Exiting Vehicles - Come to a Full Stop - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Is mayonnaise a weapon?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-26, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Toppopia
Major

Re: Exiting Vehicles - Come to a Full Stop

Originally Posted by Jimmuc View Post
if i can't bail from my c4 strapped ATV to send it into groups or off the cliff into a base then i'll be pretty mad lol
But...but... this is fun to watch my brother do, imagine seeing a tank column in a narrow canyon, then hearing your leader say. "Push the ATV's!!!" Then seeing 30 ATV's fly down towards the unsuspecting tank column and watch then explode.
Old 2012-05-26, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Slib
Private

Instantly getting in and out of vehicles has a bigger impact on gameplay than many people realize.

If it takes time to get in and out, it forces you to find a safe place to load and unload. You can't just drive by at max speed, stop for a split second, have 10 soldiers suddenly APPEAR next to a Sunderer, then have it drive away immediately.

Plus, by the gods, did it ever look cool to see an entire Galaxy or Sunderer empty of troops... All the doors opening and everyone climbing out at the same time.

It just makes more sense for the pace of this game. This is supposed to be a marriage of tactical and traditional FPS elements, not simply one or the other.

The extremes need to be looked at, then a balance needs to be struck.

On one hand, we have BF3; hop into a helicopter, take off almost immediately... maybe a 3 second delay.

On the other hand we have Project Reality (a very aptly named game); get into a helicopter (with the correct pilot's kit, mind you), and you need to wait for the rotors to get up to speed. It took 30 to 90 seconds, depending on the type of helicopter, before you could actually take off.

I understand we're dealing with futuristic VTOLs and not helicopters in PS2, but they could still use a warm up time to keep things from feeling too "arcadey".

A mosquito or other light aircraft could take 3 to 5 seconds to warm-up.
A liberator, 5-10 seconds.
A galaxy, up to 15 seconds.
(Obviously these are just numbers I'm throwing out to get an idea of the sense of balance I'm thinking of).

I completely understand why the devs want to "trim the fat" of the original PlanetSide experience, but it's a fine line to walk.
Time spent not fighting (traveling, repairing bases, patrolling, scouting, etc), makes a nice contrast between engagements, and makes combat, when it does erupt, more satisfying (this is why CoD and BF get boring... You're immediately spawning and dying over and over again. Death is practically meaningless when you respawn 15 feet away in 10 seconds).
Getting rid of all of these things completely would drastically change the pace, and therefore feel, of the PlanetSide we know and love (I fully understand they could change it for the better, and that's what I'm seeing so far in their decisions, but it's all too easy to "trim the fat" so much that you lose some of the details that made the first game so compelling.
Old 2012-05-26, 09:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Zulthus
Colonel

Yeah ^, on the taking off speed part, it felt really weird watching them take off instantly at speed as soon as they hopped in. I feel as if there should be a 2-5 second startup sequence to replace the enter/exit animations since they aren't making it in. Instant takeoff feels way too arcade.
Old 2012-05-26, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Yeah ^, on the taking off speed part, it felt really weird watching them take off instantly at speed as soon as they hopped in. I feel as if there should be a 2-5 second startup sequence to replace the enter/exit animations since they aren't making it in. Instant takeoff feels way too arcade.
I have to agree with this whole idea, BF3 jets take off within a 3-4 second time window. It makes it much more realistic. Unless using the afterburners could warrant instant takeoff with an acceleration debuff to pay for it?
Old 2012-05-26, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by dm Akolyte View Post
It's incredibly obvious you've never played PS1.
The only thing that is incredible is the lack of anything useful to add to this discussion on your part.

Old 2012-05-26, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PeteHMB View Post
+1 Good luck with that C4 dude...
Thanks, old man.
Old 2012-05-26, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
Thanks, old man.
dammit that's my line. I'm the youngster around here...usually. seriously though...I don't think ground troops bailing at the last minute is anything whatsoever to worry about considering whatever vehicle YOU'RE in just killed their MBT. Meaning, you can one shot them once they're running around outside it. If you're any kind of competent as a gunner, it's a non issue. And even if you're not, vehicle combat isn't usually close enough for someone to C4 the attacking vehicle without taking several shots in their direction.

edit - just realized you may have been referring to my avatar...if you don't know who that is, I feel sorry for you. You're truly missing out. No joke.

Last edited by PeteHMB; 2012-05-26 at 09:42 PM.
Old 2012-05-26, 11:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Jimmuc
Corporal

Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
This is also a good reason this mechanic needs to be added.
It can be a lot of fun, but it really weakens armor in general. Seems to move the game more towards Battlefield, where noobs pile in tanks to die, than PlanetSide, where armor meant more than just waiting for a respawn; you have invested certs and some times a couple minutes of travel time. Only to get blown up by a zergling with ATV and CE speccd? No thanks.
i'll put it out that i'm not condoning (as you assume) insta-bail from tanks but i do advocate bailing from the atv since there is nothing preventing me from physically jumping off the vehicle. if need be let me take damage from bailing while moving. bailing from open-topped vehicle like an atv isn't a move towards battlefield but common sense, most of the solutions in this thread seem to put a broad ban on bailing from land vehicles. yes it makes sense to make vehicles such as tanks and transports stop to get out since their enclosed but it makes no sense to have an atv stop to let someone get out.

besides i'm NC we're all about unconventional warfare
Old 2012-05-26, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Furber
First Sergeant

Please not for Sunderers, I'm indifferent as far as that goes for tanks
Old 2012-05-26, 11:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by PeteHMB View Post
edit - just realized you may have been referring to my avatar...if you don't know who that is, I feel sorry for you. You're truly missing out. No joke.
I've got no clue. And unless he makes really cool music, or sends out free Kitkat bars, or tickets to Scotch tastings in Scotland... not too concerned about it.

I make awesome peanut butter cookies, btw.
Old 2012-05-27, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

A delay between pressing the exit button and leaving the vehicle is something I would like.
OTOH if you want reliability in your driver/gunner play with a squad/outfit.

Stopping to exit a vehicle will just make a lot of players avoid getting into public vehicles, no one wants to be totally at the mercy of someone they have never met.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-27 at 12:46 AM.
Old 2012-05-27, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Soothsayer
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I guess one thing that we've seen in videos that would soften the injury is that there is kill xp and there is vehicle destruction xp.

So people can bail and the person who go the best of them will at least get something.

Still, I like the conventions put in place by the original, open air vehicles can be bailed from, others need to be stopped to exit.
Old 2012-05-27, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Fuse
Sergeant

i'll put it out that i'm not condoning (as you assume) insta-bail from tanks but i do advocate bailing from the atv since there is nothing preventing me from physically jumping off the vehicle. if need be let me take damage from bailing while moving. bailing from open-topped vehicle like an atv isn't a move towards battlefield but common sense, most of the solutions in this thread seem to put a broad ban on bailing from land vehicles. yes it makes sense to make vehicles such as tanks and transports stop to get out since their enclosed but it makes no sense to have an atv stop to let someone get out.
I don't know why you think that comment was directed at you personally.

I'm not arguing realism or not. If PlanetSide 2 were real I would assume most of the doors could be blown off a vehicle in an emergency, at the very least. I'm arguing that it has a dramatic impact on the way a game plays, in dozens of ways, and I don't think that it would work well in PlanetSide. It takes very little time to stop a quad in PlanetSide if you need to get off.
Old 2012-05-27, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Zekeen
Major

besides i'm NC we're all about unconventional warfare
You are absolutely right, maybe I should edit the main post to reflect the allowance of ATV bailing.
Old 2012-05-27, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
PeteHMB
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
I've got no clue. And unless he makes really cool music, or sends out free Kitkat bars, or tickets to Scotch tastings in Scotland... not too concerned about it.

I make awesome peanut butter cookies, btw.
George Carlin. Google him. Here, I'll even help you out. Hilarious comedian, raw, upfront, in your face "tell it like it is" style.

The Best of George Carlin Pt 3

The Best of George Carlin Pt 4
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion