From a tactical gamer, jaded by 'trendy' modern shooters - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your sig has been pre-axed.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-23, 12:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Re: from a tactical gamer, jaded by 'trendy' modern shooters

Originally Posted by soulsurfsublime View Post
I to hope that this game is more tactical and organized outfit driven. Like I stated in another post about k/d, I think if you find a core group of players or better yet an outfit that is like minded to your play-style all will be well.
This is the main and most important thing. Surround yourself with people of a like mind, then it doesn't matter what the other people are doing.
Old 2012-07-23, 12:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Tactical Shooter: Counterstrike, Arma
Games characterised by lots of options and complexity. Not that they are "hard to learn", but that not everyone is going to be good at everything.

Twitch Shooters: Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, Battlefield
Games characterised by lots of options, persay, but little complexity, and center on reflexes more than not. Everything is simplified so as to be usable by people who have no idea what the hell they are looking at, so anyone can get in and feel like a "badass" of whatever flavor they choose, be it infantry, tank driver, helicopter pilot, etc. Low learning curve, in general. Skill is present, but the simplification of mechanics greatly reduces its effects.
No offense meant, but it just seems like you are choosing games arbitrarily to put into each category.

CS for example relied as much on twitch as COD or BF do. It was also faster paced than the two because of it's round system along with having similar TTK's.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-07-23 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I think that as long as SOE stays true to what PlanetSide is, things will be fine. PS1 had a lot of flaws, but at its core it had the right idea. Hopefully PS2 isn't to PS1 what 'SWTOR' was to 'SWG. A new and improved, bigger and better steaming pile of shit, with good voice acting.

Old 2012-07-23, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
The Kush
Captain

I agree I want a tactical difficult game that rewards skill and teamwork. Not a game where everyone is running around crazy and a noob can kill you because you have dumbed down the game so much
Old 2012-07-23, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
@Fuzzyblue

This is not directly related to TTK (shorter TTKs are actually more realistic). .
I read some stuff on body armor on wikipedia. Durin the american civil war death to injury ratio was nearly 1-1. In vietnam that had climbed to 2.5 injuries per death. In Afghanistan our modern american army has 7 injuries per death. So all I can conclude from that is modern gameplay does not realistically potray body armor and the ttk in modern games would be more similar to civil war casualities when everyone only had a dyed wool jacket to stop bullets.

Last edited by Sledgecrushr; 2012-07-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sledgecrushr View Post
I read some stuff on body armor on wikipedia. Durin the american civil war death to injury ratio was nearly 1-1. In vietnam that had climbed to 2.5 injuries per death. In Afghanistan our modern american army has 7 injuries per death. So all I can conclude from that is modern gameplay does not realistically potray body armor and the ttk in modern games would be more similar to civil war casualities when everyone only had a dyed wool jacket to stop bullets.
How does this help with the sentiment that players shouldn't be 1 man armies?

I think the 1-1 ratio would be a better to appease players that think tactically wouldn't it?
Old 2012-07-23, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
I agree I want a tactical difficult game that rewards skill and teamwork. Not a game where everyone is running around crazy and a noob can kill you because you have dumbed down the game so much
I really hate the term "noob" passionately.

Are you saying that a new player should have no possible way of killing an experienced player?
Old 2012-07-23, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by brighthand View Post
The charts and trends data will tell you the following:

easier kills = more sales and more money
significantly less waiting = more sales and more money
in game aids such as 3d spotting = more sales and more money
emphasis on killing = more money
simplified tactics if any at all = more sales and more money
kill streaks...kill cams....faster and frequent spawning....
all kinds of rubbish = more sales and more money.

I am one of those millions of the minority who despondently left a game that I thought would be great but was a dud, and happened to discover your game; and my hope is that this game truely is a new Planetside, and not Battleplanet 2: Easy Ops.
I agree for the most part. Bear in mind that you CAN wind up on the other end of the spectrum, which is just as bad. For instance, having super long TTKs (like in the original Planetside) only makes the game frustrating and not fun. There has to be a delicate balance struck with these things, not just according to player taste, but also according to how the game is designed.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The longer the TTK, the less impact an individual player has overall. I always do better in non PS shooters than I do in PS1.

Old 2012-07-23, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by EisenKreutzer View Post
I really hate the term "noob" passionately.

Are you saying that a new player should have no possible way of killing an experienced player?
I completely agree. If ever there was a term used by some of the biggest assholes as an excuse to badmouth and berate anyone and everyone around them for no decent reason, it's the term "noob".

However, I think he's saying that the game shouldn't facilitate new players to the degree that they'll have an even playing field as a vet, even though the vet knows the game better. I.E. super low TTKs.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
lawnmower
Sergeant

Originally Posted by FuzzyandBlue View Post
He said that Killzone 2 awards the skilled player with the kill. But so does every other competent FPS out there; even CoD.
what
cod has among the very lowest skill difference mattering out there

Originally Posted by FuzzyandBlue View Post
As someone who really enjoys a good match of BF3, I get the felling that people who make post like this just aren't that good at most modern shooters.
modern shooter types are among the easiest fps games there has ever been.
so if someone complains on them and references other games for being better in some way, then thats not the thing.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
brighthand
Corporal

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
I agree for the most part. Bear in mind that you CAN wind up on the other end of the spectrum, which is just as bad. For instance, having super long TTKs (like in the original Planetside) only makes the game frustrating and not fun. There has to be a delicate balance struck with these things, not just according to player taste, but also according to how the game is designed.
of course. I wouldn't want an identical game to PS1, I would expect whatever ailments from PS1 to be addressed while new changes/additions are made so that the game ends up being a better, grander, sexier Planetside; the natural evolution of itself.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by lawnmower View Post
what
cod has among the very lowest skill difference mattering out there
If that was true, I would have a lot more kills and a lot fewer deaths whenever I play Modern Warfare 3. I average about 3/15 during a normal round. Meh, that game is too fast for me.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

I think a low ttk is both unrealistic and rewards spray n pray tactics. If you need to land several headshots against a max with your carbine rifle to bring it down then that would effectively make ps2 more skill oriented in its gunplay.
Old 2012-07-23, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

How is low ttk unrealistic?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion