Platoon size? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No humans here, just meat popsicles.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-27, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Akadios
Sergeant

Re: Platoon size?

100 Person Platoons are confirmed as far as we know the question of this thread is has anyone actually heard an official statement otherwise.

GamesBeat: Richard Garriott’s Tabula Rasa was more like the last big sci-fi MMO effort, and that failed. [Trion's Defiance hasn't launched yet.

Smedley: Yeah. The difference between that game and this is: This is a shooter; this is an FPS; that’s all this is. It’s all playver versus player. There is no player versus environment in this. We’ve built in these very deep features for coordinated gameplay. Much deeper than you’ll see in any other game. We’ve got platoons that let you form together squads of 10, and you can get 10 squads of 10 together, you have a platoon of 100 people playing together. Then you have an outfit of 500 to 1000 people, which is like a large clan. It really is taking what’s traditional FPS gameplay and expanding it to a very large level. We think gamers are going to like that.

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/18/so...view/view-all/

Edit: Latest information posted by PS2 on Youtube on Jun 25th says 30 man Platoons, so either Smedley mis-spoke or they changed it. Quote for source.

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
It's actually all mentioned in detail in the very latest official PS2 video from SOE:

PlanetSide 2 - E3 Theater Presentation

1 Squad = 10 Players.

1 Platoon = 3 Squads = 30 Players.

/BB

Last edited by Akadios; 2012-06-27 at 10:09 AM.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Karrade
First Sergeant

If the galaxy holds 20 then it should be 20, 40 or 60 surely logically? (100 works too) Otherwise you just have 10 space sitting around, unless a non platoon joins in.

Will there be any way to group up platoons easily or remain in contact with other platoon leaders? So if people did want to work together they could? Then the numbers would matter less anyway. 100 people though sounds excellent if that is the case that way there is plenty of room for people to work together more easily.

Originally Posted by Darkace View Post
Hopefully a platoon is only 3 squads. Eventually though I want to see the ability to form companies of up to 3 platoons.
^
This would be excellent, and help a great deal.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-06-27 at 09:50 AM.
Old 2012-06-27, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Akadios
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Karrade View Post
If the galaxy holds 20 then it should be 20, 40 or 60 surely logically? (100 works too) Otherwise you just have 10 space sitting around, unless a non platoon joins in.

Will there be any way to group up platoons easily or remain in contact with other platoon leaders? So if people did want to work together they could? Then the numbers would matter less anyway. 100 people though sounds excellent if that is the case that way there is plenty of room for people to work together more easily.

^
This would be excellent, and help a great deal.
I edited the main post, 100 man platoons are confirmed the thread is about if anyone heard something else not if it is a good idea. Source is provided in main thread.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
BillyBob
Corporal

It's actually all mentioned in detail in the very latest official PS2 video from SOE:

1 Squad = 10 Players.

/BB
Old 2012-06-27, 10:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Akadios
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

1 Squad = 10 Players.

/BB
Thank you for something that is new and official That was what I have been asking for the whole time. I am glad Smedley had misspoke or was misquoted.
Old 2012-06-27, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
BillyBob
Corporal

Originally Posted by Akadios View Post
Thank you for something that is new and official That was what I have been asking for the whole time. I am glad Smedley had misspoke or was misquoted.
You're welcome, just glad I could be of some help!

With all the different statements flying around and everything being in flux, it's difficult to tell what is what.

Anyway, seeing as this is in the latest official video, it hopefully also means that it's the most accurate and up-to-date information on the subject. At least until something new pops up suggesting otherwise.

/BB
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion