Identical: TR & NC Pistols - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of Strategery and Nuculer Weapons.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-16, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Kriegson
Master Sergeant

Re: Identical: TR & NC Pistols

Obviously the amazing, badass, utterly manly handcannon capable of womanizing as an inanimate object New Conglomerate MagShot is a far superior and largely incomparable piece of craftsmanship as opposed to the insignificant TR peashooter of men with small genitalia and erectile dysfunction.

~ This post was made with absolutely no faction bias what-so-ever!

Last edited by Kriegson; 2012-07-16 at 08:01 PM.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
pengalor
Private

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
Big slow rounds like the .45 and hollowpoint rounds of almost every caliber are worthless against body armor.
Neither would the 9mm. Most body armor you're going to want to rely on a heavier round if you want to get through it guaranteed.

Originally Posted by Noivad View Post
1. First I never went off topic. This is a Gun Post - please read title.

There is a difference between the two weapons - all 3 in fact. The TR are known for having to shoot more rounds to effect damage then do the NC or VS. It is reasonable to infer that to do this they need a lighter round to be able to carry it. The 9mm fits.

2. The NC weapons are known for more stopping power at close range. More like a Shot Pistol then a round firing weapon. It was called the Scatter Pistol holding 8 shotgun shells. PS2 should keep it the same with a barrel mod for it to shoot lead slugs.

3. Its not my precious 9mm round, most of the world military, and police departments carry them. I also stated I use the Hollow points. It would be interesting to see if SOE has more then the two different types of ammo. (Standard White) or Armor Piercing Gold) they had in the orginal game.

4. My prespective is purely from a military standpoint. In my time with the Military, and some in civilian life, I have fired well over 300 different weapons from .177 to 40 mm rounds. I carried the m1911 - taught pmi and operated firing ranges as a NCOIC on many different weapons.

5. However if you are into the 9mm vs 45 Cal debate then this article is one of the best references for it. That you need to decide for yourself. If you ever get shot at in real life maybe you may change your preferences too.

http://joebarrett.wordpress.com/2010...bout-it-first/

Lastly to the indivual who refered to me as a gun nut. Maybe a "Weapons Nut" might be more accurate. If it kills or maimes, I've probally handled one.

I would not mind seeing crossbows come in to ps2. Hatchet and knife throwing for close quarter fighting as well.
First, I never said you went off-topic I was simply separating the second part of my reply as being in response to the original post. No need to get offended there, sparky : P.

I also don't remember implying that the guns were similar at all or that a 9mm wouldn't be a sensible round for the TR weapon. In fact, a 9mm round would make perfect sense considering the footage shows it as a sort of machine-pistol and as such a 9mm would probably be ideal.

2) I don't disagree at all, I didn't play PS1 so I didn't know the specifics of the pistols in that game. I would love to see a .410 style pistol (or some bullshit futuristic design, doesn't need to be found in reality). Was just saying that a revolver style weapon would certainly fit the ideology of the NC.

3) I was just poking a bit of fun with the whole 'precious' thing, seemed like you had a bit of a hard-on for that round, that's all ; ). I would love to see a number of different rounds, the more the merrier, all calibers and purposes. In fact, I've been particularly interested in seeing some sort of AT/AM rifle for the Infiltrator, probably a pain in the ass to implement but I digress. It seems they've at least got some different style underslung grenade rounds, let's hope they bring that same fervor to rifle rounds.

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Keep your nose clean and we'll get along fine.

(between you and me, Me and the rats buried the hatchet years ago...)
You buried the hatchet along with the rats' dismembered carcasses?
Old 2012-07-16, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kriegson View Post
Obviously the amazing, badass, utterly manly handcannon capable of womanizing as an inanimate object New Conglomerate MagShot is a far superior and largely incomparable piece of craftsmanship as opposed to the insignificant TR peashooter of men with small genitalia and erectile dysfunction.

~ This post was made with absolutely no faction bias what-so-ever!

If you weren't already a treasonous bastard, I'd have you tried for treason!
Old 2012-07-16, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

True, the NC Pistol's barrel should be larger... 10 gauge at minimum.

Old 2012-07-16, 08:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by pengalor View Post
2) I don't disagree at all, I didn't play PS1 so I didn't know the specifics of the pistols in that game. I would love to see a .410 style pistol (or some bullshit futuristic design, doesn't need to be found in reality). Was just saying that a revolver style weapon would certainly fit the ideology of the NC.
PS1 didn't have any specifics on ammo types. All that was known is that NC used a lot of magnetic acceleration and of course VS has their plasma weapons. It's one of the reasons I think bringing up caliber is a silly thing to do in the first place.

You buried the hatchet along with the rats' dismembered carcasses?
Only the TR and VS ones.

As an FYI "Ratstomping" is an archaic verb for being sneaky or underhanded. It eventually gained a context of getting into trouble in some way (In sort of a rascally, good-natured kind of way). Nothing really to do with rats, furries or any other stuff that people have suspected.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
NMnine
Private

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Really, the NC pistol SHOULD have been a revolver.
Revolvers always hit harder than a similar caliber semi-auto because the bullet's energy isn't being used to cycle the action. Plus, it's natural to have a lower ammo capacity in a revolver than a semi-auto.

So it would naturally have more power and fewer rounds than its TR counterpart... that's 100% NC. I hope they get around to changing it to (or at least giving the option of) a revolver at some point.
Not goona lie, I would love a fat revolver for the NC. Good thing is that with the f2p model, its VERY likely they will add something like this at some point. Yeehaw!

Off topic: It always freaks me out a little when you Americans talk about what gun you "carry". Don't you guys think its weird to walk around with a gun? o.O well whatever
Old 2012-07-16, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by NMnine View Post
Off topic: It always freaks me out a little when you Americans talk about what gun you "carry". Don't you guys think its weird to walk around with a gun? o.O well whatever
Not as weird as you might think. There are definitely scary people out there that shouldn't carry guns by the way they talk. I've heard some people talk about their "everyday carry's" lethality with a gleam in their eye. However, the vast majority of concealed carry (and even more open carriers) seem to be decent and very levelheaded people.

Also, most people do not carry in the U.S.; I never really had a reason to, so I don't (also not fond of the hoops you have to jump through). I know people who have jobs in potentially dangerous places and professions (non police and military) and they carry as a matter of safety.

"A gun is like a tourniquet; you hope you never need it, but when you do need it, you need it very badly."
Old 2012-07-16, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Not as weird as you might think. There are definitely scary people out there that shouldn't carry guns by the way they talk. I've heard some people talk about their "everyday carry's" lethality with a gleam in their eye. However, the vast majority of concealed carry (and even more open carriers) seem to be decent and very levelheaded people.

Also, most people do not carry in the U.S.; I never really had a reason to, so I don't (also not fond of the hoops you have to jump through). I know people who have jobs in potentially dangerous places and professions (non police and military) and they carry as a matter of safety.

"A gun is like a tourniquet; you hope you never need it, but when you do need it, you need it very badly."
Almost everyone i know carries a concealed weapon XD Imagine if someone went into a Starbucks with a m-16 strapped on them.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
Almost everyone i know carries a concealed weapon XD Imagine if someone went into a Starbucks with a m-16 strapped on them.
There was a story a while back where a starbucks served an open carrier. No problems were had. The man was polite. The business was done. No threatening or untoward things happened and people were still up in arms (so to speak) about it. Starbucks pretty much said "Sit down and shut up guys".

It was pretty cool of them.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-16, 08:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I've seen revolvers with built in rails under the barrel. They make scopes for hunting revolvers, don't see why they wouldn't make other top attachments.

The Smith&Wesson M&P R8, for instance. Although, I would want something more thematically appropriate looking...

That's actually the same revolver as the one I linked. The top rail is detachable on the R8 (used to be called the TRR8).

Revolvers for the NC could add a nice style to them. Though I don't think it's worth redoing the gun models and adding new animations for loading the cylinder.

And then there's the bit about how suppressors don't work well with revolvers. However, nanites...
Old 2012-07-16, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
That's actually the same revolver as the one I linked. The top rail is detachable on the R8 (used to be called the TRR8).

Revolvers for the NC could add a nice style to them. Though I don't think it's worth redoing the gun models and adding new animations for loading the cylinder.

And then there's the bit about how suppressors don't work well with revolvers. However, nanites...
I thought they looked similar on second look. I wanted one that showed the rail under the barrel, though.

It IS probably a little late to be asking for it (and that makes me sad).

EDIT: Setting your game centuries in the future gives an added bonus of the fact you can pretty much BS whatever made up technologies you want. I mean, we've got hover tanks and undeath...

Last edited by Ratstomper; 2012-07-16 at 08:43 PM.
Old 2012-07-16, 08:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

There was a story a while back where a starbucks served an open carrier. No problems were had. The man was polite. The business was done. No threatening or untoward things happened and people were still up in arms (so to speak) about it. Starbucks pretty much said "Sit down and shut up guys".

It was pretty cool of them.
*guy pulls up in a T-55 fully armed* Yeah, can i have a mocha frap?
Old 2012-07-16, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
pengalor
Private

PS1 didn't have any specifics on ammo types. All that was known is that NC used a lot of magnetic acceleration and of course VS has their plasma weapons. It's one of the reasons I think bringing up caliber is a silly thing to do in the first place.

Only the TR and VS ones.

As an FYI "Ratstomping" is an archaic verb for being sneaky or underhanded. It eventually gained a context of getting into trouble in some way (In sort of a rascally, good-natured kind of way). Nothing really to do with rats, furries or any other stuff that people have suspected.
Fair enough on the calibers. I just think it would add that tiny bit of extra variety, having them as their own attachment class that could say, increase damage vs. armored target but weaken against standard infantry, that sort of thing.

As for the name, say no more. I can't count all the times people have tried to figure out my name, much less the amount of times people have tried to say or type it and gotten it completely wrong. My favorite was someone who called me 'pregnator'.
Old 2012-07-16, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NMnine View Post
Personally, my parents were both police when I was growing up. They'd come home, put their gun belt on the table, and help me with my homework. It was natural because a gun is just a tool that increases the effectiveness of the user.

I think some people get hung up on guns' killing power, but its a pretty unfair and irrational. Guns are generally used to incapacitate an aggressor (even in war), and the vast majority of gunshot victims go on to live long and happy lives. A knife is much more effective at killing than a pistol in many situations, but has avoided the same hollywood-driven stigma. I certainly don't like the idea of living in a place where the physically strong are able to victimize or kill the weak, simply because the weak don't have the proper tool to defend themselves (even though I'm living in a place like that atm...)
Old 2012-07-16, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
DukeTerror
Private

Is everyone 100% sure that the NC don't already get a revolver as an option for a pistol? The one video with them looking at the cert loadouts and classes showed TR with 3 different pistols. They all looked the same but that could have just been placeholder thumbnails on the weapon screen for all we know. They don't seem to be afraid to have a lot of weapon models.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion