PSU: This won't hurt.... much
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-08-28, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
camycamera
Major

suggestions on upgrading my shitty PC.

so recently system specs were just "announced" for PS2 open beta, here is the post:

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=47376

and so i asked if my pc could run it (MY SYSTEM SPECS ARE IN THIS):
i think my ram may be the only thing from playing this game (and maybe my graphics card.... FUCKING HELLL I DONT WANNA UPGRADE xd EVEN IF MY PC IS SHIT) but can you guys tell me if the graphics card will meet minimum? and i guess i'll throw in all of the specs too:

processor: intel core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
RAM: 2GB (told you i failed XD)
system type: windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

hopefully the minimum specs will be changed (and better optimised.... like Max Payne 3 ) after closed beta, but i would just like to see if i get a "pass" (likely answer: no, thanks to RAM D:<) .

also, i was wondering if anyone who is in the beta and who has similar specs to mine runs it? just wondering, hopefully this isn't breaking the NDA
and i received an answer:

Originally Posted by vailliant View Post
2 GB of ram is NOT enough, you want at least 8 gb to run it, your graphics card is a bit old aswell ( but so is mine), you should be able to run it if you put everything on minimum and upgrade your ram, your pc seems to be just a bit older then mine

This is what i am running the game with (recently upgraded memory from 4gb to 16 gigs)

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.50GHz
GPU: Ati Radeon Hd 5600 Series
Mobo:Asus P5P43TD P43 F GS 1333mhz bus
Ram 16 GB of GEIL Ripjaw 1333mhz 4 linked
Windows 7 64 bit
(i can run it on 1920)

And i put everything on low, and i still lag like *** during battles, i found a solution which is to turn the effects off (like fog/Exhaust trails and such THIS IS A REAL SOLUTION for me , and i think it will do wonders for you, also Shadows/extra lighting effects is a no go if you are running on a crappy pc.

I should be able to run the game on medium (maybe the processor and Gpu disagree with me there) and there doesnt seem to be extra lag, only in massive battles, which i solved ofcourse by turning fog/exhaust/explosions off, if you want those things upgrade or wait till Ps2 fixes itself

so, now i am thinking of upgrading my PC, and in particular, i am thinking of upgrading my RAM and graphics card, and i know you could build a PC that can run everything on max for $400, so i estimate that good RAM and graphics card would be at the most $200, so would anyone know a cheap but very good graphics card that i could get for under $200(or as cheap and as good as possible if there isn't any under $200)? and i am thinking of getting 8gb RAM, which i guess would be... idk.

Basically what i am trying to say is, is there any 8 gb RAM and good graphics card that could run all modern games that adds up to around $200?

my computer currently can’t run BF3 even on low settings, it just runs Crysis 2 at about 20-25 FPS and i can run BFBC2 smoothly on medium graphics, with effects (explosions, smoke) put on low (yet when there is an explosion or smoke grenade blowing up right in my face, the game goes from super smooth to 10-15 FPS, so i basically have to look away from explosions ). so my system specs again in-case you missed it or got confused:

processor: intel core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @2.80GHz 2.80 GHz
RAM: 2GB (told you i failed XD)
system type: windows 7 ultimate 32-bit
graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series

it is time for an upgrade. i've never upgraded my PC, so i've got another question: can things like graphics cards be incompatible with things like my processor?

thanks for your time, i guess i'll see you on the battlefield
Old 2012-08-28, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: suggestions on upgrading my shitty PC.

You're facing some big issues:
The CPU is in a sketchy area - IIRC it's actually worse than an E6850 (it has less cache, slower FSB and a lower clockspeed!)
You need more RAM - However, your computer probably uses DDR2 which isn't used much anymore and is expensive to get new in 4gb, let alone 8gb. (Use this program to find out what you've got for a motherboard: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html )
And your graphics card is low end and old.

so, now i am thinking of upgrading my PC, and in particular, i am thinking of upgrading my RAM and graphics card, and i know you could build a PC that can run everything on max for $400
Nope. $400 for a whole modern gaming computer buys you disappointment.

Your best hope to come in under $200 is used stuff. A faster Core2, 8gb of DDR2 and a high end graphics card from like two generations ago.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2012-08-28 at 09:57 PM.
Old 2012-08-28, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
camycamera
Major

motherboard is manufactured by ASUSTeK Computer INC. model P5QL PRO

damn. well, can you at least name a cheap good graphics card from this gen that is not used?

OR, what do you recommend doing?

Last edited by camycamera; 2012-08-28 at 11:01 PM.
Old 2012-08-29, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Vancha
Colonel

This is the motherboard.

camy, what resolution is your monitor? It'll take much less to play at 1280x1024 than 1900x1080, for example.
Old 2012-08-30, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
This is the motherboard.

camy, what resolution is your monitor? It'll take much less to play at 1280x1024 than 1900x1080, for example.
great guess, my res is 1280x1024
Old 2012-08-30, 10:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Vancha
Colonel

Alright, now find out the make and model of your PSU, so we know whether you need a new one, or how much juice we have to play with if you don't.
Old 2012-10-02, 07:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Alright, now find out the make and model of your PSU, so we know whether you need a new one, or how much juice we have to play with if you don't.
sorry for the late response, i was a little busy/lazy lately.

my PSU has 350w. is that good enough?
Old 2012-10-02, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Vancha
Colonel

Depends on the model. If it's a decent 350w (which it probably isn't), it'd be good enough for low-end gaming GPUs, which I'm guessing would be alright for PS2 at your resolution.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-10-02 at 12:31 PM.
Old 2012-10-10, 02:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
hellman
Private

any decent GPU you put in there will bottleneck with that CPU, a 5870/5850 or 560/570 would pretty much do the same as your current GPU since the CPU cant handle it. i would suggest saving the money you got now and buy a whole new computer insteed.
Old 2012-10-10, 05:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Ghost Runner
Staff Sergeant

Other thoughts you could try is upgrade the ram to 4gigs preferably 6gigs and find a used 8800gtx\9800gtx or even GTS250\450 that might get you going or blow up your PSU not sure but like above poster said your better off saving a little while longer and getting a new PC.
Old 2012-10-16, 01:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
dethred
Private

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
sorry for the late response, i was a little busy/lazy lately.

my PSU has 350w. is that good enough?
If you're that strapped for cash, then blowing 350-$400 will be a waste of money. You'll end up with another mediocre System and less money. What I did when I was in college and wanted to upgrade my 5-year old PC to play BF2, was to slowly upgrade.

Find a decent CPU, motherboard, and RAM combo to start off. Wait for a great deal and you'll be in business. I know microcenter had a deal recently in which a 6-core AMD cpu and motherboard were $85 total. You could probably search online and find something similar plus 8GB of RAM for around $200. Add in a decent Power Supply that will last you for 5+ years (corsair/antec 600W) And you'll have a decent 250-$275 backbone. From there, hold out until the game is released, and make your GPU decision at that time (They'll be cheaper then too). Save up 175-$200 and you'll be able to buy a worthwhile video card. Also, look for decent deals on Windows 7 64bit

Last edited by dethred; 2012-10-16 at 02:00 PM.
Old 2012-10-31, 09:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
camycamera
Major

im thinking of getting rid of all of my parts and getting this budget build for $350

it can run crysis 2 at 40fps, bf3 30-45 fps medium graphics.

i just want to know if it would be able to run PS2 though (im thinking of adding 8gb instead of the 4gb he mentioned to get)
Old 2012-11-01, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I have no idea how APU's (what that processor/GPU is in that build) run this game. You are best off asking on the official forums to see if anyone has a A8 or A10 to see how the game runs.

I would just save additional funds. Those APUs aren't really meant for straight up gaming.
Old 2012-11-04, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I have no idea how APU's (what that processor/GPU is in that build) run this game. You are best off asking on the official forums to see if anyone has a A8 or A10 to see how the game runs.

I would just save additional funds. Those APUs aren't really meant for straight up gaming.
APU's are being toted as these "Console Killer's" now and its kind of misleading. APU's can play pretty much any game on low settings at 720p, the same as consoles, while some games even render as low as 540p.

Anyways the APU is fine for doing this console killer thing, an APU and 720p gaming is just lowering the bar way too far. Playing PS2 and any multiplayer game at 720p and lower settings is just going to put a player at too much of a disadvantage against those w/ 4.5ghz i5's and 680GTX's at 1440p

In PS2, get an Intel i3, Pentium G630 or something like that with a decent GTX 650, 660 or HD7770 or HD7850. Also get 8GB of ram because its so cheap.
Old 2012-11-04, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by MrSmegz View Post
In PS2, get an Intel i3, Pentium G630 or something like that
I'd have thought PS2 would slaughter those.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum