Servers with FF:Off - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Ping? Pong!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want there to be FF: Off servers?
Hell no! 156 82.98%
Sure, why not? 32 17.02%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-05, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Folly
Private

Re: Servers with FF:Off

One of my biggest gripes with Planetside1 was the fact that indoors, it was completely impossible to shoot anyone without some idiot running in front of me, giving me a ton of grief while simultaneously preventing me from killing the guy I was shooting at.
I vote in favor of FF:off server.
Old 2012-04-05, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Folly View Post
One of my biggest gripes with Planetside1 was the fact that indoors, it was completely impossible to shoot anyone without some idiot running in front of me, giving me a ton of grief while simultaneously preventing me from killing the guy I was shooting at.
Different bases and aiming system...

I really don't understand why anyone would want a server with FF:Off... All it does is promote spamfests... Gives no real feeling of teamwork or repercussions of team killing...
Old 2012-04-05, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Owalpo

FF has it's pros and cons.

Can really fuck up a games pacing. Literally a hour ago I was fighting on a bridge in Planetside, and people were getting in the way of my tank. my own factions was shooting at me, running into me, and it was a big mess. No fun at all. If I was a normal gamer I would have left probably five mins into the mess.

I like FF for bombers as you can't shoot at a group of team mates and enemies fighting because you would kill your team in the progress. PS2 is looking to have no bombers so I guess that really doesn't matter here.

I could go on, but the game isn't even out yet so who gives a fuck.

Last edited by Owalpo; 2012-04-05 at 04:15 PM.
Old 2012-04-05, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
WildGunsTomcat
Master Sergeant

I'm against turning it off.

It was an integral part of PS1....because you couldn't just spam fire down a hallway without the risk of hurting your buddies...so it made you think before you shot.

Don't take this out guys please, you'll turn it into every other generic FPS out there....

And for God's sake don't split the playerbase up.

The greatest thing for me about PS1 was looking up and seeing 200 libs coming in to bomb a facility....you're going to lose that HUGE aspect of this game if you make server 1 for carebears and server 2 for hardcore people...

Please don't ruin planetside.

Last edited by WildGunsTomcat; 2012-04-05 at 04:28 PM.
Old 2012-04-05, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
shootx
Staff Sergeant

HELL NO!

If turned off it will be exploited and used in strategy where AOE damage would normally kill friendlies.
Old 2012-04-07, 03:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
dsi
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Folly View Post
Watch your fire then, you can't shoot everywhere in a crowd of friendlies and enemies and expect to just hit enemies.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Aractain
Major

How are you going to tell the million people that play to "watch their fire"? If it goes how im expecting, half of your deaths will be from different 'friendlys'. That is going to get frustrating.

What are you going to do, not play?

(My point has always been; think about how you feel being TKed constantly, not how well you avoid TKs)

Last edited by Aractain; 2012-04-07 at 05:18 AM.
Old 2012-04-07, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
How are you going to tell the million people that play to "watch their fire"?
With the grief system obviously. After experiencing a couple weapon locks you tend to be more careful when shooting around friendlies. Besides it looks like we won't have to worry about cramped corridors funneling hundreds of people into a clusterfuck anymore.
Old 2012-04-07, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
With the grief system obviously. After experiencing a couple weapon locks you tend to be more careful when shooting around friendlies. Besides it looks like we won't have to worry about cramped corridors funneling hundreds of people into a clusterfuck anymore.
New people probably dont know what the grief system is/was. This system alerted you when you hit friendlies and gave you a certain value based on how much damage and how frequent you hit friendlies within a certain amount of time. (I think that's how it worked)

Anyways once you reached the upper range of 0-1000, you began to have weapon locks to where you were unable to fire your weapon. This is how you prevent people from being completely retarded with their grenades and spray n pray styles. If you choose to blast your own team then in return the system says "Oh, we see that you can't tell what you're doing, so we'll shut your weapon down." Then you could just chill in a warpgate until your grief slowly decreased.
Old 2012-04-07, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
SgtMAD
Captain

How are you going to tell the million people that play to "watch their fire"? If it goes how im expecting, half of your deaths will be from different 'friendlys'. That is going to get frustrating.

(My point has always been; think about how you feel being TKed constantly, not how well you avoid TKs)
try not running with the zerg for one
Old 2012-04-07, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
Stardouser
Colonel

The game will constantly notify them that they have earned grief points or whatever for teamkilling.

But FF off leads to explosives spamming and tactics that should be stopped, and is the wrong decision. The only possible reduction in FF is that maybe friendly fire should do 50% damage.
Old 2012-04-07, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
IronMole
Sergeant Major

I thought those big red numbers were kills? Here's me thinking I was awesome for reaching 1000 in less than 10minutes!
Old 2012-04-07, 08:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
DayOne
Captain

FF makes you play tactically and makes you actually THINK about what you're doing.
Old 2012-04-07, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Tuomio
Private

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
FF makes you play tactically and makes you actually THINK about what you're doing.
Is thinking the stuff that circulate behind my eyes?

When motivation is to cater the minority of FPS gamers, which is teenagers, most of the damage is already done. FF off is just one of the small symptoms of this thought-process, unlimited ammo might just be lurking around the corner.

I personally see the fact that "clip" is just an R-button press as slippery slope towards unlimited ammo. In my understanding clip is a physical entity that has to be refilled, not the gun itself (unless its a shotgun type). In this instance, its not the way how CLIP would be refilled (ie. auto-refill when 10 seconds without firing) between the shitstorm, but the small nuances that come in play when the storm is upon you. Or the joys of figuring out pros & cons of seemingly similar weapons. Just as the FF and grief, small things that build atmosphere.

In the end, we are looking color dots on a flat surface, what is the reason to arrange them in any particular way?

I am sure many of you can figure out good reasons, why limited ammo has degraded your gaming experience on instance. Hell, you can count on it that limited ammo will turn of x number of players away, or at least they will think that the reason was such. As typical teenagers, they have poor control or understanding of their reasons or doings and act without proper knowledge.
Old 2012-04-07, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Tuomio View Post
Is thinking the stuff that circulate behind my eyes?

When motivation is to cater the minority of FPS gamers, which is teenagers, most of the damage is already done. FF off is just one of the small symptoms of this thought-process, unlimited ammo might just be lurking around the corner.

I personally see the fact that "clip" is just an R-button press as slippery slope towards unlimited ammo. In my understanding clip is a physical entity that has to be refilled, not the gun itself (unless its a shotgun type). In this instance, its not the way how CLIP would be refilled (ie. auto-refill when 10 seconds without firing) between the shitstorm, but the small nuances that come in play when the storm is upon you. Or the joys of figuring out pros & cons of seemingly similar weapons. Just as the FF and grief, small things that build atmosphere.

In the end, we are looking color dots on a flat surface, what is the reason to arrange them in any particular way?

I am sure many of you can figure out good reasons, why limited ammo has degraded your gaming experience on instance. Hell, you can count on it that limited ammo will turn of x number of players away, or at least they will think that the reason was such. As typical teenagers, they have poor control or understanding of their reasons or doings and act without proper knowledge.
You lost me with your clip analogy, but that doesn't matter, I agree with you. If we give up and allow FF-off now, unlimited ammo will be next. Guided bullets will no doubt follow right after that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion