TTK: Like it faster, or Slower? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Leave now before you become one of Hamma's minions.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Faster, Slower, Or Just Right TTK for PS2?
Faster TTK. 15 14.71%
It's just right the way it is. 43 42.16%
Slower TTK. 44 43.14%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Re: TTK: Like it faster, or Slower?

Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
I was being sarcastic, since the troglodyte I trolled was being pretty uppity without putting even the barest hint of effort into a rational argument.
I realized that after the fact lol.

He does make a decent point though. Slower TTK's become more and more irrelevant the larger the game gets.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
TekDragon
Contributor

I'd just like people to play a game of Tribes before they comment on TTK.

Tribes, including the new game Tribes: Ascend, requires more skill than any other 2 FPS games you care to name, combined. It also promotes teamwork in a way no other FPS outside of PS1 has managed.

Yet despite that, TTK is fairly "slow" in Tribes. Each battle isn't a single quick jerk of the mouse and a click, it's a dance that focuses on positioning and behavioral analysis. And yes, a quick jerk of the mouse and a click when the time is right.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Tribes, including the new game Tribes: Ascend, requires more skill than any other 2 FPS games you care to name, combined. It also promotes teamwork in a way no other FPS outside of PS1 has managed.

Yet despite that, TTK is fairly "slow" in Tribes. Each battle isn't a single quick jerk of the mouse and a click, it's a dance that focuses on positioning and behavioral analysis. And yes, a quick jerk of the mouse and a click when the time is right.
Lol, wut?
Old 2012-03-07, 11:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Boogster
Private

I'd be disappointed if it were any slower than what we've just seen. In fact I think they've just about got it bang on, although we've not had a chance to see HA weaponry in action. I'm not even sure we've seen Heavy Assault units yet, and their TTK could turn out to be slightly slower than Higby in his snazzy Light Assault.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The problem isn't him. The problem is that some of us process information at a much faster pace than others.

He and I (and everyone else except you, apparently) can recognize and process combat techniques very quickly in a battle. Some players prefer to stand and fight, some like to strafe in one direction, others go back and forth, others immediately retreat to cover, others charge forward.

For people like him and I, we can process that information within a quarter to a half second and adjust our firing strategy to match.

I'm sorry that your brain hasn't developed to that level. I imagine you're one of those players that just stands in place and sprays.
It's fascinating that you think that you can process information so much faster, yet need so much more time to do something with it.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-07, 11:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

I think this is an unfair comparison to make. TTK is slow, as you say, because of positioning and "behavioral analysis". This is only because of skiing, jetpacks, and the high speed players move in that game. These things wont ever appear in Planetside 2.

Without these Tribes: Ascend would have an incredibly fast TTK. That's evident in the indoor and gen fights that happen in that game.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
SgtMAD
Captain

The problem isn't him. The problem is that some of us process information at a much faster pace than others.

He and I (and everyone else except you, apparently) can recognize and process combat techniques very quickly in a battle. Some players prefer to stand and fight, some like to strafe in one direction, others go back and forth, others immediately retreat to cover, others charge forward.

For people like him and I, we can process that information within a quarter to a half second and adjust our firing strategy to match.

I'm sorry that your brain hasn't developed to that level. I imagine you're one of those players that just stands in place and sprays.
what a joke, I love all these clueless fools

a quarter of a second,I am still laughing at that one.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
The weapon accuracy is what really speeds up ttk in PS2, not lower armor or higher bullet damage. People just dont get it. If you put these more accurate weapons into PS1, the ttk time would be cut in half.

PS1 had a CoF that would bloom like crazy when you got hit or under sustained fire. The initial blooms were great and worked well, but the exaggeration when hit or when under prolonged fire was excessive and people often didnt notice it got so bad and wondered why people took so long to die when it was just that the bullets were goin all over the place. A JH will kill you in two hits even in rexo up close, go to VR training and you'll see that even a cycler or other MA weap will kill someone very fast when you land all your shots, just as fast as PS2. But in real combat your bloom goes nuts and you miss way too much.
You know you are dealing with a "strong" argument here, when you also read the claim that a Jh is/was a 2 shot kill weapon against rexxo armor in the same paragraph. You clearly know what you are talking about ...

You are basically saying, that the TTK in PS1 and PS2 is almost equal, or? I'm sorry to say, but you are clueless my friend. I think it took up to 10 bullets of a gaussrifle in PS1 to kill a rexxo (close up) and 5 to kill an unarmored cloaker. What we have seen in the video looked more like 7 bullets to kill a Heavy armor trooper and 5-6 to kill someone in medium armor. But ontop of that, the rate of fire seems to be faster as well. So ....
Old 2012-03-07, 11:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

I thought the time ttk for the light assault class was about right. I would expect it to take a tad longer for HA and MAXS. I saw nothing wrong considering we only saw 1 class with light armor.

Old 2012-03-07, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by HtSgtMAD View Post
what a joke, I love all these clueless fools

a quarter of a second,I am still laughing at that one.
You fell for a troll. You should read more.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

I was really concerned about the TTKs, especially since they stated they wanted to "speed up" the general pace of the game.

After seeing some infantry action I thought the TTKs were very nice. Not too speedy so you get instapwned. Not too slow so that it's a joke and takes forever to kill anyone.

I do think that the TTKs could be a TINY be slower, if only by .5-1 second. There were a few instances where I saw Higby walk around the corner and get instant killed, zoom to the kill cam and then wind up at the respawn screen, reminded me A LOT of Battlefield.

Also another point that people have touched, that I agree with is that a longer TTK promotes generally more skillful gameplay. A short 1 second TTK just dumbs the game down to whoever gets the first shot, basis the game around find a good area to set up (putting it lightly, I think "camping" is the correct term) and owning people before they know what happened.

I really enjoyed the TTKs in PS1. If someone jumped out at you and got the first few shots you could still have a chance to win it if you properly evaded their shots and managed your CoF. That was awesome and one of the most compelling things about the combat for me in PS1, no other game has seemed to capture that.

Albeit a little unrealistic, I get shot in the face 10 times but I can still turn around and finish the guy off if I can aim effectively (bow chika bow wow?) But it doesn't have to be realistic to be fun, this is a Sci-Fi game after all.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-03-07, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
TheSHiFT
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
Realism says otherwise. It should be not about soaking up damage, but using tactics which put you in position to shoot them first.
Problem w/ a game like this is, the tactics used heavily weigh on where one spawns.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by TheSHiFT View Post
Problem w/ a game like this is, the tactics used heavily weigh on where one spawns.
Which is a good thing because we are no longer restricted to spawning in spawn tubes.
Old 2012-03-07, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Which is a good thing because we are no longer restricted to spawning in spawn tubes.
Because they have all but removed this element of a war game.

This is session based thinking, corrupting a war game. Logistics no longer matter. Denial, no longer matters. Reinforcements come from everywhere.

Spawn, fully equipped as a max on your squad leader.
Old 2012-03-07, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Because they have all but removed this element of a war game.

This is session based thinking, corrupting a war game. Logistics no longer matter. Denial, no longer matters. Reinforcements come from everywhere.

Spawn, fully equipped as a max on your squad leader.
The enemy's gate is down.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion