Should I play Planetside? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Tip: don't eat a condom
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2006-02-27, 02:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
pumpkinist
Private

Should I play Planetside?

Hiya

I play WoW to get my MMO fix at the moment, and I do love it dearly. Terrific game. However, I've recently got the idea of MMO persistent warfare in my head, namely FPS that's totally online - a la Planetside.

So, I was just wondering - Is Planetside worth it? I may be asking this in a totally biased place, I don't know What's the monthly cost (UK)? What's stability like? Is the game still fun to play for people fresh out the gates? Alternatively, is there a Planetside 2 or similar coming out soon that might be more appealing? I don't mean to demean the game but I want to get the best mega war online FPS I can (and I don't want to play anything non-consistent )

So yeah, any advice/help would be great!
Old 2006-02-27, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

From what I understand, you will be able to play it for free up to level 6 starting in a couple of weeks. That will let you answer these questions for yourself.
Old 2006-02-27, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
AlexZk
Private

Hey. You�v come to the right place. At the moment and in the next year or so nothing better than Planetside won�t be arriving. There is Huxley but it wont have massive battles as we do . Price in UK I think will be around 15 bucks.
Planetside isn�t too easy for beginners. Senda tell to someone you see ingame and ask for tips if you get stuck. Most of us are more then willing to help.
Ah the European server is Werner and best empire to fight for are Vanu.
Have a nice stay
Old 2006-02-27, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Boomer
First Sergeant

Currently Planetside is the only fun MMOFPS i've played. Really, all the other ones are just MMOFPSRPG's, or Everquest with guns.

There have been rumors about a second Planetside, but right now its all just a bunch of... rumors!

About huxley... this is just like WoW with guns, from what I have seen. There will be an economy, many levels, cities, etc. Honestly, it is something I dont think I'll find myself playing over planetside.

Heres what you will find in Planetside:
  • Large Continent-scale battles either outdoors, or inside the towers or bases.
  • A vast and varied array of weapons, vehicles, and armor, that are currently pretty balanced among the three sides.
  • Nonstop chaos 24/7/365
  • Hundreds of egotistical kids, who have whored there way to the ultra-powerful Command Rank 5
  • Several very organized outfits or clans, that carry out very complex ops.
  • Hernia inducing frustration as you try to survive and crawl your way up the BR's.

You can try it out now for 10 days with the buddy key system, or wait until they release fodderside. It's your decision, but I think you should at least try it. It is a genre all in its own.
Old 2006-02-27, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Jimmik24
Private

I find this game to be a lot different from WoW. I've played both games for a very long time. From experience, I can say the style of game of both titles is different and so is the satisfaction you get from playing. You have to experience it for yourself, and I recommend you do so when you can play for free soon. WoW's feeling of satisfaction is "woot level up" and "woot phat geer and lewt" which are more of a personal reward. In Planetside, the best feeling can be achieved every day, rather than after a long 20-hour grind, and it's a teamwork goal. You'll most likely think to yourself "woot now thats teamwork" or "woot omg i cant believe i made it out alive ". So yea, they're different games but both very fun so if you're a fan of all types of genres this should be in your ballpark.
Old 2006-02-27, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Of the couple months I had cable internet and had a subscription to planetside,I gotta say PLANETSIDE RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2006-02-28, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hamma
PSU Admin

There's no reason not to give it a try really You can pick it up whenever you want, stop playing whenever and you don't have to sit in an instance for 2-6 hours to get loot. All in all it's win win

Oh and you get to blow stuff up.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2006-02-28, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Boomer
First Sergeant

That is... assuming your aiming hasn't been crappified by the MMORPG's youve been playing.
Old 2006-02-28, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Shirron
Private

and don't forget the BFRs (Big Freakin Robots) which are especially fun
Old 2006-02-28, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Nitsch
Sergeant Major

The best thing about Planetside is that it's a persistant pvp world with nothing but PVP. This really keeps the game pure, WoW gameplay gets diluted because the development team has create and balance PVP and PVE elements and playstyles... so such problem in this game.

"Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked."--Gary Busey
Old 2006-02-28, 11:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Shirron
and don't forget the BFRs (Big Freakin Robots) which are especially fun
You stole my joke,that is now copyright no 1 can use it without my permission.(stamps copyright on a piece of paper with joke on it.)
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2006-03-02, 09:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
victimiser
Private

this game sounds fun so its like a mmofps/rpg cept the rpg bit dont butcher the combat system lol like matrix click click click click no aimings sukssssssss
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion