News: Higgs GDC gametrailers interview - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You have received 5 grief points for flaming on this site.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-20, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Higgs GDC gametrailers interview

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
I'm hoping that cloaker had a Melee Booster implant
Like many things, perhaps the knife itself has different upgrades? At the least it could be a speed vs power tradeoff. Might have other effects like having a fast revving chainblade means its noisier but does more damage, that sort of thing.
Old 2012-03-20, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
megamold
Second Lieutenant

well i"m sure the quick knife has some limitation like in BF3 for ex ( wich i a great mechanic for knifing imho) you can only really stab someone when they are standing still or hardly moving.

but killing soldiers wont be the infiltrators primary task, rather taking out equipment and causing some confusion.
as seen in the vid the infiltrator died nearly instantly once exposed, so this would be a very unwise tactic or at most a last ditch effort for the infiltrator.

so i'm geussing there wont be any zergs of infiltrators backstabbing people.

Last edited by megamold; 2012-03-20 at 05:02 PM.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Knocky
Major

I am more concerned about Higgles back sliding with that 1000 players comment.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

My points on this video!

Higby looks tired! I can imagine it was a very busy day/few days for the whole team, well done.

What is this thing:

(this could be a alpha thing, and yes I know im a poet and i do even know it hehe)

We saw some new stuff in there, like vehicle smoke when damaged and as mentioned the red glow of a Rexo armour, seemed like a trade off for rexo's to me.

We also see how into** this game Higby is.

Beta, was mentioned to start in the next few months (as I guessed in a few posts) I would say 2 from now but a gradual amount of folks to be let in. Hamma might be in there now

We see the new cross hair in the centre of the screen while flying, it has a few nice points about it.

Nice video, bit delayed but nice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2 copy.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	374  

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-03-20 at 05:04 PM.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I'm not sure about this. In a Halo game perhaps but not in planetside when the infiltrator class can be nearly invisible. At some point you need to be given an opportunity to defend yourself against the invisible attacker.

Perhaps if the infil was forced to decloak and the decloaking effect had a very audible sound. Or like in PS1 where the knife had different modes and the powerful mode made a sound (like the chainblade rev'ing or the force blade humming).

If they stick to that PS1 mechanic it might be OK since the player has a warning that a knife attack is coming. If not it could lead to some lame gameplay.
Easy solution, have something that makes cloakers in an area known of but not visible, giving people the knowledge that they need to be wary. Halo has fully invisible cloakers too, the map fuzzes out when they're present though, alerting someone to their presence.

A sound effect could also be a good indicator of a nearby cloaker.

Originally Posted by sylphaen View Post
Indeed ! And for the same reasons yours was.
You should really google a term you don't understand before saying something as wrong as this.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-20, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
megamold
Second Lieutenant

isnt that the spotting pointer?
Old 2012-03-20, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
My points on this video!

Higby looks tired! I can imagine it was a very busy day/few days for the whole team, well done.

What is this thing:

Those are spot markers, the same as Battlefield's doritos. It's part of the 3D spotting system that's confirmed in the game.

Old 2012-03-20, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Gogita
Master Sergeant

I hope there are some restrictions to spotting. My ideas:

- it's a 'talent' in the command tree, so not everyone has it
- you can only tag 1 person at a time
- only your squad can see the spot arrow
- the spot arrow will only remain above someone's head for a certain time
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-20, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

What if Infiltrators are the only class that can spot and it's a class ability? that would bring some very clear "recon" teamwork benefit to infiltrators.

That would cut back on spotting spam and give Infiltrators a great role. Win-win IMO.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
fod
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gogita View Post
I hope there are some restrictions to spotting. My ideas:

- it's a 'talent' in the command tree, so not everyone has it
- you can only tag 1 person at a time
- only your squad can see the spot arrow
- the spot arrow will only remain above someone's head for a certain time
i really hope its just your own squad that sees it
id rather have no 3d spotting at all though - its a horrible feature imo
Old 2012-03-20, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Easy solution, have something that makes cloakers in an area known of but not visible, giving people the knowledge that they need to be wary.
Motion detectors from aliens. Hard to use since you dont know which dot is friendly and which not, and hard to avoid by cloakers.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
What if Infiltrators are the only class that can spot and it's a class ability? that would bring some very clear "recon" teamwork benefit to infiltrators.

That would cut back on spotting spam and give Infiltrators a great role. Win-win IMO.
^^^ I like this idea, and I don't see any issue with green on your empire. But red on the enemy? We may as well be shooting big red arrows instead of people. I just don't like this idea at all. T-Ray has spent many many hours with many other folks making some lush skins, then for us all to be looking for the nice big red "I'm here" arrow? They should be removed in my honest opinion. Not a fan of that, or It should be a skill as mentioned by Malorn. Then we all win

Edit** One thing this will remove from game is player interaction, when becoming in contact with the enemy. And this game should be promoting communication to the fullest.

Last edited by SuperMorto; 2012-03-20 at 05:16 PM.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
ThGlump
Captain

What about instead of marker above their head, you see them enhanced.
Infiltrators will have special optics with data feed to the rest of the squad. As long infiltrator see somebody, his silhouette is highlighted with red line. And you can see that line behind walls etc. When infil turn away or lose them from sight, that highlight will disappear.
Great passive recon tool to see behind walls and obstacles.
Old 2012-03-20, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ruwyn
Corporal

Roles I took in PS1 as a cloaker:

Intell gain such as tracking down AMS
Planting CE behind enemy lines. (prox mines/turrets)
Clearing minefields as they went up/disabling vehicle weapons on base pushes.
Killing retreating injured soldiers.
Picking off stragglers.

Heck I even killed maxes while in my cloak suit.

This talk of non-permanent stealth and roles limited to hacking is really making me rethink how excited for the game I am. Enemy spotting should NOT be in the game outside Enemy reveal from CRs. Go back to BF if you want little dots all over your screen....easymode. Snipers being able to cloak? No as well. Stupid. Snipers already have the range, why would they need to cloak.

Again the whole "class" thing is forcing things to fit into certain boxes instead of sitting in their own box. Why does Infiltrator and Sniper HAVE to fit into a "scout class". Anyone remember the last game SOE forced characters with variety of abilities into certain boxes? Hint: SWG Combat Upgrade. Worst thing ever.

Making something the same as some other game simply so the gaming community can recognize things and have a sense of familiarity is wrong. Free to play and huge perpetual battles is setting yourself apart. Copying other games mechanics (Squad Spawn, Resource spending for weapons(CS anyone), Classes, etc) is a step backward.

If PS1 was ahead of it's time, why is PS2 being produced with "features" that are already antiquated by gamer standards?
Old 2012-03-20, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Ruwyn View Post
Roles I took in PS1 as a cloaker:

Intell gain such as tracking down AMS
Planting CE behind enemy lines. (prox mines/turrets)
Clearing minefields as they went up/disabling vehicle weapons on base pushes.
Killing retreating injured soldiers.
Picking off stragglers.

Heck I even killed maxes while in my cloak suit.

This talk of non-permanent stealth and roles limited to hacking is really making me rethink how excited for the game I am. Enemy spotting should NOT be in the game outside Enemy reveal from CRs. Go back to BF if you want little dots all over your screen....easymode. Snipers being able to cloak? No as well. Stupid. Snipers already have the range, why would they need to cloak.

Again the whole "class" thing is forcing things to fit into certain boxes instead of sitting in their own box. Why does Infiltrator and Sniper HAVE to fit into a "scout class". Anyone remember the last game SOE forced characters with variety of abilities into certain boxes? Hint: SWG Combat Upgrade. Worst thing ever.

Making something the same as some other game simply so the gaming community can recognize things and have a sense of familiarity is wrong. Free to play and huge perpetual battles is setting yourself apart. Copying other games mechanics (Squad Spawn, Resource spending for weapons(CS anyone), Classes, etc) is a step backward.

If PS1 was ahead of it's time, why is PS2 being produced with "features" that are already antiquated by gamer standards?
Username just made again. Hello again blazealm.

Calling troll.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion