Thrustpads [Jump Pads] - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Notice: your noticing of this notice has been noticed.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-17, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Raymac
Brigadier General

Re: Jump Pads

Originally Posted by Quovatis View Post
I'm a bit turned off by it. It seems there is no fall damage in PS2? I'd rather see a cave-style teleporter than being flung in the air.

I don't want it to turn into tribes-style flying bodies everywhere. That's not Planetside.
But the caves looked ridiculous with that whole confusing spider web mess of ziplines. I don't want to ugly up these beautiful bases with lines criss-crossing all over the place. Also, having them be jump pads instead of teleporters makes you vulnerable so there is a risk/reward. Jump pads are a far more elegant solution to the issue of traveling across these huge bases.

Old 2012-05-17, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
ringring
Contributor
General

+1 to the no Tribes thing with folks flying everywhere....
Old 2012-05-17, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Quovatis
PSU Staff
Wiki Ninja

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
But the caves looked ridiculous with that whole confusing spider web mess of ziplines. I don't want to ugly up these beautiful bases with lines criss-crossing all over the place. Also, having them be jump pads instead of teleporters makes you vulnerable so there is a risk/reward. Jump pads are a far more elegant solution to the issue of traveling across these huge bases.
I said teleporters, not ziplines. You may not be vulnerable, but it doesn't look as silly as a soldier flying through the air, landing, and not breaking every bone in his body upon landing. Having fall damage kept a bit of skill in PS1. Hope that's not removed.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Bags
Lieutenant General

There is fall damage, it just hurts your shield first. Most of the time he didnt' fall far enough to completely break the shield.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Raymac
Brigadier General

I said teleporters, not ziplines. You may not be vulnerable, but it doesn't look as silly as a soldier flying through the air, landing, and not breaking every bone in his body upon landing. Having fall damage kept a bit of skill in PS1. Hope that's not removed.
Breaking every bone upon landing? Like when you hot dropped out of a Galaxy? Oh wait. There were inertial dampners, right?

Last edited by Raymac; 2012-05-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
The Janitor
Sergeant

Oh come on, how much fun is it going to be to try and ram people in the air as they bounce back and forth along the pads? It'll be hilarious!
Old 2012-05-17, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
Breaking every bone upon landing?
Old 2012-05-17, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
There is fall damage, it just hurts your shield first. Most of the time he didnt' fall far enough to completely break the shield.
It should ignore shields and go right to health.
Old 2012-05-17, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
SixShooter
Captain

I'm not really digging the whole jump pad thing but I do understand why they're being included. These bases are gigantic and infantry needs to be able to mobilize quickly to defend them. While I think the game could do without them I would rather have this as opposed to zip lines or teleporters. I do admit that they are going to be great targets for my Scythe.

Old 2012-05-17, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Shogun
Contributor
General

in ps1 you could spend a lot of time running around on basewalls. and those bases were small compared to ps2!

it looked like the jump pads are only like a circle transport method just like the teleporters in the sanc. useful to get to the other side of the base more quickly, nothing else. that´s ok as long as there are not too many of them everywhere.

would be fun to have a small area with a lot of those things to emulate the zipline chaos we had in the ps1 caves

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-17, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

I'm a bit turned off by it. It seems there is no fall damage in PS2? I'd rather see a cave-style teleporter than being flung in the air.

I don't want it to turn into tribes-style flying bodies everywhere. That's not Planetside.
Keep in mind what you are seeing is a Light Assault with a jetpack to slow the decent.
Old 2012-05-17, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Hamma
PSU Admin

I am quite turned off by them to be honest. I don't have a problem with the elevator/lift implementation but being able to just launch between towers? I don't like that at all. If you want to move from one area of the base to the next you should have to actually run there. I hated the caves and I really dislike the thought of this.

PlanetSide should be more tactical.

It just adds an un-needed element to the game for the sake of making it faster.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-17, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I am quite turned off by them to be honest. I don't have a problem with the elevator/lift implementation but being able to just launch between towers? I don't like that at all. If you want to move from one area of the base to the next you should have to actually run there. I hated the caves and I really dislike the thought of this.

PlanetSide should be more tactical.

It just adds an un-needed element to the game for the sake of making it faster.
This. We're getting sprint, aren't we? And sprint should be unlimited I believe. But launch pads?
Old 2012-05-17, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Shogun
Contributor
General

radar, so does that mean a non jetpacked player will not be catapulted from one pad to the next? and it will cost falling damage for everyone but light assault?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-17, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Vancha
Colonel

I like it. I think people are judging it without knowing how long or arduous it could be to run between the locations where these jump pads exist. It certainly doesn't seem out of place in the game.

I also prefer these to teleporters.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion