NPC's in planetside? - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your IQ is bound to go up sometime by reading this.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-20, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Graywolves
General

Re: NPC's in planetside?

They should put wolves all over auraxis and I should control them and make hundreds of them maul armies and tanks apart.
Old 2012-02-20, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Only if they don't want a care-bear game.
This.

If they want planetside 2 then vets are essential otherwise it will be wow with guns.
Old 2012-02-20, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Garem
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MGP View Post
I've imagined the chat like this:
"LFG to kill that <random-dragon-alien-thing-in-the woods>, good exp and drop epic weapon mods!"
And then i've started to cry...
Out of curiosity, would the following line gathering be as offensive to you?

"LF raiders; lightly defended NC caravan spotted by scouts heading across NE Indar. Need Gal pilot, AT inf, EMP nades, any pilots."

Assume that the caravan vehicles are not fighting NPC "soldier" driven, but more or less drones told basic commands like Start, Stop, Slower, Faster, and Scatter. They may or may not be protected by Players. Caravans may or may not be automatically dispatched, or dispatched at the command of a Player/Outfit.

I just don't understand how a blanket theory can be made that all "NPC" characters would necessarily mean less PvP. Nothing in Planetside happens in a vacuum- people are going to care about losing important resources, which reduce their ability to fight.

Last edited by Garem; 2012-02-20 at 01:37 PM.
Old 2012-02-20, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Only if they don't want a care-bear game.
Having creatures that can kill players is care bear? I think you're underestimating what I and some other people want the creatures to be able to do to players.

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
They should put wolves all over auraxis and I should control them and make hundreds of them maul armies and tanks apart.
Sci-Fi wolves? That would be interesting to see. I mentioned before that the creatures could have abilities explained away by saying they evolved to use the NTU making them stronger than Earth creatures. Fighting a tank though might be going too far for a wolf. Maybe something larger.

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
If they want planetside 2 then vets are essential otherwise it will be wow with guns.
I'm not sure what you're saying. This might possibly be the worst thought out reply yet. Did you mean "if they want Planetside 2 to succeed then the game needs old players?" because without older players the game will become WoW with guns? I don't think anyone is suggesting WoW with guns. WoW is a primarily PvE game and doesn't fit with what people are suggesting. Also the connection is kind of weak and makes too many assumptions. Without the few veterans the game will probably still not turn into WoW with guns.
Old 2012-02-20, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
I actual was going to mention the ant being driven by a npc, lol forgot that one. Possible another thing command rank could do, give you the ability to tell a npc what to do as in evac the base and head to gal or sundere, move/stop that type of thing.
And this is where I say, "GTFO."
Old 2012-02-20, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Garem
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Livefire is taking all the heat from a suggestion I made. >.>

Zulthus, why would a drone-NPC that by its very nature made players more likely to engage in combat for a purpose different than merely taking territory be a bad thing? Given that NPCs were not allowed to take up "space" that players might otherwise fill. What's the logical reason for refusing this opportunity?
Old 2012-02-20, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
DayOne
Captain

I really don't see what everyone's deal is with NPC's. Getting quests to kill and collect the helmets of 10 NC would be fun!

Seriously though. I get that people may not want them because they sap CPU and server power but if they could be implemented do they don't? It would be great!

Immersion is a great thing! Most games just won't work without it. CoD doesn't need it as it's an arcade shooter. Battlefield doesn't need for the same reason but it has it because of its graphics. They are pretty realistic in the way people move, that immersion is probably one of the only reasons I overlooked the bug filled mess of a game.

Planetside will benefit greatly from it. Would it be worse than PS1 without it? No. Would it become a much much better game than PS1 because of it? Most probably.

This is Planetside TWO people. Don't go down the CoD road of accepting a reskinned PS1 and just lap it up like a sheep.
Old 2012-02-20, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
I actual was going to mention the ant being driven by a npc, lol forgot that one. Possible another thing command rank could do, give you the ability to tell a npc what to do as in evac the base and head to gal or sundere, move/stop that type of thing.
Oh c'mon be a little nicer in your replies. For instance, I'll say that if you require such a boring gameplay mechanic that no one wants to do it manually then it serves no purpose in the game and actually detracts from the gameplay.

This is why I made the rethinking the ant thread a while back. Take something that was painfully boring in the game and either make it fun or remove it.
Old 2012-02-20, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
TheBladeRoden
Contributor
First Sergeant

If they can't even render weapons without killing the player count, what are NPC's gonna do?
Old 2012-02-20, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Knocky
Major

no...no....a thousand times no!
Old 2012-02-20, 02:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Let's all try and pretend we like each other
I don't like people who want PvE. >.>
Old 2012-02-20, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Raymac
Brigadier General

I like the idea of doing things to add "life" to the world, but I don't know if NPCs are the way to do it. I mean, if you just stand in a quiet spot in Planetside, the place just feels dead. There is no movement whatsoever, not even a river.

So, it would be cool to have something that corrected the sterile stagnant world, but NPCs might have more cons than pros.

Old 2012-02-20, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Oh c'mon be a little nicer in your replies. For instance, I'll say that if you require such a boring gameplay mechanic that no one wants to do it manually then it serves no purpose in the game and actually detracts from the gameplay.

This is why I made the rethinking the ant thread a while back. Take something that was painfully boring in the game and either make it fun or remove it.
I liked driving the ANT, manning a turret, guarding a base, and repairing/healing things, because all of those things worked OK when my ping was 400+. They aren't boring for everyone, despite how you personally feel about it.
Old 2012-02-20, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
alienmoose
Corporal

The mere sight of the terms 'PvE' and 'PvP' showing up within the Planetside lexicon is disturbing. NPCs are not needed. The world and continents themselves are characters, have you not seen the in game footage of the sun setting and rising over the horizon? Weather patterns and day/night cycles are said to have an effect on gameplay, the developers have stressed this multiple times.
Old 2012-02-20, 02:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
I really don't see what everyone's deal is with NPC's. Getting quests to kill and collect the helmets of 10 NC would be fun!

Seriously though. I get that people may not want them because they sap CPU and server power but if they could be implemented do they don't? It would be great!

Immersion is a great thing! Most games just won't work without it. CoD doesn't need it as it's an arcade shooter. Battlefield doesn't need for the same reason but it has it because of its graphics. They are pretty realistic in the way people move, that immersion is probably one of the only reasons I overlooked the bug filled mess of a game.

Planetside will benefit greatly from it. Would it be worse than PS1 without it? No. Would it become a much much better game than PS1 because of it? Most probably.

This is Planetside TWO people. Don't go down the CoD road of accepting a reskinned PS1 and just lap it up like a sheep.
Why are people so adamant?

The reasons as to why that people have given can be done via players. "Player created missions", which doesn't need an NPC to give you.

Planetside doesn't need NPC's full stop, it's not going to offer anything a player can't. What immersion are they going to give other than to look at them?

"Hey look, there's a bird."
"Great, now fucking shoot the tank in front of us."

Planetside works fine without NPCs solely because it's a player driven game. You're going to be too busy teaming up, organizing raids, fight for resources and blowing shit up.

I also don't see how Planetside would benefit greatly from it?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion