Harassers 2.0 (or "Doctrine: Flexibility") - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Still with a zero percent graduation rate!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-17, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Arcalane
Private

Post Harassers 2.0 (or "Doctrine: Flexibility")

The problem with Harassers, as I see it, is that they carry only two men, and are generally only useful for a single trip or extended maneuvers in unoccupied territory.

They have one main purpose; getting somewhere. PS2 seems to be trying to cut out a lot of redundancy and narrowly-specialized vehicles, so it's understandable that the Harassers and Deliverers would be first to go. So, here's my mad solution, which goes in entirely the opposite direction!

MFSV - MultiFunction Support Vehicle.

Potential names so far; Bouncer, Ranger

The MFSV is essentially a very flexible squad/combat support vehicle, with several possible configurations. Certain configurations have sub-options available as well. Was it developed off civilian colonization/frontier vehicles, or vice versa? Probably a fair degree of shared heritage going on with this thing.

The MFSV is a moderately-sized, open vehicle with a driver and three passenger seats, and an open back area or "payload space", basically a pickup. It is, simply put, sort of a hybrid of vehicles like the HMMWV and the original Planetside Harasser/Deliverer. The MFSV isn’t as good as it could be if it was purpose-built like the Lightning, but it still performs well enough to see use in actual combat situations.

Due to the open-air design, the other passengers could be able to fire lighter weapons like rifles and shotguns from their seats, but it’s probably too cramped for heavy/support weapons like rocket launchers, sniper rifles, chainguns, lashers, jackhammers, etc.

If not, the front-seat passenger should probably get a mounted MG, similar to the one on the original Harasser.

Now for the big bit - skipping over the possibilities for largely cosmetic configurations with closed tops/unused back area/etc. as unnecessary clutter, the five ‘original’ designs are suggested as follows;

-----------------------------------------------

The default “Transporter” configuration fits seats for additional passengers in the payload space, or a sort of harness/platform for a MAX to ride on (and possibly fire from?). Most likely rear passenger config would be 2 semi-prone on the flatbed, able to fire backwards and to the sides. Don’t want to make the Sunderer redundant.

Fastest of the lot, but also lightest protection. MAX platform is a bit slower but better protected?.

Total capacity: 6, or 4 + 1 MAX

The “Quartermaster” (aka QM) configuration installs a mobile armoury in the payload space, allowing allied players to switch weapons/loadouts and replenish ammunition when the vehicle is immobile/deployed. Slightly improved armour/shields.

The QM config might have a light turret that could fit a heavy machinegun or grenade launcher, possibly driver-operated?

Total capacity: 4

The “Medevac” kit installs an automated medical suite in the payload space that allies can use to recover health when the vehicle is immobile or deployed. Two catches -it can’t revive fallen troops, nor can it act as a spawnpoint.

In short, it takes some of the pressure off medical personnel (letting them focus on reviving downed troops instead of patching up the wounded), but isn’t going to make a huge impact all by itself. Trades protection for speed. Medics can also replenish their own medical supplies here.

Like the QM, the Medevac might also have a light turret, mostly for suppressing enemy infantry.

Total capacity: 4

The “Light Combat” platform installs a manually-operated turret in the payload space, with a standing gunner increasing total personnel capacity to five. The turret can employ various common and faction-specific weapons, and can rotate completely around the vehicle.

The Light Combat platform has no 'dedicated' anti-air options, as that is the domain of the next config, but all of its weapons (save the TR GMG) can be used against aircraft by a competent gunner.

Total capacity: 5

Light Combat platform weapons;
Heavy MG - For anti-inf and light anti-air duty.
40/50/60mm Cannon

NC:
Heavy Gauss - A single Gauss MG, a stronger and more accurate Heavy MG, but slower-firing.
Light Rail Cannon - Lighter version of the HC Rail Cannon below.

TR:
Gatling
Grenade MG

VS:
I have no ideas yet. Maybe amped-up versions of the Lasher and Lancer?

The “Heavy Combat” platform installs a remotely-operated heavy turret. Like the LC platform, it has multiple weapon options, and most are faction-specific. Best armour/shields, but also slowest of the configs. Most turrets can rotate completely around, but arty configs might be limited to 90/180 degrees from forward. The turret would likely be operated by the front passenger. Might have to ditch both rear seats for balance?

Total capacity: 2, or 4

Heavy Combat platform common weapons;
AA1: Quad Cannon - Four 20mm guns rigged together, Flakvierling/38-style. Good anti-inf too.
AA2: Twin Flak - Alternating fire rather than synched. Good against all aircraft (and light armour?) and similar to the Skyguard.
AA3: Dual SAM - Avenger style. The strongest AA option, but slow reload/rate of fire, can't hit ground targets.

NC-Specific Weapons:
Twin Heavy Gauss - A pair of 20-30mm Gauss Autocannons, a good all-round option against infantry, light armour and aircraft.
Rail Cannon - A moderately powerful AT gun with minimal drop, but no blast radius.
Alternately; AVML - Anti-vehicle missile launcher, like the old Enforcer?
Rocket Artillery - Launches a barrage of rockets to hit quite hard over a wide area.

TR:
Twin Gatling - Perfect for gunning down enemy infantry and light aircraft/vehicles.
60mm Autocannon - The weakest ‘cannon’, but also the fastest-firing.
Suppression Mortar - A relatively rapid-fire mortar (rotary?) for suppressing infantry.

VS:
Twin Plasma Repeater - Rapid-fire energy weapon; very little recoil, very weak over long range.
Arc Cannon - Paint the target with a laser, then hit them a powerful electrical blast to fry shields and electronics.
Plasma Mortar - A slow shot that sets the target area on “fire” for a short time?

Last edited by Arcalane; 2012-03-18 at 12:02 AM.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Harassers 2.0 (or "Doctrine: Flexibility")

Face it, this is just a plea for the return of the deliverer and variants...... I SUPPORT THIS! We do need the light transports.

Nice amount of info given, that's a plus to see.

That being said, I bet you they already have it planned, but voicing what we want is what it's all about till we know for sure.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Purple
Sergeant Major

i like it. this is something that could be fun to zip behind enemy lines or rush reinforcements somewhere.
Old 2012-03-18, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

There's a wide-open area for them to add a smaller, fast-moving ground combat vehicle. Whether they call them assault buggies or harassers or whatever isn't a big deal, but definitely there's call for a vehicle in that ballpark.

However, adding it as a ground transport I'm not so sure about. Planetside had a big problem with vehicle glut. Too many vehicles with too vague and overlapping functionality. It was a big waste of time for the PS1 devs to create half of the vehicles they did. I'd be really reluctant if I were them to start throwing in too many transport vehicles. Eventually you run into the situation where, as with PS1, stuff like sunderers and deliverers just really aren't used much because they don't do much of anything that players can do better some other way.

But otherwise, as a strictly fighting vehicle which fits two or three people, yeah, sounds good.
Old 2012-03-19, 05:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Arcalane
Private

@Zekeen; I wouldn't call myself a fan of the Harassers by any stretch of the imagination. I just see that there's a hole in the vehicle lineup that people aren't thinking about in the right terms - every vehicle has had an overhaul. Something that performs similarly to the Harasser should be no exception.

@Warborn; I agree PS had some unnecessary designs, but...

The thing I want to avoid is the Harasser's very limited (2, or 3 in the TR variant) crew capacity and utility, without making it capable of challenging the Sunderer's much higher capacity. The pure transport config could easily be ditched, probably making the Light Combat config the 'default' in that case.

The overall idea, I guess, is sort of to roll the concepts of the Deliverer and the Harasser into a single vehicle with many potential roles that it doesn't excel at, but can hold on until the heavy hitters arrive, or hit and run before the heavy hitters arrive.
Old 2012-03-19, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Making vehicles that don't excel at something is what I'm talking about. Players tend to gravitate toward the stuff that is best for the job. Vehicles have to excel at something, because otherwise people will tend to avoid the sort of general purpose vehicle that doesn't have such a clear role, and instead pick the vehicle that is designed for what they want to do. I really don't think a new vehicle that does nothing better than any other vehicle is the way they should be going.
Old 2012-03-20, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrSmegz
Sergeant

I love this Idea, I would say thought that one thing I would say they should focus on are the seating configurations. There should be at least one variant of it that can carry 5 troops so you can move your Squad with at most, 2 vehicles. Having some sort of Fast attack HMMWV is something they should spend lots of time on when they develop it, because it can add so versatility to infantry units.
Old 2012-03-20, 10:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Triple A
Private

I really like the idea of a fast troop transport. Lets face it getting the BUS in PS1 anywhere quickly typically sucked which I could see the Sunderer also facing similar issues.
With a quick troop transport you could forgo EMP capabilities and armaments and just have some awesome under armor so that you don't get destroyed by 2 mines.
Old 2012-03-24, 12:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
YaJackWagon
Private

Ah, this reminds me of the days of Ocelot/Bandit domination in 2142
http://www.online-multiplayer.com/bf...les/ocelot.jpg
http://www.online-multiplayer.com/bf...les/bandit.jpg

I could park behind a rock or hill and rip infantry to shreds, or I could run circles around a Nekomata (basically the Magrider) then jump out and plug a rocket up a tank's ass...
tended to get swiss cheesed by the APCs though...

So, what we're looking for is a vehicle bigger than a Flash so 3 or 4 people can fit on a lightly armored (open-air?) vehicle, but smaller than a Sunderer so you can actually get somewhere quickly and not be a huge target?

Doesn't sound hard SOE, get on it.

Last edited by YaJackWagon; 2012-03-24 at 12:43 PM.
Old 2012-03-26, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
WeNeedAMedic
Private

You know what could be awesome? Maybe allowing a player to run over to the Harasser and rip the cannon off the top and use it as a badass chaingun?

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault