PSA: Listen Up Guys.. - Page 13 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a mosquito in your MAX suit!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-31, 05:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #181
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

Re: PSA: Listen Up Guys..

...Nuuuuh! :/

Well it was bound to happen anyways, no idea why I got my hopes up.

Edit: I just reread the other twitter post, instead of tuesday it's monday/ friday. Does this mean next friday there is still a possibility?

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-07-31 at 05:31 AM.
Old 2012-07-31, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #182
Mox
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Smed likes to announce dates.

Here a classical one:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ide-next-q1-q2

Old 2012-07-31, 06:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #183
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Saw the news on TheForceFeed. Well I am checking my yahoo mail on how to download the beta.
Old 2012-07-31, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #184
FireWater
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Midgard View Post
Hamma is so tranquil because he played the Tech test, we not, that's the difference.
Do you honestly believe that?

Being a game designer must be rough, they need a lot of thick skin. Some gamers are so self entitled I wonder why game companies even bother at all.

All of you players crying wont have a single word to say about beta when you ate in it. Why start now? You act like Hamma has all the food and is just giving breadcrumbs to the community because he can.

If that was the case then why run a website?

Engineer for NUC's Alpha Squad http://www.nucgaming.com
Old 2012-07-31, 06:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #185
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Novice bot View Post
I guess they need to spawn more overlords.
Need more Pylons!
Old 2012-07-31, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #186
docseven
Private

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
HOLD the phone, let this man have beta RIGHT now because another man got a haircut. It's his world and we just live in it.

Chillax brotha! It's all gonna be okay... I promise you will play Planetside 2 unless you are in a terrible accident or your computer breaks or something... let SOE get it right before letting us get our hands on it... I'd much rather my first time playing be an amazing memory and not an unplayable drag.
hmm that will not be right either . They already said all 3k " old school " will not get in . But they are throwing beta keys around like it was dinner rolls for homeless kids . So you will be breaking a promise just as they have . I don't mind them rolling the beta out later then sooner . But by all means lets the " old school " folks in before the beta key bitches in . Which also was promised .
Old 2012-07-31, 06:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #187
snaffe
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mox View Post
Smed likes to announce dates.

Here a classical one:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ide-next-q1-q2

Haha that's pretty chronic
Old 2012-07-31, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #188
docseven
Private

HOLD the phone, let this man have beta RIGHT now because another man got a haircut. It's his world and we just live in it.

Chillax brotha! It's all gonna be okay... I promise you will play Planetside 2 unless you are in a terrible accident or your computer breaks or something... let SOE get it right before letting us get our hands on it... I'd much rather my first time playing be an amazing memory and not an unplayable drag.
Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Just thought I'd point out something that needs mentioning regarding calming the masses whom are, over all, being surprisingly calm... that could be a bad sign for SOE actually.

Requests for one to practice a virtue are made weaker when coming from those whom need not practice those same virtues.

In other words, if you're in some exclusive club, turning around and telling people to wait to get into that exclusive club won't have the same effect as someone standing outside beside them, waiting for access and saying those same words.

Fortunately we seem to be dealing with mere embers, but again, I think this could be a sign people are just getting tired of the roller coaster ride.

NOTE for the public: I have no proof PSU's staff is in the tech test, but I have no reason to doubt with SOE's continual presence on these boards that they do indeed have access.

EDIT: That all said, the way Smed worded his tweets, sounds more like they want to implement a few features and make sure they're working before they bring us in. I'm thinking they really want our first impression to be a mostly finished game, just possibly needs a little balancing and some more features. Always have my fingers crossed for daily invites when they do kick off the closed beta!
well said ..
Old 2012-07-31, 07:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #189
Scotsh
Sergeant

While i agree almost 100% with the OP, i cant on this:#
This shit is complicated...
No, its not, it really isnt. Software development is what i do for a living (although not for a huge public), so i am not pulling all that out of my ass

If you want to give out a date you just have to do the following:
1. Get estimates from your development team and other experts (for server managment etc).
This is standard and should be done regularly throughout every software development process.
2. Use the result of this estimation internally and internally only.
3. Use a worst case estimation and give out that date to the public (depending on the timeframes involved even add something)
Worst case estimates are often used to determine the internal estimation anyway so it doesnt even cost any additional effort.
4. If you achieved completion someday between the internal estimate and the publicly announced worst case estimate there are several ways to proceed.
In the case of PS2 it would have been very simple. If the announced date is still far away, announce a sooner date, no one will really complain about that. If the date is close anyway they could have extended the playerbase of the tech test (whilst still calling it tech test) and transition smoothly to beta.

Is that so hard?
Old 2012-07-31, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #190
snaffe
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post

No, its not, it really isnt. Software development is what i do for a living (although not for a huge public), so i am not pulling all that out of my ass

1. Get estimates from your development team and other experts (for server managment etc).
This is standard and should be done regularly throughout every software development process.
3. Use a worst case estimation and give out that date to the public (depending on the timeframes involved even add something)
Worst case estimates are often used to determine the internal estimation anyway so it doesnt even cost any additional effort.
4. If you achieved completion someday between the internal estimate and the publicly announced worst case estimate there are several ways to proceed.
In the case of PS2 it would have been very simple. If the announced date is still far away, announce a sooner date, no one will really complain about that. If the date is close anyway they could have extended the playerbase of the tech test (whilst still calling it tech test) and transition smoothly to beta.

Is that so hard?
I suspect some of the more reasonable people in SOE must cringe every time Smedley tweets. "WHY DID HE JUST SAY THAT".
Old 2012-07-31, 07:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #191
docseven
Private

Originally Posted by Drakkonan View Post
If you're all so keen on testing other people's software for free, I've got loads of work for you all to do. Hell, I might even pay you.
if you pay me i'm there send me links
Old 2012-07-31, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #192
Flisher
Private

My main concern come from the fact the Devz stated over and over that this is a real beta, not a marketting bullshit like many other mmo.

People will face problem and come to whine to everyone and their sister that thing are broken or feature are missing.

I prefer to see that date delayed as long as possible.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #193
Hamma
PSU Admin

@ Clegg

This so doesn't help the fight against downys.

Edit: It actually shows some skinny dude doing voice recording professionaly. I take it back, this might actually help fight off downys.

Edit Edit: Wow, that's hamma. Brother they do sell meat at the grocery store. <3

Edit Edit Edit: And I can donate you a wide screen :P
This was about 7 or 8 years ago back when I used to do Hamma Time broadcasts on AGN. Here is the source - someone did this way back then and it's still up?

http://hamma.ytmnd.com

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-07-31, 08:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #194
ArcGuard
Corporal

Originally Posted by Scotsh View Post

Is that so hard?
Software development and game development are nowhere near the same thing.

As for your credibility as an expert: what kind of "software" do you develop? Because if it is apps for the iphone, that really doesn't count at all. Do you have any experience with game development and all the setbacks that can potentially happen? Have you ever done any server maintenance on extremely high traffic servers? Have you ever made or modified any code pertaining to web based traffic?

Until you have experience in the field, you don't really understand what they're dealing with. You know better than some, sure. You probably have more accurate expectations, yes. But you still don't really understand.
Old 2012-07-31, 08:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #195
Manitou
Contributor
Old War Horse

Oh man, clegg, that one had me rolling.

Manitou
"
On the plains of hesitation lie the bones of countless millions who, upon the dawn of victory, sat down to rest and resting, died."
<))><
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion