ProSiebenSat.1 - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Even Ray Charles could see it.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-15, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Re: ProSiebenSat.1

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Codemasters werent small company and they had experience in gaming industry, yet they failed to provide Lotro good service (compared to Turbine), so Turbine took it back. This sort of deal never work.
Well, maybe it never worked (although I dont know all deals), but that doesn't mean it cannot work.
Besides LOTRO and DnDO were Codemasters first steps in publishing MMOs and they had no previous experience in the field. Also they did not build up their involvement in the section which makes me believe they went into MMO publishing somply because MMOs were "in" these years and as the two big franchises promissed a quick buck. And not because they had a wider interest in it. At least that seems to be different with Pro7Sat1 as they really seem to want to push Sevengames to be a long-term platform and income basis.

At least give them the benefit of the doubt

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
I am Dutch, and the localized support isn't in my lanuage. So that advantage is not for everyone. Not that I mind, since I can speak/write English good, but still... And I also have never seen any marketing of that company here.
They do have a dutch section on their website so I suppose that at least support will be available in dutch. (But of course I dont know for sure)

Originally Posted by SergeantNubins View Post
The other thing that really concerns me is that they are a German company. Now the Germans are good at many things, but they have a terrible record on video game censorship. I think it was Tera that launched recently and the German company that the devs had hired in this sort of a deal (squashed frog or something like that) had to censor the game client for all of Europe, based on draconian German censorship laws (which from what i've read over the last years in news items on tech sites and gaming sites, seems to be getting worse). Blood and a number of suggestive costumes for female avatars all had to be changed or removed to comply with German law. This meant a huge number of EU players simply bought the US client, as the devs had not tied down their systems and if you went to the main game website and bought it, it automatically set you up with the north american client. So why did they even need the german middle man in the first place!?
I really don't want to get an in argument here so I leave it at that: your comment is based on wrong info on so many levels. Rest assured: this will not be a concern for PS2.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2012-07-15 at 01:24 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by Emperor Newt View Post
Well, maybe it never worked (although I dont know all deals), but that doesn't mean it cannot work.
Besides LOTRO and DnDO were Codemasters first steps in publishing MMOs and they had no previous experience in the field. Also they did not build up their involvement in the section which makes me believe they went into MMO publishing somply because MMOs were "in" these years and as the two big franchises promissed a quick buck. And not because they had a wider interest in it. At least that seems to be different with Pro7Sat1 as they really seem to want to push Sevengames to be a long-term platform and income basis.

At least give them the benefit of the doubt

They do have a dutch section on their website so I suppose that at least support will be available in dutch. (But of course I dont know for sure)

I really don't want to get an in argument here so I leave it at that: your comment is wrong and based on flawed info on so many levels. This will not be a concern for PS2.
Well this is in their FAQ:

Will European players only have access to German Customer Service?
European players will be provided with support and customer service in their own respective language, including English, French, Italian, Spanish, and German.
And it does say ''including''. But if there are other lanuages, why not just put them there? It's like saying, our game has more than 20 guns, with the game having just 21 guns.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
Well this is in their FAQ:

And it does say ''including''. But if there are other lanuages, why not just put them there? It's like saying, our game has more than 20 guns, with the game having just 21 guns.
Ah, thats really odd. Especially since their current website provide sections for Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Germany and a COM which I suppose is for England + everybody else. So they do not have sections for Italy and Spain which would already require them to get additional support workers speaking different languages.
Well, maybe we will get more info on that during Gamescom.
Old 2012-07-15, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Why give EU players localized support and do marketing with a multi-billion dollar media company? It's how EU players should be treated. We now have regular conversations and meetings whose only topic is "What about the EU?" all because of this deal.

I'm familiar with the deals you mention and I can assure this is a whole different ball game.
thanks for the reply. I think this next snippit demonstrates it best

Originally Posted by SergeantNubins View Post

Sony on the other hand.. has a network and presence in all of those countries, thanks to the PS3. Why does a Sony owned company, need to go to a third party with a limited network in Europe to distribute it's product?
the deal is done, and you are working around it, but it still bemuses me. I will be playing on US servers nonetheless
Old 2012-07-15, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Nasher
Sergeant

Does anyone know yet how this system will work?

E.g. If I create a new account with SOE and say I'm in the US (when I'm not) will I be able to continue logging in with that account through SOE when using an EU IP? Or will I need to spoof my IP?

Last edited by Nasher; 2012-07-15 at 02:06 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

To hell with wonky pings, going to play on a US East coast server
Old 2012-07-15, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

E.g. If I create a new account with SOE and say I'm in the US (when I'm not) will I be able to continue logging in with that account through SOE when using an EU IP? Or will I need to spoof my IP?
Nobody knows. Thats why everyone is freaking out. We are expecting worst possibility.
Old 2012-07-15, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Sotonian
Corporal

Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
To hell with wonky pings, going to play on a US East coast server
Same, i am not playing with people speaking French or Russian over VOIP
Old 2012-07-15, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Focusing on the positive: a company that's dropped the ball once before will be eager to learn from those mistakes next time?

All I know is they better carry on the tradition of triple station cash sales. Or is that station euros?

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-15, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
thanks for the reply. I think this next snippit demonstrates it best

the deal is done, and you are working around it, but it still bemuses me. I will be playing on US servers nonetheless
The difference between managing a PC and PS3 product may seem minor but they are very different. Also while we are part of Sony this would be like the TV division asking the DVD division for help distributing. It's just not the same business even though they are both electronics.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Codemasters werent small company and they had experience in gaming industry, yet they failed to provide Lotro good service (compared to Turbine), so Turbine took it back. This sort of deal never work.

Codemasters didnt screw up Lotro. They actually went out of the MMO business mostly. As for the Cause of this: Jumpgate Evolution.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Honestly, it's not hard this....

Regarding accounts. There will be no region locks! If you want to play on the US servers, you create a SOE account and use that to login to the game. If you want to play on the EU servers, you create a Pro7 account and login to the EU servers. Doesn't matter where you're from or what your IP address is... you will still be able to to create a set of both account types if you so wish. This is the latest info we have from SOE regarding the deal with Pro7, accounts and servers specifically for PS2.

The major thing that should be a concern, is how your current amount of station cash on your SOE account will be handled. I think they said we will be able to move the account into Pro7's care (and I guess the whole value of your station cash will follow.. not 100% on that though). What is a concern is that... while the game is free, that station cash wasn't. And simply handing it over into the care of a company we don't know anything about seems like a gamble. Like many have said; deals like this have been done in the past, and it hasn't always turned out good for the customer. I don't know about this company... SOE I can trust whitout not knowing, because it's their name all over game, it's their time and money that's gone into the development of it. Pro7 doesn't have the same stakes in, so how do I know I can trust them be as serious about it as SOE will be? Well, reading up on them doesn't seem to help... I try not to be affected too much by what's written about companies online without first hand experience myself. But it's hard not to feel worried.

That's the pickle... as far as I'm concerned. Not just the money we've put into the SOE accounts... I mean it's not that much money... I doubt anyone of you sold your house or wedding ring to buy station cash (don't answer that...). But the fact that when deciding on whether to go with US or EU servers, we either have to put up with latency issues, or we're walking bare assed first into the care of a company we know nothing about (not that many good things at least), that has nowhere near as much riding on this as SOE does... that makes it seem like they just saw a fast way of making easy $$. And that is never a good thing for us....

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
The difference between managing a PC and PS3 product may seem minor but they are very different. Also while we are part of Sony this would be like the TV division asking the DVD division for help distributing. It's just not the same business even though they are both electronics.
Good point. But isn't Pro7 a TV station....? Or isn't doing what they do also a lot different from what they're about to do with PS2? And yes, that is a serious question.

Last edited by Sabot; 2012-07-15 at 03:43 PM.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

~It will be fine, in fact SOE have specifically said it will be fine ... if you mean that with your SOE account you will play on US servers ofc.

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
Or is that station euros?
Fekkin hell I hope not .... after all this is a triple A game not a pile of dingoes do-do's

Nobody knows. Thats why everyone is freaking out. We are expecting worst possibility.
Actually, we do know cos we've been told.
Old 2012-07-15, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Codemasters didnt screw up Lotro. They actually went out of the MMO business mostly. As for the Cause of this: Jumpgate Evolution.
They screw it pretty badly. Maybe it wasnt why it went back under turbine but it was shitty service anyway.
And as i saw what they did i see where Pro7 will fail too as some of that problems isnt about company, its about they wanting to manage something they have no knowledge.
So Codemasters shitty service: (what it could be in PS2)
  • Terrible website with no information (well there is always US version)
  • Barren forums as you never get any response as they didnt know anything (In PS2 we can post in SOE forums so it could be better)
  • No website access to characters/armory (PS2 will provide tons of info from servers - will that be true for Pro7 servers too?)
  • 2-4 weeks delay in updates was no exception (lets hope since SOE handles servers/updates it wont be that bad)
  • Terrible ingame support when there was some nonstandard problem (well theyre usually trained monkeys, but as theyre extern then dont have someone deeper knowledge about game nearby - that probably will be true for PS2 too)
  • Delay when resolving bugs/problems as they was only another layer of communication - only thing they could do is to repost it to Turbine. (dont seem like something that would be different in PS2)
  • Once they stepped down they stopped to care, ignoring any problems with account transfer (few guildmates lost their lifetime account during that) - i dont want to lose my account when Pro7 experiment fail and they move it back. Ill stay on my SOE account.
Old 2012-07-15, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
derito
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabot View Post
Good point. But isn't Pro7 a TV station....? Or isn't doing what they do also a lot different from what they're about to do with PS2? And yes, that is a serious question.
I guess their experience with F2P games AND TV in Europe is something Sony may not have. Although it does look like the business/marketing guys made that deal and then left the people who spent months/years on the actual products to deal with the consequences.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion