Reduced scale of gameplay - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ANT Driver School, certifing terrorist bombers since 2003
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Reduced scale of gameplay

Footholds don't prevent domination of a continent. They do give better accessibility and allow you to more easily mount a reasonable offensive.

If PS1 taught us anything it is that the masses typically move to the next nearest objective along the path of least resistance (typically a road).

In PS2 terms that means people will fight out from footholds, and if there isn't a foothold you won't see any serious offensives there.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Reduced scale of gameplay

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
In PS2 terms that means people will fight out from footholds, and if there isn't a foothold you won't see any serious offensives there.
I disagree, especially if they do something like making the territory near a broadcast warpgate be easier to capture no matter who controls the other nearby hexes.

The bigger problem is the resource system. If your empire controls no resources on a continent, why not go fight on one where you are earning more. But this is a problem with or without footholds.

My point wasn't that it wouldn't be harder to push into a continent where you had no foothold. I agree it would be harder, that's actually the whole idea. My point was that there would be nothing to stop you from fighting where you wanted. Unlike the lattice system, you could attempt to break into every continent, on any hex, if you so chose. Even if it is harder, I still doubt it will be as bad as trying to drain a base neutral and then refill it and hack it. If the enemy controls the entire continent, they may be bored and not expect a large force to come crashing in. If there is a two way fight going on, their forces will be to busy to respond as swiftly.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-30 at 09:02 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion