How big is accedental Team Killing gonna be? Possible solutions - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It has your stapler
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What should SOE do about aceedental Team killing?
Nothing....Don't put special assist...Please don't ruin Immersion 57 50.00%
Put outlines on enemies so they can distinguish(Makes night battles worthless) 2 1.75%
Lessen the Grief system so new players won't get punished 7 6.14%
Tougher Grief System so people will learn how not to kill friendlies 67 58.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-11, 11:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: How big is accedental Team Killing gonna be? Possible solutions

TTK will go up across the board during beta, guaranteed. With that in mind the old grief system should work quite adequately to keep TKs in check.
Old 2012-06-11, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
TTK will go up across the board during beta, guaranteed. With that in mind the old grief system should work quite adequately to keep TKs in check.
how did the old system work? as i never played PS 1 i have no clue
Old 2012-06-11, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by RSphil View Post
how did the old system work? as i never played PS 1 i have no clue
Hit a player, get x amount of grief points; kill a player, get even more grief points. As you accumulate grief you get warnings and eventually weapon lock(can't fire any weapons) for increasing periods of time depending upon accumulated grief. Grief points slowly fade away as time passes.

That's the system in a nutshell... some here seem to think that there will be a resource penalty as well in PS2, but I've heard nothing of the sort.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Hit a player, get x amount of grief points; kill a player, get even more grief points. As you accumulate grief you get warnings and eventually weapon lock(can't fire any weapons) for increasing periods of time depending upon accumulated grief. Grief points slowly fade away as time passes.

That's the system in a nutshell... some here seem to think that there will be a resource penalty as well in PS2, but I've heard nothing of the sort.
sounds fair to me. could work if adjusted a little for PS 2. will be interesting to see what they actually do then.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Looking at the E3 footage we saw a lot of Team killing.

Sure people didn't know how to play but lets be honest, this a Free 2 Play game...Theirs gonna be a lot of people who don't know how to play playing all the time.

Add the Fact that TTK is kinda of low, and Team killing could be a problem when their is 2000 people fighting in a continent.

I mean bomb falling everywhere, not being able to distinguish foe from friends....Is gonna be real easy to team kill.

I just think is the nature of the game....2000 people= chaos so I think people need to deal with it.

Of course their is going to be Team killers like me who will take the advantage of the situation of tking and tk on purpose.

So do you guys think SOE needs to implement something things to make Team killing not a problem or just leave it how it is.

I kind of want them to just leave the game how it is...I don't want any kind of special assit or forgiveness for tking...

For people comparing saying to keep the same type of griefing system....Well it must be adjusted...TTK is way too low in Planetside 2 compared to Planetside 1....Team killing will be way easier from what it seems like.
So you are the reason there is a grief system. I'm happy with more sever punishment for griefers like you. Also PS2 has an active staff with the tools to track down cheaters like you and Matt has said they'll be proactive in tracking people down and banning them for doing things that are questionable.

Very easy for devs to see players like you killing your own empire all the time and ban your account. Sure you can make another but you'll be starting from square one again.

Amazes me how many people love to be trolls.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Timealude View Post
most likely the griefing system from PS1 it was pretty effective in making you choose your shots and watch for bombs....only thing is its annoying when a team made runs in front of your vehicle and you get points for tking
But this isn't really an issue. I've NEVER been locked and I'm not very careful. In PS 1 you'd have to really mess up to get to that point.

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I know about the grief system but don't you guys think that is gonna be tough when TTK is super low?

I mean guys die really fast now, a carpet bombing placed in the wrong spot can pretty much kill a couple of guys and lock you.

The griefing system needs to adjust to the TTK IMO
PS1 you'd have to kill more then just a couple of guys. I've Killed a whole gal that flew under my lib bombs before and still wasn't close to being locked.

Last edited by WNxThentar; 2012-06-12 at 12:19 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-12, 12:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I don't think the grief system was one of those things that was turned on in the E3 demo.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
LightningDriver
Corporal

Team Killing will only be an issue for the first few months. By then, people will learn or move on. I did not ever play a first person shooter before Planetside, I learned to hold fire very quickly. I'm sure than brand new players to the genre will learn fast as well.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
How about if you TK in a 100% friendly controlled area of map you get a fine of -100 resources.
That is an interesting idea. Kill a player and loose resources. I'd still put some grief points in there but there is a immediate effect.

Another thing to note is know TK players tend to get shot on site by outfits that don't have a strict no TK policy like WN do. If they implement the longer and longer respawn timer it is quite effective because TK trolls spend 20 times more time waiting to respawn then they do actually attempting to get equipment and try to shoot anyone after they've been IDed

Last edited by WNxThentar; 2012-06-12 at 12:25 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Nolerhn
Corporal

I never played PS1, so I don't know the specifics on the griefing system of the original game, but I gotta be honest here:

After watching all the E3 footage, I can honestly say with all the different camo options available, I'm worried about me personally team killing friendlies on sight. There were many times in the E3 footage when I was thinking to myself what I would personally be doing in that situation and I have say there would be several dead friendlies because I honestly thought some team mates were enemies at a decent distance. The one class I don't think I ever mistook for being a foe is the MAX's though, they have VERY defined silhouettes.

I would also like to add that I don't TK on purpose in FPS games, I just hope the system will be forgiving enough that when it does (inevitably) happen, the penalty won't be too severe unless it's obvious it's being done on purpose.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

I'm really hoping for bright green names on friendlies, possibly even arrows. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to readily identify allies on the battlefield. That should take care of most mistaken identity friendly fire.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

I like the original grief system from ps1 which was effective . It makes it obvious to a new player '' +10 grief'' on their screen that they have hit the wrong target . Its a gradual increase from +10 to +15 etc . If you carry on ad lib it soon gets to +100 . At 1000 you get weapon locked.

Squad mates you get no grief for .

I hope they add that if you get weapon locked , you receive no resources until you lose the weapon lock. If you get +10 grief -10 resources would be good, but I could see some real issues . Some goon runs across the front of your tank , you lose resources and get grief . Kinda unforgiving but if they did it at increments over 100 grief you start losing 100 resources as well, then a lock down and gain no resources for 10 minutes might even put off serial griefers .

As an additional note, I would like grief points / weapon locks /losing resources to be added to a characters profile within the soe stat pages. Outfit leaders could then look at this and either refuse applications , or kick people who are constant griefers . After all, all the work your outfit does to gain resources are being squandered by some idiot who is bringing bad rep to your outfit . Plus if they such a bad shot , maybe they need to concentrate on being a medic instead.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
therandomone
Sergeant

I think the opposite of one of your options would be a good thing to combine with what was the PS1 system as well. What I mean by that is, instead of putting a faint glow on enemies you should put a faint glow on friendlies that way night combat isnt ruined and it helps you identify teammates in hopes that you wont shoot them.
Old 2012-06-12, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Zebasiz
Corporal

I do think the system in PS1 will work well, or Will work with some updates as needed for the new mechanics.

As for people who will TK for fun and make new accounts when banned, I'm not sure how truthful this statement is but I heard that new accounts would be unable to TK or grief for a set ammount of time after creation. They would need to play and get cert points to a point before they would even be able to accidently TK. Again this was only something I saw once in some random thread. Though to me it seems like a great solution because it gives genuin new players some time to become familiar with the game without being punished because they don't know how to brake and run over 3 of their own teammates. (I'm not saying the teammates would die and the guy wouldn't be punished, I'm saying he would be unable to damage them for the duration.) And it would also force the trolls to spend much more effort per account to grief, thus making it more work than fun to troll. reducing it somewhat.

Last edited by Zebasiz; 2012-06-12 at 12:53 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 02:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Elim
Private

The grief system in the original game works pretty well in my opinion. Since nades now cost resources and the thumper's gone, all together with the short TTK, I imagine the grief system will be more punishing. However, as mentioned, in battles with such enormous scale, friendly fire seems unavoidable. I believe this problem can be solved by a different approach.

A smart hit detection system to determine the source of incoming damage.
If the source is friendly, the player only takes a portion of the damage (as in friendly fire in counter strike), and the source player receives minor grief points.

In the original game, when friendly fire occur, only a simple counter is shown on the screen, I felt it to be vary ambiguous and should be changed to a more obvious warning sign.

If someone is killed by friendly fire however, major grief points should be given due the the diminished damage, and the warning given.

All being said, beta will provide more insights on this particular subject.

On a side note, the current kill cam can be quite rage inducing when you see a friendly assisted in your demise.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion