Sniping Mechanics and Headshots - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: as seen on TV.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-09, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Princess Frosty
Corporal

Re: Sniping Mechanics and Headshots

Presumably snipers wont be able to fire and sustain cloak, and they'll just be able to use cloak to get to their sniping positions. Generally speaking infiltrators in PS1 who were running long distances to reach new areas were easy to spot anyway, remember that infiltrating was based on movement speed so only those very slow, methodical and careful infiltrators were never caught.

I'd like to see the skill/reward curve be ramped up a bit with sniping, it should be 1 hit kill in lighter armour to the head, but things like bullet travel time and bullet drop need to be simulated, maybe also directional wind.

Snipers were always a good target for infiltrators too, you did get sniper hills in the game where snipers would rain death down into base court yards during sieges, but as an infiltrator they're the people who were easy targets to get behind and lay boomers on or set up deplyable turrets behind.

Generally speaking you needed to have good counter snipers to suppress the enemy snipers, once you get snipers on snipers the rest of the troops tend to be safe since they spend all their time sniping and evading each other.

PC game fix database - http://www.pcgamingstandards.com
Old 2012-01-09, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Princess Frosty View Post
Generally speaking you needed to have good counter snipers to suppress the enemy snipers, once you get snipers on snipers the rest of the troops tend to be safe since they spend all their time sniping and evading each other.
Hopefully regular rifles are good at countersniping. Having the same unit be its own direct counter is.. not ideal.
Old 2012-01-10, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Hopefully regular rifles are good at countersniping. Having the same unit be its own direct counter is.. not ideal.
Having the same unit be one if it's own counters is fine. Dogfights are good. Tank fights are good. Sniper fights are good.

But yeah, it shouldn't be the only effective option. I'd like to see rifles be pretty good at taking on snipers at all but the most extreme ranges, where it should be pretty hard for the sniper to land a shot anyways. Beyond that, vehicles, cloakers, MAXes should all be effective anti snipers.

Hopefully a snipers biggest use will be killing medics and squad leaders. Priority targets, like snipers are supposed to go after. Anything that helps them in that capacity and keeps them from being overpowered in other ways would make me happy.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion