Gameplay: Anti-Tank grenades. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Birth place of the almighty neckbeard!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-05-19, 01:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Toppopia
Major

Anti-Tank grenades.

I thought of this a while ago, but what if infantry could choose to carry Anti-Tank Grenades? Then for an increased cost and a lower amount, you can equip these grenades to cause some damage to tanks. This would allow a squad to be a bit more robust against tanks if you don't have many heavy assaults and would allow more play styles to open up.

(Thanks to Zekeen for the awesome picture )

1. Damage: They would not do excessive vehicular damage, but give a chance for an infantryman to add to the vehicular damage, rather than destroy like C4. It also does less infantry damage (it does a big hit, not a lot of body shredding hits like a Frag).

2. Distance: They would be thrown a shorter distance than frag grenades due to weight, but would still be useful for infantry fighting in tight quarters with vehicles.

3. Detonation: They would explode on impact rather than roll. This limits the distance and lets moving vehicles be hit since they won't stay still.

4. Radius: The radius would be reduced, preventing excessive vehicle damage and protecting the short ranged thrower.

5. Cost: It would be more expensive than a frag grenade so maybe cost twice as much, but would help an infantryman be more versitile instead of helpless.

6. Ammunition: You would be able to carry less of the heavier, bigger, AV Grenades than Frag grenades.

P.S. Thanks for the suggestions, i have put them in the original post so it looks better and is more detailed.

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-06-01 at 09:56 PM.
Old 2012-05-19, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Purple
Sergeant Major

Re: Anti-Tank grenades.

if everyone was Av then tanks wouldent last a second in combat.
Old 2012-05-19, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Purple View Post
if everyone was Av then tanks wouldent last a second in combat.
Exactly, there are weapons in the game that can take out tanks.

Everyone shouldn't be able to deal with any and all threats at the same time. If your LA and a tank shows up, run. Find someone who has AV or another tank and let them deal with it. That's what the class system is all about, filling roles. You do your job, I do mine, and we must rely on each other to be an all encompassing powerhouse.
Old 2012-05-19, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Zekeen
Major

I think this is actually a great idea, just need more explaining to keep it better rounded.

First off, make it grenades that just do better damage to a vehicle. Even if I can't kill it, hitting it would feel nice. Otherwise we'll be tossing frag grenades at them, which might do nearly nothing. Having an AV grenade makes sense. Have it so you can only carry a few, and they throw less distance, with a smaller blast radius. They would cost more than a frag, so there's a cost to use ratio balance. Also have them explode on impact, that's how they would have worked.

Essentially this is how a balanced AV grenade would work:

1. Damage: They would not do excessive vehicular damage, but give a chance for an infantryman to add to the vehicular damage, rather than destroy like C4. It also does less infantry damage (it does a big hit, not a lot of body shredding hits like a Frag).

2. Distance: They would be thrown a shorter distance than frag grenades due to weight, but would still be useful for infantry fighting in tight quarters with vehicles.

3. Detonation: They would explode on impact rather than roll. This limits the distance and lets moving vehicles be hit since they won't stay still.

4. Radius: The radius would be reduced, preventing excessive vehicle damage and protecting the short ranged thrower.

5. Cost: It would be more expensive than a frag grenade, but would help an infantryman be more versitile instead of helpless.

6. Ammunition: You would be able to carry less of the heavier, bigger, AV Grenades than Frag grenades.

I think those points would balance it enough to use in the game. I think it's a great idea to have myself.
Old 2012-05-19, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
DaPope
Private

I think it should be a similar system of point damage value regardless of the target. Let me explain.

A grenade is designed to kill infantry, so say the average infantry has 100 hit points (light having say 70hp, heavy having 140hp) the grenade is designed to do 80 damage. That way it can kill a lightly armored infantry unit, hurt a normal unit bad, and a heavily armored infantry will still take over %50 damage from it. That same point system can be applied to a tank. However a tank will naturally have a lot higher amount of damage/hp that it can take. So a tank will have say 1400hp. A single grenade won't do much damage but it will chip away at the tank. Often that last bit of health can be key in battle. So even inf a single infantry unit can only do 80 per hit with say an example of 4 grenades for 320 damage. It can often tilt the scale just enough to kill a tank or force them to retreat from battle. Remember this isn't going to be 1 tank vs 1 infantry fight. There will be hundreds of units engaging and being able to add even a small amount of damage to a tank can make a big impact in the fight.

Another example would be say a 5 man infantry unit (no AT) runs into a tank on the open field. If infantry can't do anything to damage the tank that gets to be very frustrating. BUT if they all have 4 grenades using the above damage system they could take out the tank. It would be extremely difficult of course because if one or two of the team miss with their grenades the fight would be basically over. But it is one of the "epic memories of playing PlanetSide" where you can talk about how, "...against all odds we managed to take out a tank on open ground with just infantry!!!"
Old 2012-05-31, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
SouthernGoods
Corporal

wouldn't this just be timed C4 guys????
Old 2012-05-31, 09:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hosp
First Sergeant

The way the vids look, I think regular grenades will do that "Chipping" damage to armor anyway.

If not, no need to add more AV if the HA and Eng will probably have dedicated weapons not to mention C4 looks like an option for some other classes. And certainly EM grenades will make a come back right?

In PS1 almost everyone packs some sort of AV because it is that much harder for infantry, particularly in the field, to take out a vehicle. Doesn't look like it'll be as hard in PS2.

What do i mean by not as hard? I mean like battlefield. a few well placed CGs in a tank would blow it in BFBC2. Assuming racial AV differences aside, it should be just as easy.
Old 2012-05-31, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by SouthernGoods View Post
wouldn't this just be timed C4 guys????
Anti-Armor Grenades were always (as in throughout history) an impact type explosive.

If they were added they we be a much weaker explosive compared to C4, but to give the mobile soldier the capacity to harm a tank without needing a rocketlauncher, even if they can't take out the tank, they could do some sort of capable damage.
Old 2012-05-31, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
SouthernGoods
Corporal

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Anti-Armor Grenades were always (as in throughout history) an impact type explosive.

If they were added they we be a much weaker explosive compared to C4, but to give the mobile soldier the capacity to harm a tank without needing a rocketlauncher, even if they can't take out the tank, they could do some sort of capable damage.
O ok i gotcha weaker than C4 just damages the tank not kill it unless it already damaged to the near point of death... i say it should only take out 1/4 of the enemy tank's health
Old 2012-06-01, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zekeen
Major

Got a present for ya Toppopia

Maybe if ya put this in your first post you can use it to get more attention to anti tank grenades

Old 2012-06-01, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Got a present for ya Toppopia

Maybe if ya put this in your first post you can use it to get more attention to anti tank grenades
Thank you very much

And i got everyones ideas and put them into the original post to give my idea a bit more beef to it.
Old 2012-06-02, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Fanglord
Sergeant

Needs to be blue and gold.
Old 2012-06-02, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by Fanglord View Post
Needs to be blue and gold.
You have NO idea how tempted I was to do that. But we all know grenades are gonna be common pool.
Old 2012-06-03, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

jammer grenades were basicly the anti tank solution to anyone that dosn't have AV.

Well the diffrent classes
HA and MAX will have AV weapons
Eng will have mines and mabey TRAPS
LA will have the emp grenades as a battlefield disrupter

so only 2 classes will be SOL when a Tank comes by, Infiltraitors and Medics
Old 2012-06-03, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zekeen
Major

Some classes have some AV weapons, but what if they go AI? It'd be nice to have something, even if it doesn't do very serious damage. It's a way to chase a tank away. If you drive a tank and take a grenade hit, you'll probably move a bit to avoid a second hit. This gives a tactical use to the grenade.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault