Scythe Customization: BEAM LAZORZ! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keeping you away from your fridge.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-10, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info
Re: Scythe Customization: BEAM LAZORZ!

Laser instead of machine gun on scythe? Wouldn't mind it as a side grade in the form of it doing more damage the closer you are to the target. Would look pretty cool too. Though you'd have to learn to not lead your target which might mess with how you dogfight in it a bit but that's part of the fun of different empires.
Old 2012-06-10, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Pyreal
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheInferno View Post
The problem with that is other weapons have to worry about missing. This mostly doesn't, because it's easier to track a laser on something then it is to lead, especially with the maneuverability of the Scythe. Therefore, even if this had the same DPS based on averages, anyone who could actually hit with consistently above average weaponry would make the beam weapon fairly useless.

Seems like I'm missing something though, does my logic make sense to anyone else?
In that case it all fits with the lore! Because we all know that the V.S. is superior.

Problem solved. Bring on the Beam Lazorz!
Old 2012-06-10, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
TheInferno
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
In that case it all fits with the lore! Because we all know that the V.S. is superior.

Problem solved. Bring on the Beam Lazorz!
I'm sorry, you must've been standing too close to your fancy microwave ovens, because everyone knows that the Terran Republic shall rule Auraxis!

Though I have to ask, would this be a continuous laser or a "Beam for half second, cooldown, fire again" deal?
Old 2012-06-10, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Vanu Techpriest
Corporal

You Terran scum won't stop humanity's path to enlightenment.

More lazers please.
Old 2012-06-10, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Vanu probably work with plasma "blob" projectors, not beams. The only beam weapon for the vanu in PS1 was the BFR AI weapon, and seeing as it was:-
A. Hit-scan
B. Associated with BFRs
C. Attached to the most unstable weapon platform in the game.
I don't see it returning to planetside (at least in its current configuration).

Most Vanu weapon names are misnomers, the beamer is a plasma caster, the pulsar is just a rapid-refire plasma accelerator (out of the magazine, heated? contained and accelerated in projectile form towards the enemy).
If a beam is involved it is as a guiding force dictating the path the projectile travels, rather than being the damage source.

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
there is a a piece of metal covering the barrel, something you may actually call muzzle, that means the shots are made from inside the gun, not from the outside.
Agreed, though the "muzzle" is most probably a heatsink, projectile guidance mechanism (and maybe accelerator chamber) who's to say the NC didnt steal a few railgun prototypes of some Vanu plasma tech).
Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
the explanation for which is the one Pyreal gave. Vanu weaponry does not shoot lasers. It shoots beams. Beams of energy, not light.
Vanu weaponry does not shoot lasers. It shoots beams. Beams of energy, not light.
Phyreal said nothing of the sort, he just wants a continuous beam weapon rather than a flickering one.
Beams are usually pulsed to reduce the thermal, fuel and materiel (what its made of) cost of a continuous beam, given the Vanu level of tech I do not doubt they could create a man or vehicle portable beam weapon if they so choose (but hit-scan weapons are unfair so we choose to melt our foes with plasma "spheres").

I could wiki physics descriptions of the words you used but clearly didn't understand (beams, energy), but in the end, it does not matter from a gameplay standpoint if a beam weapon is firing lasers, electrons (lightning, yay) or whatever.
Any continuous beam with a high velocity will have the same properties as a laser, near instant hit, impossible to dodge and pinpoint accurate (pro and a con depending on how wide the beam is and how unstable the firing platform).

The ONLY "low velocity" beam weapon I have ever seen in a videogame is the "Phase Stream Projector" in Oni (old game, on the PC and Playstation1/2?, great weapons, good fun) where the beam was slow enough that it created a slow moving channel of doom similar to a high pressure fire-hose (or a gel based flamethrower before it was ignited) I looked but could not find a youtube vid with the oni gun in-use.
Either way that weapon would be more for air-ground use due to the fairly slow speed of the projectile mass and the need for sustained exposure to rack up damage (sort of bathing a tank in thermite).

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-10 at 05:14 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion