News: Another Tweet Pic from Higby [UPDATED] - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait, so which Empire has Elves in it..?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-11-03, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
TRex
First Sergeant

Re: Another Tweet Pic from Higby

oddly reminds me of this fella without the dreads ofc :

Old 2011-11-03, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
That looks like it is a head analogue that they are modeling the helmet on top of, not a visor. If that's the case, the proportions are accurate.

Just picture some eyes and cheek bones in that big empty white space instead of looking at it like a visor.
When I do that, I'm seeing the helmet as either being unnecessarily wide, or the chin of the soldier sticking down way below the bottom of the mask. It might just be an issue with the perspective in Maya though.
Old 2011-11-03, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I thought PS released the same year as halo?
I'm pretty sure Halo was released a year or two before it, because I remember a friend showing me some stuff from Planetside shortly before Planetside was released (even though I didn't start playing until a few months after release) and thinking it looked a little like Halo, which I had been recently playing.

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
When I do that, I'm seeing the helmet as either being unnecessarily wide, or the chin of the soldier sticking down way below the bottom of the mask. It might just be an issue with the perspective in Maya though.
It is a slightly oddly proportioned helmet, but it isn't completely off either. Here is my quick attempt at showing how a head would fit inside it.

500 hours in MS Paint!

My proportions are a bit off, but you get the general idea.
Old 2011-11-03, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

Ok, I see what you're saying now, though the overall stylized nature of the design still bothers me a bit. Good thing I don't play NC. :P
Old 2011-11-03, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Baron
First Sergeant

The Circle in the front is for the NC secret decoder ring ...

under that is an Anchor ....pirates?
Old 2011-11-03, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Raymac
Brigadier General

I agree with TRex. My first impression was that it was Predator-esque. So this means if you can purchase dredlock attachments in the cash shop, I'm gonna be all over it, mon.

As for the Halo similarities...Planetside is a "space marine" game and all space marine stuff, be it games or movies or tv shows, all have some similarities. I don't think that should be a knock. That's like knocking baseball teams for having similar styles in their uniform design. (pssh same hat / socks / pants etc.)

Old 2011-11-03, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
GTGD
First Sergeant

That looks damn awesome. Drooling over that burger and this game.
Old 2011-11-03, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Clearly that circle is where the Serious Sam logo goes.

Old 2011-11-03, 03:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
earlydeath
Private

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I thought PS released the same year as halo?
2 years after halo and halos development started in 1998 or 1999
Old 2011-11-03, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Its not taking anything from Halo, Halo is completely unoriginal. Halo just uses standard armor suits found in a million other things. Spartan armor is very bland but being such a popular game it gets associated with this rather ordinary armor type for whatever reason. Enemies in Halo may be original but spartan suits are just beefier dirt bike pads and helmets, plenty of other games, cartoons, and shows/movies have used the exact same thing.

Glad PS is not goin the bland route like Halo. Always thought the spartan models were lame, boring, and cheapo. I was surprised they didnt evolve at all even with better tech to support the graphics in the sequels.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2011-11-03, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Blinding rage against Halo much?

Nothing is very original if you break it down far enough and Halo certainly doesn't get very high marks, but there are certainly similarities between the Halo and Planetside franchises. If those are coincidence or if there was any inspiration involved is up for debate, but Planetside hasn't always been the most original looking thing in every regard either.
Old 2011-11-03, 08:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
SKYeXile
Major General

should have gone the route of halo, its pretty dam popular and its staying away from this realism clone BS that COD and BF are jamming down everybodys throats. there has not been a good scifi combat game on PC since like TF2, before that...possibly UT2K4. its seriously lacking, for good reason? who knows....halo is pretty popular though...the trees in the back of my sig arnt from PS...yea...its a screenshot from halo :P

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2011-11-03 at 08:29 PM.
Old 2011-11-04, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
TRex
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
should have gone the route of halo, its pretty dam popular and its staying away from this realism clone BS that COD and BF are jamming down everybodys throats. there has not been a good scifi combat game on PC since like TF2, before that...possibly UT2K4. its seriously lacking, for good reason? who knows....halo is pretty popular though...the trees in the back of my sig arnt from PS...yea...its a screenshot from halo :P
Im currently playing UT2k4 and the original UT while waiting for ps2 to come out ,both still great games. Halo has a lot of lore and books about it , I'm surprised there hasn't been an mmo about it, maybe with ps2 microsoft/bungie might prick up their ears about the possibilities .
Old 2011-11-04, 04:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

I take it this set of images are for the Reinforced Armour...

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion