quite pricy, and therefore not possible.

As for the presentation: Everyone has a panel and shows his game, everyone has big banners and flashy images to gain attention. Everyone fails at that.
To gain the max of attention out of an event, put some guys and gals in Game related outfits (Have a chick in a VS cloaker suit, hurrrr ), let them roam the halls and give out flyers.

Also, involve the community as much as possible: For example, CCP had a german Corporation (A guild/Clan/bla, players) doing their Eve stuff at GamesConvention Leipzig for several years (the event that was before GamesCom). And i believe the same guys do GamesCom these days.
that´s pretty much what i would have written, too ;-)
come to gamescom cologne and give a little love to the fans from europe!
and the thing about walking acts is true! i did walking acts for starwars galaxies and all the activision sw games at several games conventions and we felt like celebretys. send me a nc rexo suit and i will do it for free on every gamescon the game is promoted on ;-)
Old 2012-01-06, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
LostSoul

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
1. No
2. Almost nothing, but only because I just can't afford it. Although I would beg for you guys to stream the event online. I would even pay for said streaming, like Blizzard does with Blizzcon.
This, Fan faire is nice and all but its so hard to actually get there if you are not based in the US of A, There should be something you people can do for those fans abroad (like streaming).
Old 2012-01-06, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

The major events are streamed. But yeah, would be nice to have all the panels streamed too.
Old 2012-01-06, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Nephilimuk
Master Sergeant

1. Have you been to one of our events before? If so, what did you like about it? What did you dislike? No never attended I live in Britain : (

2. If you haven't, what sorts of panels & activities would bring you to Vegas to hob nob with our Planetside 2 team & other players/fans? A get out of jail free card which works with my wife and the opportunity to shape the game the direction

3. Any other suggestions? how about a Europe event! Manchester is the centre of the known universe so I would go there.

Regarding other conventions:

1. Do you attend PAX East in Boston or PAX Prime in Seattle? If we didn't exhibit, but had other ways of showing the game at either, what sorts of things would you like to experience regarding Planetside 2? No I live in the UK and European events a few and far between for SOE. However if it was streamed I would like to see the event as a sound board to illustrate the scale of the game.

2. Do you attend ComicCon? Dragon*Con? Games-Com Cologne? What would draw you to attend these events if Planetside 2 was involved? No Games Com Cologne is in Germany and Europe iz quite big

** if you did do an event in the UK i do promise to take you and the team out for a jar of real (proper) ale!!!!
Old 2012-01-06, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Danicia View Post
Greetings all!

1. Have you been to one of our events before? If so, what did you like about it? What did you dislike?

No

2. If you haven't, what sorts of panels & activities would bring you to Vegas to hob nob with our Planetside 2 team & other players/fans?

1.) travel and accomodation expenses reimbursement of some kind
2.) Q&A panel with the devs
3.) Planetside special events, both live (airsoft/paintball?) and in game.
4.) end of event contest to have the ability to ask ONE question that the devs MUST answer (NDA waived - pre-approved by SOE of course), OR, the opportunity for a 'day with the devs at the office'

OR

A live-feed stream that I could pay a flat amount for - Id say 5 dollars - 10 dollars a day for full access that day. Can also be purchased retro-actively to view previous days (for those who work and such).... With swag attached for those who buy the whole event.

3. Any other suggestions?

I am a sucker for swag, and I would LOVE to see some small trinkets and baubles, like Higby and T-ray bobble heads, along side Empire bumper stickers. Id be on that shit like a dragon his hoard.

1. Do you attend PAX East in Boston or PAX Prime in Seattle? If we didn't exhibit, but had other ways of showing the game at either, what sorts of things would you like to experience regarding Planetside 2?

I haven't in the past, but I travel regularly enough to Boston that if PS2 made a SHOWING, then I would pay the entry fee and go. I would want a full hands on experience if I was going to drive that far, or at the very least, the ability to video conference with the team, and see some exclusive content. Also, swag. Moar Swag.

2. Do you attend ComicCon? Dragon*Con? Games-Com Cologne? What would draw you to attend these events if Planetside 2 was involved?

A new role playing system or table-top game (i.e. warhammer-esque) based on planetside

I want to make a special note regarding non-SOE events. Don't look too much into these, as we cannot promise we'll be involved at all. Think of it as an informal poll so I can write up some things.

Thanks!
My answers in BLUE!

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-01-06 at 05:32 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SKYeXile
Major General

probably should have some events in Australia hey guys?....guys? ...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-01-06, 05:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Danicia
Sony Online
Sparkly Princess
of Social Media.

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
probably should have some events in Australia hey guys?....guys? ...
I love AussieLand. Quite easy to get a Visa. Can you keep the drop bears away?
Old 2012-01-06, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TheGoatFather
Private

1. Sadly I haven't attended any Fan Faire's...on the wrong side of the pond!

2. A chance to play a game or twelve of Planetside with the dev team, other community and press, as well as a nice roundtable discussion about the game and it's future.

3. Host a press event in the UK for leading PC mags/sites, get a few UK lifestyle & Euro outlets in as well as EU community. Dress it up all nice and fancy, film the event to justify the budget and everyone have a lovely time! (Ex-PR, just thinking out loud).

1. I wish I could attend PAX. Maybe next year!

2. I was at GamesCom last year - I did try and sneak a look in to the Planetside2 section, but it was heavily guarded so I didn't want to risk it. PS2 should definitely have more of a presence next year - maybe have some select players sent to the business area and not on the show floor as it's utter bedlam there. Would be again nice to show the influential people that haven't seen the wonder of PS2 just how good it is compared to every single other bland, half-arsed FPS there is out there.

In summary: bring PS2 to the UK please!!!
Old 2012-01-06, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
akiadan
Private

1. I went to one of them around the time of the fusion blade. I really had a lot of fun but I disliked the idea of getting an item only by going to the event. I didn't think it would be fair because some people don't have the money to fly in from places further way.

2. I like the idea of dev meet and greets along with maybe some sort of empire pride contests for maybe concept art or maybe art contests for stuff.

3. I think if you give out an in game item, you should be able to acuire it anyways so maybe if you were to give something out maybe have a list of 5 or so items the person can unlock for their toon to choose from.
Old 2012-01-06, 07:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Greetings all!

Here are some questions for you:

1. Have you been to one of our events before? If so, what did you like about it? What did you dislike?

NO, I live in Britain so the cost of getting to and staying in Vegas is some where around $2000

2. If you haven't, what sorts of panels & activities would bring you to Vegas to hob nob with our Planetside 2 team & other players/fans?

Massive planetside2 related 4days LAN party

3. Any other suggestions?

UK based promotion/exhibition with the likes of http://multiplay.co.uk just like SOe did for the original planetside (this was how i found the game, the devs showing off the orbital strike actually at the venue)

2. Do you attend ComicCon? Dragon*Con? Games-Com Cologne? What would draw you to attend these events if Planetside 2 was involved?

I could be attracted to cologne but the travel cost is pretty high so i would have to be very attractive

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-01-06 at 07:29 PM.
Old 2012-01-06, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Tapman
Staff Sergeant

Greetings all!

I've been doing this a while, so I know all your tricks about getting information out of Devs! That being said, I'm going to do my best to /not/ reveal anything while still asking for some feedback.
Happy to give feedback! All we ask for is that you take care of our baby, don't forget that we are willing to be footsoldiers of the social media marketing, just give us a constant stream of solid material and we will make sure people see it!

For those of you new to Planetside 2, you may not be aware of our yearly fan event for SOE games. We just had our first planning meeting, which was fantastic! There are a lot of great things coming up, and we have some great ideas to spotlight Planetside 2.

If you follow the Station Forums, specifically the Fan Faire planning forum, you may note that our event will be in Las Vegas in Autumn. That's about as close as I'm going to get before we go public with an announcement!

To answer your questions:
1. No, I've paid close attention before from afar though. I liked it when you guys talked about Planetside (2) and the fan interaction. I disliked that most of the questions sounded uninformed or confused except when talking to actual fans. I would suggest finding a way for reporters to get a quick but concise briefing of the history and gameplay basics of Planetside in general, as well as any information you are prepared to release about the sequel. Not to sound too bitter but it's hard not to resent the lack of spotlight Planetside has had at many of the Fan Faires over the years, I think if you reversed that you would see a lot of veteran players willing to join in the publicity campaign.

2. LOTS of Planetside 2 coverage, questions being answered, gameplay footage being shown (Ideally a live feed to a frontline/three-way battle happening in Closed Beta!) Also interaction with the developers including a Q/A and answering Twitter questions whenever possible, after/private party at a nice lounge that isn't too loud (NOT A CLUB, OH GOD THE POTENTIAL AWKWARDNESS) ideally one that serves nice beers, I know from Twitter that Higby is something of a beer connoisseur. Probably smart to have people check in their mobile/recording devices.

3a. Remember to introduce it well too, have a massive screen and figure out a way to not only show off the graphics and gameplay, but the SCALE. No offense but so far the gameplay videos have done little to nothing to indicate the truly massive scale that makes Planetside unique and attractive instead of just another space marine shooter.
3b. Have stations set up for each empire where people can play for a little while on a live Beta server with real players. Give them headphones with a mic and automatically put into preselected squads. Put it all up on decently sized screens so that large groups can gather and watch.

I have not attended any conventions, mostly because I have a job and real life. Having Planetside 2 featured at a convention would certainly attract me, please try to have lots of exposure in the New York metropolitan area! Cool perks for attending would be nice too, especially Veteran recognition!
Old 2012-01-06, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

If it was somewhere on the East Coast I'd sell my Xbox to get there. But for West Coast I'd have to sell my car lol
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion